LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

LS460 Material Quality

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-07, 03:34 PM
Mallory H.
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LS460 Material Quality

message deleted by poster

Last edited by Mallory H.; 10-13-07 at 10:47 AM.
Old 04-26-07, 05:07 PM
Craig B
Pole Position

Received 57 Likes on 40 Posts

My dash doesn't look like it was painted evenly. I agree with you, the dash materials were much better on all of my other Lexus vehicles. I don't know why they cheapened the dash and glove box. The glove box doesn't even shut like my old LS 430...

I would have the dash replaced, but don't want anymore rattles...

Craig
Old 04-26-07, 05:51 PM
luxury1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I feel like the materials are great but I am coming from Mercedes. I especially love the Lexus leather in comparison to the Mercedes "leather"
Old 04-26-07, 06:01 PM
vraa
CL Folding Team Starter

Received 358 Likes on 207 Posts

You're not the only one.
I prefer Lexus leather (overall, quality, color, reliability) over any other company including older Bentley's.
Old 04-26-07, 06:12 PM
socaljint
Driver School Candidate

" dash rattles,glove box rattles and wind noise " I have none of those issues. Bring it back to the dealer.
Old 04-27-07, 07:17 PM
Luxofreak
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Strange, I have absolutely no rattles in my LS-460. It's tight and vault-like quiet. I do have the wind noise though, but I am starting to believe it's because this car is so quiet that other noises that would be taken for granted in other cars are perceived as louder in the LS-460.
Old 04-28-07, 06:12 PM
Johnny
Pole Position

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Excellent advice...
Old 05-02-07, 09:32 PM
MR.FG
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Mallory H.
I took my car in to the dealer today to have the glove box rattle fixed after about five attempts with a failed felt repair the service writer reluctantly ordered another glove box. I ask about the wind noise and he acted as though he knew nonthing about the wind noise or glove box rattle complaints. After I got home I went to the auto parts store and purchased a roll of good weatherstriping with the adheisive backing, cut off a couple of very small pieces and applied them to the area of the glove box that needed a
little support and now the glove box cover fits as snug as a bug and no more rattle. If this repair holds and I have no doubt that it will not I think I will leave well enough alone and not let them install another glove box, just don't want to take the risk of something getting damaged and due to design there is no guarantee that the new glove box will not rattle.
Someone will probably ask why I did not try the repair before I took the car to the dealer, well I was not frustrated enough.
I don't have an LS460 do have an ES350, and while I like the car, I hate the dash rattles. Lexus does appear to be downgrading the quality of materials they use in their cars now, my 1992 SC300 is still a much more solid vehicle than my brand new ES, no rattles or squeaks in all these years. I would love to have an LS but not if it is going to rattle. I really hope Lexus solves these issues before long, they do not befitt the image they are trying to maintain. They need to put a fix in and do a mass recall.
Old 05-03-07, 07:26 PM
MR.FG
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

When you drop major cash on an automobile, you are entitled to voice your displeasure and Lexus may not fix it if they don't get our feedback.
Old 05-03-07, 09:45 PM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Dash rattles, glovebox rattles, and wind noise?

First off, for those of you that have these problems, you should not expect every new LS to have these issues. Secondly, no car is perfect.

Mechanically, the new LS is a big departure from the old model. It sits on a new platform compared to the LS430. Toyota is taking more risks and being more radical with Lexus than ever before. They are also making quality a top priority right now.

Just as a lot of early issues with the GS and IS were fixed at the factory, some issues that owners are experiencing are early issues that will quickly be dealt with at Tahara.

I've spent lots of time in LS430s, and have spent a decent amount of time in some LS460s. I would say that the interior material quality is comparable between the two, and that the centre dash in fact is higher quality. Then there is the LS600hL, which will have a full leather dash, and likely will be the best-quality LS ever made.
Old 05-05-07, 06:50 AM
PRSUIT460
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

There are always some people that need to find a dislike in everything. The wind noise doesn't bother me at all. I appreciate all the other things that are over engineered in the LS460.
Old 05-05-07, 06:55 AM
vraa
CL Folding Team Starter

Originally Posted by Mallory H.
I would think anyone who owns a Lexus is educated enough to know that there is no such thing as a perfect car.If your car does not have any of these issues than that is good but for those of us who do we would like to see them fixed if they can be fixed.
I would ask that you read all of the post not just on this sight but go into the edmunds sight and you will see much the same.
But we do have the passionate pursuit of perfection. And like any profit maximizing company they will do what makes money and not a lot more, even if that means not acknowledging a problem until it reaches critical mass.
Old 05-05-07, 07:32 AM
bb430
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I had my worse car at 1997, it was 98 GS400. It had dome light that did not come on when open door, window pinch control was not working, steering wheel froze and would not come down, moonroof did not want to close, car pull to left after 3 alignments, can not lock door from remote, power seat worked once a while and other issues too many to recall. it spent more time in the dealership than in my garage. I finally sold it back to the dealer after 3 months and 2 weeks and lost $7500 in the process.
I can tell all of you guys that have issues with their $70,000 cars, GO AND **** ON THEM BECAUSE YOU ARE NOT TOYOTA'S GUINIPIGS. Toyota is now #1 automaker of the world, they can afford to test and make sure their top of line car is perfect BEFORE they make them, after all QUALITY and RELIABILITY makes them #1.
It's not just the times wasted to make the trip back to dealers, it's also time wasted to talk about them here in this forum too.
Old 05-05-07, 07:36 AM
vraa
CL Folding Team Starter

GO AND **** ON THEM BECAUSE YOU ARE NOT TOYOTA'S GUINIPIGS.
Not just Toyota, for any car maker. We complained loud enough at MBWorld.org and Mercedes quality for SURE is improving. If you take a late model SL550 today and compare it to my dads SL500, you'll find tighter panel gaps, more reliable electronics, and probably a higher standard of workmanship.
Old 05-07-07, 06:47 AM
GS430X6
Pole Position

Lexus states, "Passionate "Pursuit" of Perfection". Meaning, they are in Pursuit of Perfection, they do not claim perfection, although they are closer to it then any other car company in the world if you asked me.

Quick Reply: LS460 Material Quality