LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Prepurchase Buyer's Remorse!

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-07, 12:15 PM
Johnny
Pole Position

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Helmar
That brings up an interesting question.

I'm finally going to use a major LS feature that I've never used on my previous two LS's, that of long term reliability. I plan on keeping my LS600hL for 10 years.

MSRP is 116K, so I wonder what the value will be in 10 years and 120K miles, assuming I keep it as spiffy and well maintained as I plan to.....

HBH
I'm also looking as my LS as a "very long term" purchase; that's why I paid cash. I tend to keep cars for a long time, so depreciation is a non-issue. I kept my 1984 Mazda Rx7 GSL-SE for 14 years on the road and three in the garage. I lost the damn thing in a divorce settlement, but had planned to buy it back and put it on the road, until my Ex sold it to some kid who went off and totalled it and himself a few weeks afterwards. I still look at the crash pics now and again and miss the damn thing. I actually wanted to be buried with it, so maybe the LS will make a comfortable substitute.
Old 04-17-07, 01:33 PM
Nospinzone

Received 425 Likes on 328 Posts

That brings up an interesting question.

I'm finally going to use a major LS feature that I've never used on my previous two LS's, that of long term reliability. I plan on keeping my LS600hL for 10 years.

MSRP is 116K, so I wonder what the value will be in 10 years and 120K miles, assuming I keep it as spiffy and well maintained as I plan to.....

HBH
The only thing I wonder about Hel is supposedly the battery is good for about 10 years. This will be just the time you are ready to sell it. I wonder what kind of cost a new battery will be. I certainly wouldn't let that deter you, but it probably will be a factor in its resale value.
Old 04-17-07, 01:53 PM
Helmar
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Nospinzone
The only thing I wonder about is supposedly the battery is good for about 10 years.
Valid point, but if the rest of the car holds up like a Lexus and I have to purchase a new battery pack at year 8-10, I'll be well pleased.

What DOES a new battery cost, anyway, the equivalent of 1,000 D cells?

Also, I wonder if it also has a regular car battery, or if it uses the battery pack to start the car.....

HBH

Last edited by Helmar; 04-17-07 at 02:02 PM.
Old 04-17-07, 04:16 PM
SockMonkey
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Congratulations chumsdad, you're human! I've owned my new LS460 for exactly one week now and I went through the exact same thing a few days before I picked it up. I started doubting myself too but let me assure you the minute you set eyes on your new car, you'll fall in love all over again. I haven't regretted it for a minute since I picked it up; I used to think my 30 minute commute to work was too long but since having the LS, I wish it were longer! As long as you have your other priorities in order, and it sounds like you do, just enjoy treating yourself to one of the best cars on the market.
Old 04-17-07, 04:55 PM
lexus111
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Now that is a picture that I would like to see posted here... I think that all of us who own these cars feel the same as 460lex. Not sure about the thought of leaning over the engine for a Kiss and a Picture but with the right female in the shot it might look better than if I did it.
Old 04-17-07, 05:13 PM
Nospinzone

Received 425 Likes on 328 Posts

A kiss is fine as long as you have allowed the engine to cool down!
Old 04-17-07, 08:50 PM
chumsdad
Rookie

Originally Posted by LuvMyLS460
Congratulations chumsdad, you're human! I've owned my new LS460 for exactly one week now and I went through the exact same thing a few days before I picked it up. I started doubting myself too but let me assure you the minute you set eyes on your new car, you'll fall in love all over again. I haven't regretted it for a minute since I picked it up; I used to think my 30 minute commute to work was too long but since having the LS, I wish it were longer! As long as you have your other priorities in order, and it sounds like you do, just enjoy treating yourself to one of the best cars on the market.
Okay that's the final straw! I'm going for it! I just made the final investment moves to fatten the money market account. Now, I can do this and also pay the bill for the IRS and any other unexpected expected expenses that might crop up. The deal on my CTS trade is all set. So I guess it's time to push START and go! (is it running, I can't hear it??)

Critical updates will follow.
Old 04-18-07, 04:08 AM
Johnny
Pole Position

Originally Posted by chumsdad
So I guess it's time to push START and go! (is it running, I can't hear it??)
You won't hear it much (Mark Levinson will make sure of that), but you will feel it pushing your back.
Old 04-18-07, 11:50 AM
TWQ83
Rookie

Default Hybrid Battery

Valid point, but if the rest of the car holds up like a Lexus and I have to purchase a new battery pack at year 8-10, I'll be well pleased.

What DOES a new battery cost, anyway, the equivalent of 1,000 D cells?

Also, I wonder if it also has a regular car battery, or if it uses the battery pack to start the car.....

HBH
chumsdad Sounds as if you've made your decision and that's perfect!!!! Congrats on the LS .........You Deserve IT!!!! AND, that would have been my 2 cents worth............. Helmar brought up a good question about the battery pack for the hybrid. it's like this .......... the battery pack for the hybrid isn't the 110 pound monster it was in 2000 with the introduction of the Prius ........... The LS600hL will be equipted with a 240 (individual ) cell Pack. Everytime you come in for your 15K and 30K service ......... the mechanic will preform a Diagonistic on the vehicle ....... the LS will tell the mechanic if everything is OK with the Pack. If not it tells them to replace a certain cell that is failing .......... they access the pack remove the failing unit and replace it with a new one ( Covered under warranty 8 years/100,000 miles). This way your battery pack is constantly being renewed !!!! If you were to "base-out" an entire pack it would run in the range of $4,700.00 to $6,200.00 to replace ( depending on where you get it done.......... ALSO, there is a Normal 12V battery that works on starting the Vehicle and running the security system, atomic clock, Smart Access, ect....... IF, you manage to kill the battery, Somehow ......... you have drained the 12V battery and not the Battery Pack.......

Hope this answers some of the questions you have ......... any others???
Old 04-18-07, 12:40 PM
Helmar
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by TWQ83
Hope this answers some of the questions you have ......... any others???
You DID answer my questions, thank you!

It would appear that you work at a Lexus dealer. Just out of curiosity, have the LS600hL's been pretty much sold out for the year, or are any likely to be available this year.

This is just out of curiosity, as my order is already placed.

Also, do you have any information about the torque produced?

HBH
Old 04-18-07, 01:27 PM
Johnny
Pole Position

In Canada anyway, the allotment is a paltry 150 units, and they are 2/3 spoken for. I believe the US numbers were about 2,000 units. Deliveries for new orders are definitely year-end, or early '08.
Old 04-18-07, 02:16 PM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 226 Likes on 153 Posts

Originally Posted by Burnaby
In Canada anyway, the allotment is a paltry 150 units, and they are 2/3 spoken for. I believe the US numbers were about 2,000 units. Deliveries for new orders are definitely year-end, or early '08.
I read 2 weeks ago from a magazine (comes with local newspaper) on the Auto Show that as of print date, 95 out of 120 units of 600hL are spoken for . . .
Old 04-18-07, 04:00 PM
SockMonkey
Driver School Candidate

I should add chumsdad that it was a good 24 hours after I picked up the car before I was back to my old self. The salesman spent about 40 minutes with me in the showroom giving me an overview of most of the features and how they worked. Between the overview and the War & Peace sized binder of owner's manuals, I was feeling pretty overwhelmed driving it home. And I drove it home like a 16 year old on their first outing on a learner's permit! But after a day I began to relax and started to even enjoy learning to use the features. Today's day 8 that I've had it and I finally got around to watching the DVD.

Any regrets? Just that I waited this long to own one. Can't wait to hear from you again after you've had it for a few days to get your reaction.
Old 04-18-07, 06:15 PM
itsme4g63
Driver

Originally Posted by chumsdad
I guess that's the best time to get it.

Supposedly "my" NSM 460 SWB arrived in port in New York yesterday. Expectations are I can take delivery toward the end of next week. I have all the money staged in the right places and cofirmed a thousand times my conservative budget can handle this. Yet here I am scared that if I do this, an out of conrol log truck will ram into me on the way home from the dealer. Then, when I get home there will be a bill in the mail form the IRS asserting I owe 70k in back taxes and penalites.

The problem is I never have spent 70k on a vehicle before- the RX was 43k and the CTS was 36k after all the goofy GM $1000 discounts for owning a Lexus, having 2 cats and having a defunct Olds Aurora to trade. All others were less and included a couple 20k Camaros and a bunch of those 1980 something Mustang GTs.

Any of you out there go through the same kind of feelings? I think once I see the car, that will be it and hopefuly about 6 months from now, I will laugh when I think about this.

u got a goat? any chance you on ls1gto.com?