LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

The LS460...for posers or for honestly wealthy?

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-07, 06:59 PM
TemIS300
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If canadians look at you funny when you drive a Lexus how do they look at Mercedes owners? Down here in California driving a Lexus is just like driving a Toyota. Most people don't see any prestige in a Lexus, unless you own one. Mercedes owners get more attention even if they are just driving the POS C230. Its all about status here in Southern California and the LS460 might grab looks from Mercedes owners but they will still just refer to it as a "glorified toyota" which is BS. To even get your payments on an LS460L resonable you have to put at least $60,000 down if your getting the $80,000 L edition. The avreage person doesn't have $60,000 in their account so this means most buyers are making in the $200,000+ range.
Old 05-20-07, 07:00 PM
IronCobra
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Because I live in Texas (which is so much cheaper than anywhere else) and I make around the average income of a LS460 buyer I could probably pull off buying one. I'm young though and I've never paid more than $30k for a car in my life. I have always been an advocate of buying used cars so someone else can take the hit. It is really tempting to buy something like an LS460 but I try to trump temptation with common sense. I will be happy buying 3 year old cars all day long if it's going to save me near half the price of buying it new.

Perhaps when I approach retirement age I will think differently.

Who knows.
Old 05-20-07, 07:03 PM
Kansas
Lead Lap

Received 254 Likes on 201 Posts

My opinion is that anyone who makes time payments to a bank or finance company to buy or lease a car is thoroughly in the "poser" category.

The main way to build wealth is to avoid debt. Make others pay you to use your money; avoid paying others to use their money.

This simple truth is what prevents most people from building wealth. No one of real financial substance finances or leases a car or buys anything that costs more than he can comfortably afford to buy.
Old 05-20-07, 07:06 PM
h2o_247
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Burnaby
You can't be a Hongkonger, you took offence. You're a Canadian, and your political correctness demonstrates it. I was married into a Chinese family for thirty years, and some of the slurs that circulated around the Mah Jong table would make your ears blush - I'm sure you know what I'm talking about. Did I mind being the butt end of the Gwailo jokes? Never, I gave as good as I got...

Why do we have tip-toe around everyone's cultural sensitivities? My comment was done with tongue firmly planted in cheek. Having done a tremendous amount of business in Hong Kong, I would have never picked up that line unless I had heard it from many locals who constantly referred to themselves and others that way. It was always so-and-so was that way because he wore a $15K Rolex, or belonged to the Cricket Club, or the HK Jockey Club, or had a 888 license plate, or what have you. After a while I joined along, as it seemed to be a constant measuring stick there, and conversations were spiced with the topic.

Find something else to be sensitive about, like World hunger, or Greenhouse gases.
Burnaby,

Thank you for your reply. I apologize for being too sensitive about your comment. I appreciate you giving your time to reply my comment, and to give the opportunity for me to understand the phrase "crouching tiger, hidden dragon " (臥虎藏龍).

With thanks and regards,

h2o_247
Old 05-20-07, 07:14 PM
Johnny
Pole Position

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by TemIS300
If canadians look at you funny when you drive a Lexus how do they look at Mercedes owners? Down here in California driving a Lexus is just like driving a Toyota. Most people don't see any prestige in a Lexus, unless you own one. Mercedes owners get more attention even if they are just driving the POS C230. Its all about status here in Southern California and the LS460 might grab looks from Mercedes owners but they will still just refer to it as a "glorified toyota" which is BS. To even get your payments on an LS460L resonable you have to put at least $60,000 down if your getting the $80,000 L edition. The avreage person doesn't have $60,000 in their account so this means most buyers are making in the $200,000+ range.
Relatively speaking, the LS is priced higher in Canada than in the US. Perhaps they want to get sales going faster there than here, as I'm sure we are a minor player in their sales figures. Compare the number of hybrid units allocated at 150 for Canada vs 2,000 for the US. Granted, your population is ten times higher, but that still speaks volumes. Additionally, the LS is configured differently in Canada, which also could explain some of the price difference. But with the Canadian dollar soaring, it will mean more cash for Toyota's coffers. Good on them, they certainly have worked hard to get to where they are, which is a long way from their humble beginnings as Toyoda Automatic Loom.

Old 05-20-07, 07:17 PM
Johnny
Pole Position

Originally Posted by h2o_247
Burnaby,

Thank you for your reply. I apologize for being too sensitive about your comment. I appreciate you giving your time to reply my comment, and to give the opportunity for me to understand the phrase "crouching tiger, hidden dragon " (臥虎藏龍).

With thanks and regards,

h2o_247
Don't worry about it...
Old 05-20-07, 08:18 PM
encore888
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by daryll40
Thats fascinating that the price of the car has doubled in 17 years yet the average income has basically stayed the same. I am not sure what to make out of this...perhaps it has something to do with doctors incomes that have pretty much been cut in half, adjusting for inflation (and sometimes even without the inflation adjustment) during that time. Docs are big LS buyers.

This is just a guess on my part.
That's quite possible. Another thing though is that the luxury market as a whole has not kept up with the pace of inflation. Although the LS' price has gone from $35,000 with the original to now $61,000 starting for the LS 460, the price of the $55,000 second gen LS 400, if adjusted for inflation, is supposedly higher.

But it's not just Lexus, for instance: 1990 420 SEL started at $61,210 ($91,000 in 2005 dollars), to say less of the more expensive 560 SEL.
Old 05-20-07, 09:37 PM
MikeinLA
Rookie

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Interesting question....

Hello all, this is my first post here. I find the original poster's question interesting, because I'm thinking about an LS460, but am a bit concerned about outward impressions. I am a real estate appraiser in Los Angeles, a position which is generally considered by those involved in a real estate transaction to be somewhere down with the termite inspector (if they only knew). I am wondering if property owners might be a bit freaked when I hop out of my LS with my customary jeans/polo shirt wardrobe. I currently drive an RX330 and love the Lexus brand (expecially having heard some nightmare stories about MBZ reliability these days). My motivation for the new purchase is simply that I spend all day driving around LA and want maximum comfort. I have no "poser" issues at all, quite the opposite. I would purchase it probably in the fall and I am thinking that it could see me to my planned retirement date of 2012. Do you think the LS might be "over the top" for someone in my position? I can pay cash, so no issues there. Nice forum, BTW,

Mike
Old 05-20-07, 09:49 PM
Johnny
Pole Position

Yes, interesting as Lexus is almost "de rigueur" for many Realtors in Vancouver. The perception here is that if you are driving an upscale vehicle, then you are considered a mover and a shaker, both for sellers and buyers alike. After all, low volume producers are less likely to afford them, unless they're posers of course. On the other hand, there's nothing wrong with projecting an image of success...

Think back of "American Beauty".
Old 05-20-07, 09:58 PM
Xwakeboard
Pole Position

I am sorry, but I take real issue with this thread. Mike, if you really want an LS460, get it. Don’t worry about other people’s perceptions about your car. Your lucky to be in a position in life where you can comfortably afford a car like the LS, life is short, and if it weren’t you, it would be somebody else. You don’t need to defend the car you drive; you don’t need to be a jerk about it either.
Old 05-20-07, 09:59 PM
marshmallo
Lexus Champion

My opinion is that people who buy entry and midlevel luxury cars
are MUCH more likely to be poseurs.

As it has been pointed out many weathy people drive crappy cars to
the ground. There is probably not a greater wealth destructor than a
luxury car. Especially those bought with home equity lines of credit
against inflated real estate prices...
Old 05-20-07, 10:13 PM
lexus111
Rookie

Talking

[QUOTE=MikeinLA;2637780]Hello all, this is my first post here. I find the original poster's question interesting, because I'm thinking about an LS460, but am a bit concerned about outward impressions. I am a real estate appraiser in Los Angeles, a position which is generally considered by those involved in a real estate transaction to be somewhere down with the termite inspector (if they only knew). I am wondering if property owners might be a bit freaked when I hop out of my LS with my customary jeans/polo shirt wardrobe. I currently drive an RX330 and love the Lexus brand (expecially having heard some nightmare stories about MBZ reliability these days). My motivation for the new purchase is simply that I spend all day driving around LA and want maximum comfort. I have no "poser" issues at all, quite the opposite. I would purchase it probably in the fall and I am thinking that it could see me to my planned retirement date of 2012. Do you think the LS might be "over the top" for someone in my position? I can pay cash, so no issues there. Nice forum, BTW,

Mike in LA ... I wouldn't worry too much about the homeowners thoughts when you drive up in the 460. I am a real estate agent in Las Vegas and the only thing that I deal with is sellers or buyers sometimes make comments like "WOW doesn't that car cost about $50,000" I have to answer with my usual which is that it costs around that much. If I told them it was a 460L loaded and it was $79,753 they would probably make some kind of judgement at that point so I keep it quiet.

The only other thing that I deal with is that the LS460 does NOT have side protection against door dings. This makes it a little more interesting in tight parking situations. And obviously sometimes my car is worth half the price of the condo that I am listing or 1/3 the cost of someones first home.

No Matter what I purchased the car for me and for all of the driving around town that I do just like you and so IMO go buy one, you'll love it. THE LS460L is the BEST car that I have ever owned.

Also, My income is above $250,000 and I would definitely not look at myself as a "Poser" The Car is worth every penny that I spent and I would buy it again for the value.

Most of the other LS460 owners that I have met in Las Vegas could afford to buy a couple of them for cash if they wanted to so I don't think that many in Las Vegas are stretching to own these. I made some great investments also and paid cash for mine also.

Good Luck in your decision
Old 05-21-07, 08:08 AM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Posers:

--There are a lot in L.A.
--Most posers get MB and BMW moreso than Lexus.
--You can tell a poser from a mile away WITHOUT the Lexus I mean, just take a look at the fake Gucci and Rolex...
Old 05-21-07, 10:10 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

a lot of s class owners they can't really afford the car anyway
Old 05-21-07, 12:10 PM
TemIS300
Driver School Candidate

Go ask a Mercedes or BMW dealer how many people come in with cash. I bet the number is lower than Lexus. I was looking on autotrader.com and saw many Mercedes being sold because "can't afford $1200 a month." More Lexus owners pay cash because they are established. Owning a Mercedes use to be a status symbol but now anyone can buy one. The question is do you want to pay $1200 a month for something that will break. I would much rather get the LS460 due to the quality Lexus is known for having. If I were you, Mike, i'd wait a few years and get a pre-owned LS460. Let some other person take the depreciation. I bought my IS300 last year with 60,000 miles for 14K. The previous owner said he had paid 33K. If you wait you might also see what problems the first year LS460 has. Being a Lexus it might not have any but you never know. Go with what you want and dont worry about what others think of you. F*** them.

Quick Reply: The LS460...for posers or for honestly wealthy?