LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

USAirways Magazine criticizes Lexus LS460 Navigation System Lockouts

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-07, 08:30 PM
Technique
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default USAirways Magazine criticizes Lexus LS460 Navigation System Lockouts

I was reading the USAirways magazine today and they had a review of the LS460... Guess what? They were criticizing the navigation system's lockouts!!!

http://www.usairwaysmag.com/alloverthemap01.php

"Unfortunately, the GPS navigation system is optional — rather surprising for a car with a base price of $61,000. Further, Lexus cripples the navigation system by prohibiting passengers from inputting new destinations while on the go."

Let's hope that other publications follow this trend and criticize Lexus for not letting passengers input destinations while on the go!
Old 03-27-07, 08:32 PM
IndyJeff
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Technique
I was reading the USAirways magazine today and they had a review of the LS460... Guess what? They were criticizing the navigation system's lockouts!!!

http://www.usairwaysmag.com/alloverthemap01.php

"Unfortunately, the GPS navigation system is optional — rather surprising for a car with a base price of $61,000. Further, Lexus cripples the navigation system by prohibiting passengers from inputting new destinations while on the go."

Let's hope that other publications follow this trend and criticize Lexus for not letting passengers input destinations while on the go!
So how many lives does the lockout feature have to save in order to be considered a good idea and a valuable safeguard? Twenty? Or maybe five? Just one??
Old 03-27-07, 08:39 PM
Technique
Lexus Champion

I don't think preventing the passenger from inputting destinations saves any lives...
Old 03-27-07, 08:49 PM
Luxofreak
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

^^He's right... but I guess for Lexus who guarantees that the driver won't be doing it? Better safe than sorry - the Japanese know this is sue-happy land. "I crashed my car while fondling the screen, but it's not my fault" - they don't want to deal with this kind of crap, and I don't blame them.
Old 03-27-07, 08:53 PM
Technique
Lexus Champion

Acura is Japanese and they allow anyone (including driver) to use the full navigation system while in motion...

Anyway, yes, Lexus is saying "better safe than sorry"... I'm just glad to see them getting a bit of heat for it... Especially in the LS460...
Old 03-28-07, 12:41 AM
Mr. Jones
Lexus Test Driver

I wish more companies would follow Lexus.
Old 03-28-07, 06:58 AM
nobuddy
Rookie

Originally Posted by Mr. Jones
I wish more companies would follow Lexus.
Hopefully, Lexus will take the lead in other safety areas as well. A few examples of areas in which Lexus could establish leadership:

1). Since the highest speed limit allowed in the US is 70 (with a few exceptions), all Lexii will be speed limited to 70mph. Since speed differentials between vehicles is a major cause of accidents, no Lexus will be allowed to accelerate to 60 faster than 9.4 seconds.

2). Radios will not function when the car is moving more than 3 mph, as a driver listening to the radio is a driver who is not paying attention to the road.

3). All Lexii will include cellphone jammers.

4). Makeup mirrors will be auto-locked when the car is moving.

5). Food sensors will stop the cars if the odor of food is detected. You can't eat and drive.

6). The number one cause of accidents is distractions, so from now on Lexus will build only one-seat cars. Passengers can be so very distracting.

The technology for all of this is here today, let's hope Lexus starts applying it, so we can all be safer on the road.

Old 03-28-07, 07:01 AM
GRAND_LS 4
3UZ-FEEEE

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

I have to be honest and somewhat agree that when I'm fiddling with my screen, I'm not really paying attention to the road as i should be. Sometimes when I'm driving my usual route, wonder how i got there, as i have been either day dreaming, or messing with the navi for sometime. Its crazy when you think about it sometimes.

Which is why i stop now when i have to work the navi... esp when im driving in places I've never been too... and thats usually when I most need my navi (autopilot can only work so well)
Old 03-28-07, 08:03 AM
IndyJeff
Rookie

Originally Posted by GRAND_LS 4
I have to be honest and somewhat agree that when I'm fiddling with my screen, I'm not really paying attention to the road as i should be. Sometimes when I'm driving my usual route, wonder how i got there, as i have been either day dreaming, or messing with the navi for sometime. Its crazy when you think about it sometimes.

Which is why i stop now when i have to work the navi... esp when im driving in places I've never been too... and thats usually when I most need my navi (autopilot can only work so well)
That's exactly right. I'm bad about sending text messages on my phone when I'm driving (40+, 50+ mph in stop-and-go city traffic, or 80+mph on the freeway) and I'm breaking myself of the habit. It's dangerous, plain and simple.
Old 03-28-07, 08:19 AM
Hameed
EV ftw!!!

Received 292 Likes on 175 Posts

Originally Posted by nobuddy
Hopefully, Lexus will take the lead in other safety areas as well. A few examples of areas in which Lexus could establish leadership:

1). Since the highest speed limit allowed in the US is 70 (with a few exceptions), all Lexii will be speed limited to 70mph. Since speed differentials between vehicles is a major cause of accidents, no Lexus will be allowed to accelerate to 60 faster than 9.4 seconds.

2). Radios will not function when the car is moving more than 3 mph, as a driver listening to the radio is a driver who is not paying attention to the road.

5). Food sensors will stop the cars if the odor of food is detected. You can't eat and drive.

6). The number one cause of accidents is distractions, so from now on Lexus will build only one-seat cars. Passengers can be so very distracting.

The technology for all of this is here today, let's hope Lexus starts applying it, so we can all be safer on the road.

That was a good laugh!
Old 03-28-07, 09:09 AM
oohpapi44
Lexus Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Hameed
That was a good laugh!
lol, Hameed

Until he's the guy behind you trying to multi-task and drive and doesn't notice that you've stopped short to avoid that child who ran out in the street because he's:

1). Drag racing from light to light

2). Changing his CD's while doing 85mph

3). Arguing on his cell or sending a text message

4). Applying blush or whatever else is in the MAC kit

5). Trying to eat McNuggets AND dip them in the sauce while driving

6). Has a blow up doll of Angelina Jolie in the passenger seat and can't stop taking a peek at her every 45 feet.
Old 03-28-07, 08:55 PM
Mr. Jones
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by nobuddy

Your post doesn't justify leaving the navigation menu open. 3&4 have nothing to do w/Lexus.

Your logic is flawed.
it's okay to murder my spouse, because I killed an insect yesterday.
I don't think so.
Old 03-28-07, 08:58 PM
encore888
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I think he is using hyperbole.
Old 03-29-07, 05:51 AM
Technique
Lexus Champion

BTW, in my original post, the point (and what the article said) was that the PASSENGER should be able to enter destinations while driving...

hehe, those posts above are great though! lol... Props to papi and buddy!
Old 03-29-07, 06:09 AM
CK6Speed
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by GRAND_LS 4

To tell you the truth, I too get distracted by a lot of thing at one time or another. Doesn't really have to be fidling with the LCD screen, or talking on the phone. Sometimes I'm just thinking about something so much that I've actually found myself heading toward my old house.

Quick Reply: USAirways Magazine criticizes Lexus LS460 Navigation System Lockouts