LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Lexus LS 600h L launch delayed til Late July/August

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-07, 02:27 PM
Johnny
Pole Position

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by dfiorito
When I got my first Lexus it was a ES300. I remember everyone saying it was a Toyota. Now I have a LS460L and they still say it is a Toyota.
That's OK, when I hear MB, I think Chrysler. When I hear BMW, I think Austin Mini 850...

I'd much rather be associated with Toyota than..... Well, you know what I mean...
Old 05-02-07, 07:55 PM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

those mileage figures are probably them romping on the car, would be a ton better if you drove it normally
Old 05-02-07, 08:53 PM
newr
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by enigma888
Here: http://www.caranddriver.com/shortroa...s-ls600hl.html
Motor Trend observed 19 mpg average for the LS 600h L, in line with C&D. Automobile magazine did not give any data, other than EPA 2008 projected figures: city/hwy average 21 for LS hybrid, 20.5 for LS 460 L.
common enigma! you can't be serious believing that the LS460 get 13 mpg on average in normal every day driving can you? If you beat the hell out of it like C&D did, then yes. I get about 8 mpg around the track on my S2000. Is it the average mpg? No way.

Forget about the EPA rating. The real world average mpg for the LS460/L can be found right here on CL. https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=234405 and it's not 13mpg.
Old 05-02-07, 09:08 PM
encore888
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

LOL I sure hope the LS 460 L's actual mileage is around 20 mpg or better!

However, you challenged my statement, "If you read the recent reviews, the mpg is significantly improved over the LS 460 in terms of average consumption."

And so I provided review references which are the basis for my stating that. In reality, we have yet to have any LS 600h L drivers report on their mileage, so we have yet to see what it will do. However, the initial narrative from Edmunds was misleading and based on 2007 vs. 2008 EPA estimates, which was an apples and oranges comparison. The C&D review indicates an improvement over the LS 460 L...yes the 13 mpg is outlandish, but if you assume that C&D drove both cars in the same manner, then it proves that the LS 600h L has significant mileage improvement.

Whether that is the case in real life, we'll see. I suspect that the LS 600h L will be on par with the LS 460 L for the most part, but with added weight, power, AWD, hybrid etc.

Anyhow, back on the main topic, I don't think Lexus deliberately stated an early launch date; it's quite possible the technological complexity of the vehicle has resulted in some unforeseen production delays.

But like others on this forum have said, the wait is acceptable if it means that the car will be more solid when released.
Old 05-02-07, 09:30 PM
newr
Lexus Champion

Whether that is the case in real life, we'll see. I suspect that the LS 600h L will be on par with the LS 460 L for the most part, but with added weight, power, AWD, hybrid etc.
Hey! thanks for coming down to earth.. hahah..

Anyhow, back on the main topic, I don't think Lexus deliberately stated an early launch date; it's quite possible the technological complexity of the vehicle has resulted in some unforeseen production delays.

But like others on this forum have said, the wait is acceptable if it means that the car will be more solid when released.
With the complexity of this car, it's better to hold the release and work out the bugs than releasing it with problems. Since this is going to be the first $100K + Lexus car, I am sure there will be many critics looking for just for that.
Old 05-02-07, 10:11 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,465 Likes on 1,617 Posts

Originally Posted by TWQ83
I accept you idea but, then aren't they just as guilty if they say June in the first place. Would it not be prudent to say September and move it up if the chance arrives ........... instead of always back. And if this was the only one then Kewl........... But it's not. It's the next in a long line and the customers hate it....... I as a Sales consultant look like crud when I get "The latest News" report it and then have to eat my words since they have another set-back that draws it out another month.

I'm just saying that I find it strange that each new release has a enevitable delay of 3 to 4.5 months????

It's not great, you're right. I don't see many other companies doing it as much as Toyota/Lexus does. But maybe it's a good thing, as Toyota/Lexus is more conservative and if it has ANY suspicions of issues near launch it delays - not so bad really.
Old 05-03-07, 02:55 AM
vraa
CL Folding Team Starter

Received 358 Likes on 207 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
It's not great, you're right. I don't see many other companies doing it as much as Toyota/Lexus does. But maybe it's a good thing, as Toyota/Lexus is more conservative and if it has ANY suspicions of issues near launch it delays - not so bad really.
Things will be perfect.
They cannot afford another LS400 overheating brake lamp incident. It was a great story to tell at parties, but not something you want associated in this day of age.
Old 05-03-07, 03:04 AM
Helmar
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Under promise, over deliver

My whole career as a software developer I followed two related practices: 1. Under promise, over deliver. 2. If something changes, inform the customer immediately. These apply to delivery schedules as well as actual product.

They may be cliches, but they're essential for customer satisfaction.

It would appear that Lexus adheres to these principals as well. Perhaps other manufacturers should embrace them.....

HBH
Old 05-03-07, 03:25 AM
vraa
CL Folding Team Starter

Received 358 Likes on 207 Posts

Originally Posted by Helmar
My whole career as a software developer I followed two related practices: 1. Under promise, over deliver. 2. If something changes, inform the customer immediately. These apply to delivery schedules as well as actual product.

It would appear that Lexus adheres to these principals as well. Perhaps other manufacturers should embrace them.....

HBH
Then I'm sure you've also heard of this, would you say it also applies?

Pick two of the three
- Cheap
- Fast
- Reliable
Old 05-03-07, 09:53 PM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Does it really matter whether it says "Toyota" or "Lexus" in the news? Lexus is still a part of Toyota, even though Toyota wants to make Lexus almost completely separate from the Toyota brand. At the end, Lexus is not it's own company ... it's still a part of Toyota, although a very indepedent part of Toyota.

As for the car's delay, likely they are tuning/optimizing the hybrid system for faster performance and better economy, and perhaps double checking every part of the car to ensure quality.
Old 05-04-07, 04:55 AM
Helmar
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default The never ending discussion

Originally Posted by TRDFantasy
Does it really matter whether it says "Toyota" or "Lexus" in the news?
I’ve never understood the German car fanatics that disparage Lexus because of its Toyota roots, except to understand that for some, the only way to raise one’s ego is to reduce others.

What I really don’t understand is how Toyota roots are a disparagement.

It’s as though they want to connect the Lexus to Toyota’s pedestrian and mundane aspects, but deny or downplay (or ignore) the link to Toyota’s reliability heritage.

In reality, the opposite is true, where Lexus has maintained its Toyota reliability at its roots, but has gone its own way on style, performance, and innovation.

Like all automobile manufacturers, I’m sure that Lexus has reverse engineered its share of cars, just as Mercedes and BMW have reverse engineered Lexus and each other. There’s nothing magic about engines or suspension. They’re all just easily duplicated machinery.

Their implication is that Lexus CAN’T do this, which is ridiculous. Of course they could. It’s a CHOICE then, that Lexus is not willing to sacrifice full time ride quality (noise, harshness) for some rarely tested handling benefits.

Although ostensibly not major factors for luxury cars, there are two ways to measure performance, acceleration and handling. Acceleration is close enough to be identical, and since both the German cars and Lexus perform very well in emergency situations, I for one am quite happy to enjoy the enhanced reliability and ride quality that Lexus provides.

HBH
Old 05-06-07, 11:18 AM
Iceman
Lexus Champion

I inquired with my dealer about this delay, and here's what he told me:

"As of this date we have no word from Lexus that the car is delayed. I forwarded your email to My GSM on Wednesday when I was home and then called him. He knew nothing. On Thursday when I returned to work I asked our manager that communicates with Lexus regional. Lexus regional had no word of a delay. They heard about the delay the same way you did and have no official word from California.

I am asking about this the last 3 days and there is still no confirmation from Lexus. I will continue to knock on the door and let you know. Just know that this frustrates me as I sure it does you."

Is the delay for real or just an unsubstantiated internet rumor?
Old 05-06-07, 11:33 AM
Luxofreak
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

i know why it was delayed. Wind noise!!
Old 05-06-07, 11:37 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by Iceman
I

Is the delay for real or just an unsubstantiated internet rumor?
The source is egmcartech so thats a good question.

Originally Posted by Helmar

HBH
Great post.
Old 05-06-07, 02:48 PM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 226 Likes on 153 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
The source is egmcartech so thats a good question.
No, the real source is Automotive News(subscription required), egmcartech just quoted from Automotive News(read OP again).