LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H
View Poll Results: Do you have windows in your SHORT WHEEL BASE LS460?
Yes, I do have the wind noise
53.13%
No, I don't have the wind noise
18.75%
I do have it, but I don't mind it..really..
28.13%
Voters: 32. You may not vote on this poll

SWB drivers, are you having Wind noise problems?

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-07, 11:17 PM
RXSF

Received 73 Likes on 44 Posts

to 2007es350,
please dont misunderstand what i typed. I typed the bottom portion of that, and not the top that i quoted. I did not call you the whiner. but yeah, seeing how YOU didnt read before posting, ill forgive you
Old 05-04-07, 08:40 AM
2007es350
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by RXSF
to 2007es350,
please dont misunderstand what i typed. I typed the bottom portion of that, and not the top that i quoted. I did not call you the whiner. but yeah, seeing how YOU didnt read before posting, ill forgive you

I understand the part that you wrote....i quoted it in my post (read above) so you can save your forgiveness. You obviously think that this wind noise has ruined my lexus experience which is untrue since I have always stated that lexus will take care of this problem in due time.

So you really should read before you start your lecturing about "Perhaps lexus isnt the car for you blah..blah...blah".

Since you seem to think the LS460 is practically perfect, do you drive an LS460 every day? Just curious.

Last edited by 2007es350; 05-04-07 at 08:44 AM.
Old 05-04-07, 03:53 PM
RXSF

Received 73 Likes on 44 Posts

okay fine, edit: the car seems to be practically perfect, from what i have heard. it is after all the flagship sedan. from what you were saying about the car, it seemed like it was ruining your lexus experience. and like you, i said that in due time they will fix everything.
Old 05-04-07, 09:59 PM
portofinor
Driver School Candidate

I have a 2007 with a door date of 03/07. I have had it for 1 week via Longo Lexus in LA. When I first got the LS460 it was a very warm day. There was no noise at all. Now that it has turned cool the noise is very bad. Cool air is more dense (pilots can verify) and causes more noise by rushing over the windows and mirrors. When it was over 85 degrees it was NICE and Quiet.
Old 05-05-07, 09:29 AM
Luxofreak
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

That's interesting. I guess I'll always have the wind noise because here in Seattle in NEVER gets to 85 degrees.
Old 05-05-07, 10:14 AM
chumsdad
Rookie

Originally Posted by joedaddy1
how can u compare the $25k GTO to a $75k Lexus? At this price level, yes wind noise do matter
You missed my point. It is all relative. All cars, no matter how much you pay for them, seem to have quirks or characterisitcs that may be annoying to many, but are inherent in the design. Unfortunately, I think the wind noise issue with the 460, just like the differential noise in the GTO, is an example of an inherent design problem that cannot be fixed by the dealer. I suspect it will be fixed, however, in the 2008 or 2009 model, now that so many have noted the issue.

Clearly, the 460 is a far superior car to the GTO and there's no way I would tolerate differential whine in such an expensive car. The wind noise, on the other hand, is something I personally can ignore in view of the otherwise superb quality of the car.

By the way, my personal pet peeve is wheel imbalance induced body shake and steering wheel shimmy, which of course always occur right at highway cruising speed. I had a 95 Olds Aurora that was horrible in this regard. Thankfully the 460 is smooth as glass in comparison.
Old 05-05-07, 11:38 AM
Luxofreak
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Hey I agree to a certain degree. I think the LS-460 is a great car, and for sure they did a great job when it comes to acoustics and quietness. This in fact worked against the car because now this wind noise issue seems to be a pleague. It's for sure an overseen detail that I think Lexus should fix as soon as possible. This would raise their customer retention rate a lot IMHO after all we were the first ones that believed in their product by buying the first production year of the model.

Last edited by Luxofreak; 05-05-07 at 06:42 PM.
Old 05-05-07, 12:47 PM
audimerc
Driver

Wind noise probably seems louder because the new lexus's are so much better insulated so that even a little wind noise seems loud. So if you where in a car that had a louder engine or other noise, the wind noise would be canceled out more. Anyways hopefully lexus will come out with a solution. But the wind noise is the least of your problems since it seems like the ES350 has tranny problems.
Old 05-05-07, 01:36 PM
chumsdad
Rookie

Everyone always said, at least as to American cars, do not buy the first year of a new model. I thought about that here with the 460 and was going to buy a second year car, the GS, instead. But then, I thought the first year concern is not an issue with a Lexus anyway. Perhaps that is not so but I hope the wind noise is the worst of it.

If the ES350 has trans problems, that really is troubling because the ES330 had trans problems. The one I test drove 3 years ago was awful.

Hey I just looked at all the seals, gaskets, moldings, etc. around the doors and windows of my 460. It certainly looks like they were trying to seal out all the noise. It seems no wonder the dealers cannot figure it out on their own.
Old 05-05-07, 02:18 PM
Johnny
Pole Position

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Considering that the LS460 was four years in development, I believe that most of the quirks would have been worked out, and only minor isolated issues might surface. Lexus has certainly tested this flagship under the worst conditions and over longer terms than we could ever expose them to. More significantly, an abundance of interior and exterior features were merely carried over from the last generation, and I would not be going out on a limb in suggesting that discrepancies may thus be limited to the drivetrain.
Old 05-05-07, 03:11 PM
chumsdad
Rookie

I agree and that's the biggest reason I went ahead and bought this first year car for a Kia's price over invocie or whatever it was.
Old 05-05-07, 06:46 PM
joedaddy1
Racer

Received 190 Likes on 147 Posts

i am not gonna lie.. wind noise is NOT going to kill me.. i can do that trick the other guy taught me.. (click the down button once)..
but the 8 speed tranny scares me.. hopefully it'll last long..
our engine doesn't sound too great either...
Old 05-05-07, 09:19 PM
audimerc
Driver

Originally Posted by joedaddy1
i am not gonna lie.. wind noise is NOT going to kill me.. i can do that trick the other guy taught me.. (click the down button once)..
but the 8 speed tranny scares me.. hopefully it'll last long..
our engine doesn't sound too great either...
are you talking about the noisy clicking engine? If you are thats probably the direct fuel injection that you hear. That is in all direct fuel injected cars.
Old 05-06-07, 03:27 PM
chumsdad
Rookie

Joe,

Let me tell you about the ticking at idle of the LS2 Vette engine in my GTO.......

Ah, well no nevermind.

Seriously, I love the sound of the 460 when its revving through the power band- music to my ears. Engines and transmissions are my favorite part of a car and I have no complaints in that department with the LS.
Old 05-06-07, 05:53 PM
joedaddy1
Racer

Received 190 Likes on 147 Posts

Originally Posted by audimerc
are you talking about the noisy clicking engine? If you are thats probably the direct fuel injection that you hear. That is in all direct fuel injected cars.
maybe.. hmm.. maybe... hmm...
i still like the gas mileage though.. better MPG then our G35~

Quick Reply: SWB drivers, are you having Wind noise problems?