LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

XM Signal and Grace DB issues on new LS460 with ML

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-07, 03:59 PM
Maurice
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default XM Signal and Grace DB issues on new LS460 with ML

On my LS460 with ML I have encountered the following issues.

1.- Sometimes the XM is not tuning any XM station – like if it was in an underground garage without signal. I think this mostly occurs when starting the car where there is no signal (like an underground garage); however driving on the outdoors (after failing to pick up the signal indoors) does not restore the tuning in capability. Turning the car off (not just the radio) and restarting the car fixes this problem – but it is annoying. Any one else experienced this?

2. - I have successfully recorded 30+ CDs to the HDD. However I have a few titles that are clearly recognized when inserting the original CD including accurate and complete track information. However when recording begins, the title disappears and gets replaced with the time and date – and track info just appears as “Track..1, 2, etc”. One title I just tried with this problem is “Voice of the Violin” performed by Joshua Bell. I know I can manually enter the info and that not 100% of the titles may be on the database, however when playing the original CD the info is correct – it will just not translate to the recording.
Old 04-15-07, 04:53 PM
Craig B
Pole Position

Received 54 Likes on 38 Posts

I haven't recorded anything onto the hard drive. I don't have any problems with XM, so I would take it to the dealer and ask them about both problems.
I don't get a signal in a garage, but the signal comes on once I get out on the street right away.

Craig
Old 04-15-07, 07:22 PM
Nospinzone

Received 424 Likes on 327 Posts

Regarding problem #2, it may simply be the CD itself. It might not have the proper coding. Here is a link to the AVS Forum, if anyone has a answer to this, someone over there will.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/forum...ysprune=&f=153
Old 04-15-07, 07:27 PM
lexus111
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have not had any problems with my XM at all and it even works in some parking garages here in Las Vegas... I believe that XM has city covering repeat antennas in major cities so that you don't get blind spots near buildings and I believe that Vegas in one of those cities. This may be why we have great coverage here with all of my cars with XM (3 of them).

You may live in an area without the city repeater and or may have a problem with your XM and I would take it back to the dealer.

The CD problem I don't know.
Old 04-15-07, 07:48 PM
2007es350
Lead Lap

Regarding #2, I have ripped about 30 CDs into the HDD. All my CDs and songs have been recognized by Grace Notes and have been correctly labeled after being recorded.
Old 04-15-07, 09:30 PM
dfiorito
Pole Position

I always lose my signal when entering the tunnels in New York, but the signal returns as I exit the tunnels.

This is something I would check with the dealer.
Old 04-16-07, 12:16 PM
ikey78
Driver

The XM issue sounds like a problem with your car. I also have no difficulty picking up the signal after it is lost in a parking garage.

The Gracenote issue has been discussed on these forums before. Below is a copy of a post from gwong that explains the problem very well. Basically on some CD's the song info is not in the Gracenote database but the CD player can read it directly off the disc if it has CD text info. The songs will be recorded to the hard drive but not recognized when played back because the CD text info is not transferred over nor is it readable by the hard drive.

01-12-07, 10:40 AM #8
gwong

Doing a little followup on this thread. The information that is displayed on the screen, such as album title and track name, when playing from the cd is cd text. Cd text has been around since '99, but you need a player that can read that information. Most now can, but not all.

The player in the Lexus can read cd text when its playing. The information that is displayed is cd text. The player doesn't use or access the Gracenote database when playing the audio cd. According to Lexus, cd text information is given priority when playing from the cd.

When the cd is ripped to the hard drive library, the library uses Gracenote, which means if there is no information in the database, no album title or track name is displayed.

Btw, this information is not found in the owners manual, at least that I could find other than the ability to read cd text. Cd text is normally stored on the cd separate from the audio track. When ripping, only the audio is normally recorded. On a home computer, when burning a cd, you have the option of adding cd text to your cd-r, but I believe the added cd text comes from an online database such as Gracenote.

If you want to see title or track information, you're going to have go into the edit mode and add the information manually or wait until your Gracenote database gets updated.
Old 04-18-07, 06:42 AM
jgoergen
Driver School Candidate

Default Just adding...

I think you should bring to the dealer. I have not had a problem. Though, I do have a couple "dead spots" on my way to work. Always in the same place, the XM will go out for a few seconds. I figure it is a satellite direction / interference issue.