LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

InsideLine Full test of LS 600h L

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-07, 07:46 PM
omarg
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

wow. I thought the upgrade wasn't worth it and thats when i thought 0-60 in less than 5 and mid 20's combined. I really doubt people will flock to this car. a decked out ls460l is just as fast and better equipped than a base ls600.

I ADORE lexus but they fouled on this. LED headlights and a driver monitoring system is not worth 20k. I say that because the hybrid system pretty much has no gains. so its worthless.

Just supercharge the toyota century's v12 guys! or make a sweet v10. And make the sport suspention SPORT. There. Do that lexus!
Old 04-20-07, 07:57 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by Stevekil
That is exactly what my concern is. It is not a technological leap. In no measure does it justify the epithet of leap. And I am a Lexus fanatic. And everyone knows it here.

It is a just a loaded LS 460L with a heavy battery. I had high hopes several months ago, but now that the specs are out, it is a major disappointment.

You could argue that porsche 997 turbo is a leap due to VTG which totally eliminates turbo lags, adds immense thrust, providing smooth acceleration with same or better fuel economy. A true marvel. Why? because for the first time somebody has solved the major disadvantages of turbochargers with gasoline-engines.

LS 600h neither improves on smoothness, nor performance, nor acceleration, it is not even an evolution over current battery technology. The same extremely toxic Ni batteries have been used, the recycling of which is becoming a major nightmare, an often overlooked threat.

A leap towards lithium would have justified this as a "showcase".
from DailyTech:
"For those looking to get your hands on an LS 600h L in June, don't count on it. Over 1,850 pre-orders for the vehicle have already been taken and the first-year allocation for the vehicle is almost depleted."

Everyone, this is but one review, just one.

Steve, name one other car close to what this offers???
Old 04-20-07, 08:42 PM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 225 Likes on 153 Posts

Originally Posted by omarg
wow. I thought the upgrade wasn't worth it and thats when i thought 0-60 in less than 5 and mid 20's combined. I really doubt people will flock to this car. a decked out ls460l is just as fast and better equipped than a base ls600.
One thing pretty consistent in the past is that Edmunds' tests are usually significantly slower with their speed they got from the cars compared to other sources
Having said that, 5200 lb. has to offset the power gain over the LS460L, but what can you expect ? A LS460L is already 4500 lb.+, & you have to add the bigger engine, batteries, hybrid drive plus AWD for the 600hL. I always wonder why they make AWD standard for the 600hL, I think they could have make RWD available too with lesser weight ?
I ADORE lexus but they fouled on this. LED headlights and a driver monitoring system is not worth 20k. I say that because the hybrid system pretty much has no gains. so its worthless.
You have to also add AWD, **** & other miscellaneous little extra's which is standard for the 600hL & not with the 460L. I think **** does help as they say the much heavier LS600hL is more athletic than the LS460L with no **** available. I hope that would change in the future, I think they should make the **** available as an option for the 460L Touring Package(that's a$4k option on the GS450h right ? )
Just supercharge the toyota century's v12 guys! or make a sweet v10. And make the sport suspention SPORT. There. Do that lexus!
I still want them to make a V12 Lexus in the future to be their flagship, maybe a V12 hybrid with future generation smaller, lighter batteries.
Old 04-20-07, 08:46 PM
omarg
Lead Lap

whats ****?

about edmunds 0-60. it might be slower but its probably much more realistic. C&D times just sound wrong to me.
Old 04-20-07, 08:53 PM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 225 Likes on 153 Posts

whats ****?
**** = Active Stabilizer Suspension System, officially, which is what they refer to in the article quoted below (they mistakenly called it Active Power Stabiliser system) :
Those big tires, all-wheel drive and the optional antiroll system Lexus calls Active Power Stabilizer System do make the LS 600h L more athletic than an LS 460 L. It recorded 0.82g on our skid pad and snaked through our slalom at 62.6 mph. Neither performance is exactly in the sporting category, but they both represent improvements over the LS 460 L.
Old 04-20-07, 08:55 PM
miniround
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Now I am not a tree hugger, nor do I have time to devote to saving the planet, but if any one of you that think the LS600hL is the greatest thing since sliced bread, you may want to consider this article.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...06#post2563906

it explains an argument between HUMMER's and Prius'. fact of the matter is that if you replace the HUMMER with the 460 and the Prius with the 600h, you will better understand the point of that article because it will better relate to you.

basically, if you were out to save the earth, you would realize (after reading the article, if not before) that you are actually spending more money on a 600h, which in turn harms the earth even more than the money you would spend on a 460.

just read the article and you will understand.
Old 04-20-07, 10:03 PM
RXSF

Received 73 Likes on 44 Posts

that article doesnt explain much at all of what were talking about.

so you are against hybrids?

i have to agree with a statement made by the author, that emmissions is not the same as energy cost. The point of the hybrid is NOT to be the cheapest to run/make, it is to mimize emissions as much as possible. That extra 20K premium over the regular LS is the cost of having a SULEV rating and not much else. and if your argument is around "what are we going to do with those batteries" im sure in 10 years, we would figure some sort of recycling. that is all
Old 04-20-07, 10:37 PM
Mr. Jones
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

another auto journalist as usual proves he's a moron

Lexus is quoting EPA #"s for 2008 yet he compares them w/2007 figures.

the LS460 L w/o awd gets 16/24
the LS600h w/awd gets 20/22

so yes thte LS600h delivers the combined fuel economy (actually better then any awd 6cyl sedan) of a awd V6 sedan exactly what Lexus promised.

GS350 awd 18/25
530xi 17/25
A6 Quattro 17/25
RL 16/24
E350 4matic 16/23
M35x 16/22

Ford 500 awd 17/23

G35x 17/23
C350 4matic 17/22
C280 4matic 17/24
Chrysler 300 awd 15/22

760Li 13/20
A8L (V12) 13/19
S600 11/17

Last edited by Mr. Jones; 04-20-07 at 10:50 PM.
Old 04-20-07, 10:49 PM
encore888
Lexus Champion

That's a pretty big error by the Edmunds 'guest contributor' -- they should issue a correction. Maybe someone can e-mail them? I think the video also makes this erroneous comparison too, if the above facts are indeed the case.
Old 04-20-07, 10:50 PM
MR_F1
Lexus Champion

I must say I'm dissapointed. Whats with the 900lb weight gain?!?! Most hybrids average a 400-500lb weight gain. Apart from that, the Flagship LS should have been the perfect place to showcase new Li battery technology.

All I can do now is hope that they Make **** available with the LS460L touring package. Really not interested in the 600 anymore.
Old 04-20-07, 11:05 PM
Mr. Jones
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by enigma888
That's a pretty big error by the Edmunds 'guest contributor' -- they should issue a correction. Maybe someone can e-mail them? I think the video also makes this erroneous comparison too, if the above facts are indeed the case.
big glaring errors are common among auto journalists, nothing new here.

It'd be nice if Lexus quit send preproduction cars to magazines, it's either low acceleration figures or poor braking distances.

I still believe LS600h offers rolling acceleration on par w/an NA V12 sedan. But the magazines refuce to test those figures which are actually applicable in the real world.

Last edited by Mr. Jones; 04-20-07 at 11:10 PM.
Old 04-20-07, 11:17 PM
Mr. Jones
Lexus Test Driver

I say that because the hybrid system pretty much has no gains. so its worthless.
so everything is about acceleration and fuel economy. I forgot the LS is a luxury car and maybe edmunds doesn't mention it but Lexus made this the quietest car in it's class, perhaps even the quiest vehicle on the road.
Old 04-20-07, 11:19 PM
Mr. Jones
Lexus Test Driver

well then you had absurdly high expecations, no V12 NA sedan accelerates to 60 in under 5seconds or gets anywhere near mid 20's combined

Last edited by Mr. Jones; 04-20-07 at 11:22 PM.
Old 04-21-07, 05:13 AM
omarg
Lead Lap

Well thats what lexus led us to believe. v12 power with v6 awd fuel economy. This was supposed to be an s600 fighter. Not really absurd expectations considering the price premium.

Let me ask you, so if the car is no faster, barely more fuel efficient, only marginally quieter, and AWD and a couple niceities (LED Lights and ****) whats the point?

Automotive journalists ALWAYS make mistakes, big and small. I should be an editor. I know my junk... ususally
Old 04-21-07, 06:52 AM
Vladi
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Stevekil
Do you have evidence to support your rigged accusation, or is it just a clueless raving of a fanatic.

BMWs have been tested by several independent publications and their assessment is unanimous. Even mags like consumer-reports which "anonymously" buys cars acknowledges BMW as a trend-setter and performance bench-mark.

So this rigged-ness is not very trustworthy comment.

How do you know I am a fanatic?

Here is the story about prepared (I am not going to use term rigged anymore) BMW cars: a friend of my who is an owner of one and the only BMW dealership in one town of one small european country got request letter from a car magazine to lend a 5 series for track testing purposes. 5er would be put against E and A6 on a track that is set up to determine stuff like emergency handling, wet surface handling etc.

He couldn't land them 5 just like that, he had to call up master dealer and ask for permission. Master dealer asked for track set-up and blueprints to be handed to them by magazine. They forwarded all of that to Austria BMW HQ (that's where dealerships in Serbia get their BMWs from) and then tuned up 5er showed up on a truck ready to be tested.

Magazine did the test, 5er won and then it got put back on a truck and back to Austria.

By the way sales of that magazine are close to 3,000 each month which is nothing compared to like MotorTrend, C&D or Evo. So if BMW prepared a car for magazine in one small and totally irrelevant country we can be sure that they do the same thing in US and everywhere else. I agree with you that they can buy cars from dealerships but that cannot be a case when they present the car before it hits the market (like 600h in this case)

Even Edmunds commented on their 335 Coupe test car that it was a little bit "prepared" for testing. I don't think that is a bad thing, I am just saying that Lexus is not competent in that area like other. They didn't even bother to give them fully loaded 600h to begin with

Quick Reply: InsideLine Full test of LS 600h L