LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Wind noise update (merged threads)

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-07, 01:09 PM
IndyJeff
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Burnaby
This sadly demonstrates that the service advisers in most dealerships are flying by the seat of their pants. You either get ignorance of the problem, as I did with no resolution in sight, or some fabrication that raises owners' hopes with little substance to support it. I have hoped at times that buying upmarket would bring a significant increase in the professionalism both at the sales and service level. However, it is apparent that the line between the Used car lots and the pricey showrooms is blurry indeed, the only distinction being the quality of the thread in their suits. The more things change in the car business, the more they remain the same...
Your generalizations seem a bit harsh for such a minor problem. By your logic, what would have been an acceptable response by the dealership?
Old 06-05-07, 01:27 PM
Johnny
Pole Position

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Perhaps a more informed, consistent and uniform level of communication between the interested parties would be a good start. At this point, the responses from the dealers range between a complete ignorance of the problem, all the way to inaccurate representations. Lexus Corporate should be taking the bull by the horns...

Last edited by Johnny; 06-05-07 at 02:19 PM.
Old 06-05-07, 01:49 PM
nobuddy
Rookie

Originally Posted by IndyJeff
Your generalizations seem a bit harsh for such a minor problem. By your logic, what would have been an acceptable response by the dealership?
I wouldn't characterize this as a minor problem. I'm holding off purchase of an LS because of the wind noise. I test drove one and the wind noise was worse than in an econocar. The L was nice and silent, as is the LS430.

There are many posts about how the LS is not a sports car. If so, then it is a luxury car, which means it must be smooth and quiet. Smooth it is, quiet, the SWB is not.

nb
Old 06-05-07, 02:40 PM
Mallory H.
Driver

I spoke to the Customer Satisfaction Rep again this morning and nonthing has changed they are still waiting to hear from Lexus as to what the fix is for the wind noise. I too do not see this as a minor problem and the price of the car has nonthing to do with it. Several have posted that the glass was to arrive at their dealers this week and their cars were to be repaired this week. From wind noise , tires and glove box all are problems that Lexus is aware of but the fix has been slow to come unless you do it yourself.
If replacing the glass is the fix I could have purchased the glass through parts and had it installed weeks ago but through warranty Lexus is dragging their feet. Until Lexus gives an official notification my good friends, I would dare say there is no fix at this time.
Old 06-05-07, 02:45 PM
Paul B
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Unfortunately, the resale value will suffer and heavy depreciation will result on this first year LS 460, unless and until a fix is made and proof can be demonstrated that the car for resale has already received the fix.
Old 06-05-07, 03:04 PM
Paul B
Driver

Nope, I don't wish that at all. It's just common sense.
Old 06-05-07, 04:12 PM
Paul B
Driver

Hi 460 lex,

You're right, resale is determined by the book, but the book is determined by relative demand, and the demand is a function of many attributes, including overall fitness of purpose, with reliability and lack of problem areas among them.

I'm sure Lexus will make things right and eventually it won't be a problem. It's in their best interest to keep their customers happy with their flagship model.

By the way, I'm happy that you're not experiencing the problem.
Old 06-05-07, 04:53 PM
Johnny
Pole Position

Considering that Lexus is selling 3,000 of these puppies every month, the "noise" we're making here is akin to a mosquito bite on their butts, and is unlikely to cause them too many sleepless nights. But it doesn't hurt to try...
Old 06-05-07, 05:30 PM
Paul B
Driver

Lex 460, not at all, but every owner should readjust their expectations when it comes to resale or trade-in expected. Burnaby, it should cause them sleepless nights because eventually it tarnishes the brand image, which is why we pay a premium to drive a Lexus.
Old 06-05-07, 05:33 PM
Mallory H.
Driver

Originally Posted by Burnaby
Considering that Lexus is selling 3,000 of these puppies every month, the "noise" we're making here is akin to a mosquito bite on their butts, and is unlikely to cause them too many sleepless nights. But it doesn't hurt to try...
You hit the nail on the head with this one, you have really said it all.
Old 06-05-07, 05:52 PM
Johnny
Pole Position

Paul, I don't mean to condescend, but just to clear up my post. A mosquito bite causes an itch which wants a scratch - not that big a deal. Similarly, "not too many sleepless nights", implies that while they are probably thinking about our problem, it may not be that big a glitch on their radar. We're really all on the same side here...
Old 06-05-07, 06:39 PM
Paul B
Driver

Hi Burnaby,

No problem. My feeling is that BECAUSE Lexus is selling 3000 a month, that can lead to a corporate arrogance that removes them from a more intimate customer relationship, which I really don't want to see happen. I truly love what Lexus has accomplished in the automotive marketplace, and I see them moving ever so slightly towards more mainstream automotive practices.

I've owned a 1998 Lexus 400, a 2000 Lexus LX 470, and a 2005 Lexus LS 430. The last two are still in my possession. The LS 400 was an unbelieveably wonderful car, but the LX 470 caused me lots of problems and in dealing with the Lexus customer satisfaction personnel, it was finally resolved within reason, but not until there was a lot of aggravation on my part and the dealer's personnel. To both of us, there were clear issues that Lexus should have handled on a more timely basis.

In the case of the wind noise issues with the LS 460, I only expect them to acknowledge the problem, and tell all their loyal owners that they will provide a fix when they have a handle on it. To date, it appears that they are reluctant to acknowledge that there is a problem, at least on a consistent basis.

They are a wonderful supplier of automobiles and have been since 1989. I only want to see it continue for a long time into the future.
Old 06-05-07, 07:06 PM
Johnny
Pole Position

Great thoughts Paul. Yes, the LS400 was an amazing car, however I could only stand on the sidelines and drool at its mere presence. I was raising a family at the time, and could only afford the luxury of dreaming. Glad my dream eventually came true, and I think and hope like you that Lexus won't forget what got them there in the first place.
Old 06-06-07, 10:55 AM
IndyJeff
Rookie

There must be more than one issue here. In my car, the wind noise is a quiet ruffling noise at about 60 mph and not really getting much louder all the way up to 80. If the windows are 100% up, it's slightly louder with a little more road noise compared to 99% of the way up.

On windy days, it's louder. It's nowhere near as loud as my '06 STS was on windy days, though, and has far less road/tire noise than that car.
Old 06-06-07, 11:56 AM
massshelti
Rookie

None of this would be an issue if Lexus corporate toned down the advertising rhetoric, and stopped claiming that their company is something special. They make a decent automobile that' still a mass-produced consumer product sold by car salesmen. It's not a Rolls. Not a Lambo, and not a Ferrari. It's just a car.

Quick Reply: Wind noise update (merged threads)