LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

InsideLine Full test of LS 600h L

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-07, 02:21 PM
Tez
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default InsideLine Full test of LS 600h L

http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do...hotopanel..1.*

http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/

Old 04-20-07, 03:05 PM
encore888
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Thx for the link.

Generally, a good review, and the senior editor put it correctly, that if you like/love the LS 460 L, you will like/love the LS 600h L. They did suggest the S 600, as a ULEV II vehicle, but they didn't mention the extra $10,000+ you would save plus the SULEV rating, lol. And the S 600 is a gas guzzler.

Last edited by encore888; 04-20-07 at 03:08 PM.
Old 04-20-07, 03:16 PM
hendjaz
Pole Position

As I mentioned earlier in the 600h pricing thread, after reading this review it made me appreciate my 460L Touring even more. The extra weight and $$ of the 600h along with the absence of any meaningful mileage and performance benefit really highlight the value of the 460L. The AWD and **** would be nice to have though.
Old 04-20-07, 03:18 PM
INHOCJP
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks for the link. I found the following comment interesting:

"Still, this car is hard to justify on its merits. It's no quicker or more refined than its far cheaper, conventional brother, the LS 460 L, and it has a smaller trunk. Even its fuel economy advantage is conditional at best."

In any event, it's a good first step for Lexus in the ultra-luxury segment.
Old 04-20-07, 03:44 PM
encore888
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I agree it's a good first step in the ultra-luxury department. We'll see how it does.

It is true, however, that the LS 460 L is already so impressive that the cost factor is hard to justify. But who said that anyone in the ultra-luxe department is justifying the extra price? It's not as if the Germans have truly justified their price premiums over their more reliable, less expensive, and often higher-rated competition.

Has anyone seen the video yet? I tried finding a link but it hasn't shown up. I guess it was like before, they posted 'video' but didn't upload it till later.
Old 04-20-07, 03:46 PM
Johnny
Pole Position

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by hendjaz
The extra weight and $$ of the 600h along with the absence of any meaningful mileage and performance benefit really highlight the value of the 460L.
I doubt Lexus was trying to better the fuel economy numbers found on other LS460s. The fact that they were able to achieve almost the same numbers with the extra weight is an achievement in itself. I worry about Hybrid Technologies though, ten years down the road, and the poor saps who are trying to maintain these behemoths.
Old 04-20-07, 04:29 PM
Vladi
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Did anyone notice that this car didn't have Advanced Pre Crash?

Why would Lexus give them a car without the most advanced technological option and the only option that is not available on LS460 yet? No wonder why reviewer said that all the options on 600h are available on 460

Sometimes I really think that Lexus has no clue what they are doing when landing cars for press. Master of this game is BMW that always gives out the rigged cars.
Old 04-20-07, 05:37 PM
Stevekil
Driver

The 600h is a major disappointment. If inside line is correct, then the added mass almost 900 lbs is a disaster.

The added mass completely negates the hybrid system and the improvement in fuel-economy is negligible over 460 and 460L. Now, one thing is becoming clear. Only "relatively" light-weight cars can make a successful case for hybrid-system.

The 600h also does not live upto the promise of competing with 12-cyl german cars in performance.

While LS 460L is a great buy, LS 600h is a disappointment, very unusual for lexus!.

The only thing which LS 600h may have improved upon is quietness, though I have serious doubts.
Old 04-20-07, 05:42 PM
LexFather

Did anyone read the part that says this car is for "wealthy" people who are not going to worry about acceleration, MPG or trunk room.

This car is a SHOWCASE. All cars over 100k are.

This car has flaws but is a leap in technology for an automobile.
Old 04-20-07, 05:42 PM
Stevekil
Driver

Originally Posted by Vladi
Did anyone notice that this car didn't have Advanced Pre Crash?
...Master of this game is BMW that always gives out the rigged cars.
Do you have evidence to support your rigged accusation, or is it just a clueless raving of a fanatic.

BMWs have been tested by several independent publications and their assessment is unanimous. Even mags like consumer-reports which "anonymously" buys cars acknowledges BMW as a trend-setter and performance bench-mark.

So this rigged-ness is not very trustworthy comment.

Last edited by Stevekil; 04-20-07 at 05:53 PM.
Old 04-20-07, 05:44 PM
RXSF

Received 73 Likes on 44 Posts

i agree this is a disapointment on my part as well. I thought that this would be an unbelievable achievement for lexus, but the fuel economy is not great, nor is the power...so whats the point? the LED headlights perhaps?

now i wasnt expecting much, but i thought lexus was going to wow everyone with mileage in the mid 20s and a 0-60 time of 5 seconds or less, lol. I guess i hoped for too much.

anyone notice that there wasnt a leather dash in the pictures?

i hope this is a preproduction model...
Old 04-20-07, 05:45 PM
RXSF

Received 73 Likes on 44 Posts

OMG I JUST CLICKED ON THE LINK AGAIN. video is now uploaded...just like now

Last edited by RXSF; 04-20-07 at 05:50 PM.
Old 04-20-07, 05:51 PM
Stevekil
Driver

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Did anyone read the part that says this car is for "wealthy" people who are not going to worry about acceleration, MPG or trunk room.

This car is a SHOWCASE. All cars over 100k are.

This car has flaws but is a leap in technology for an automobile.
That is exactly what my concern is. It is not a technological leap. In no measure does it justify the epithet of leap. And I am a Lexus fanatic. And everyone knows it here.

It is a just a loaded LS 460L with a heavy battery. I had high hopes several months ago, but now that the specs are out, it is a major disappointment.

You could argue that porsche 997 turbo is a leap due to VTG which totally eliminates turbo lags, adds immense thrust, providing smooth acceleration with same or better fuel economy. A true marvel. Why? because for the first time somebody has solved the major disadvantages of turbochargers with gasoline-engines.

LS 600h neither improves on smoothness, nor performance, nor acceleration, it is not even an evolution over current battery technology. The same extremely toxic Ni batteries have been used, the recycling of which is becoming a major nightmare, an often overlooked threat.

A leap towards lithium would have justified this as a "showcase".
Old 04-20-07, 06:05 PM
j three
Lexus Test Driver

Im pretty dissapointed in the performance #'s of this car! Not only did Lexus hype the acceleration times of the 460 which none of the reviewers were able to re-produce but you now have a 5.0 v8 + hybrid car that you claim has v12 performance and v6 economy, but in the real world has performance that matches your standard v8 and less than standard v8 economy. What was the whole point of this car, an oxymoron perhaps? I had very high expectations for this car after all the cool features and beef under the hood it was supposed to have. Let me ask you guys a question. How serious do you think those other guys are going to take lexus now that the #'s are in on the car that was supposed to keep up with thier beloved v12's? Maybe the car I was hoping for still hasn't arrived yet. Maybe there is still the LS-F. The only thing I know is that the IS-F and the LF-A better come out swingin with some heavy hands ready for war, because if they dont they will never get the respect they rightfully deserve on the sporty side of things!
Old 04-20-07, 06:48 PM
Lexusman44
Driver

I couldn't agree more man!^

Lexusman44

Quick Reply: InsideLine Full test of LS 600h L