LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Humorous LS460L Delivery experience

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-07, 05:31 PM
Nospinzone

Received 423 Likes on 326 Posts

My first choice would be a new car. The second would be to repair the broken valve spring. I wouldn't accept a new engine for a variety of reasons, most of which were already listed in previous posts. Consider that the engine has the vehicle identification number stamped on it and now it won't match. This of course can be documented, but most people would never touch a used vehicle where the engine VIN didn't match the vehicle's.
Old 05-26-07, 11:51 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

i just give the same scenario to my wife today (she owns sc430 and cares about the car she loves a lot), and she said she'd still get a new car instead. couple months of payment is not going to cut it (nothing will)
Old 05-27-07, 06:58 AM
omarg
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I dunno man, I think they are being pretty fair with the whole free lifetime maintenance. if you keep the car past the warranty i say keep this car. If your gonna get rid of it before, get a new car. Also if you got the color and packages you wanted, you might have to wait a bit for the exact car.

I trust lexus techs. They are No. 1 for a reason.
Old 05-27-07, 02:03 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,434 Likes on 1,596 Posts

I'd take the free lifetime maintenance if you're keeping the car a good while. That's a bunch of money right there. I hope your parents also found it humorous. I wouldn't have!
Old 05-27-07, 10:14 PM
Adam2562
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

yea really dont take a new enmgine if ur keeping a car.. i worked at toyota and ive seen many come backs after techs replacing engines... opt for another brand new car..... i dunno y anyone would want their new car to go thru all the work of a new engine.. thats crazy.. screw a lifetimek service agreement.. get a new car.. they will honor you a new car.. the reason y they r offering a good deal on lifetime service is cuzthey dont want that car back even after they replace the engine.. sry bout typos i had a finger amputated this past week
Old 05-29-07, 08:09 AM
daryll40
Pole Position

Received 420 Likes on 286 Posts

70 grand PLUS is way too much to be taking chances. Demand a new car and move on.
Old 05-29-07, 09:44 AM
uncle_el
Pole Position

there's a lot of potential downsides to getting a brand new engine- from the immediacy of trusting the techs at lexus (they're good, but with how intricate the new engine and computer components are... and have they been trained on replacing an engine in this car), to what exactly is "free service for the life of the car", to the car's history/carfax at resale.

i think i'd sleep better at night knowing i had the new car that i paid for, rather than the new car with the replaced engine.
Old 05-29-07, 11:04 AM
LeslieRC
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If I were advising your parents I would recommend accepting nothing short of a new car. If, as you stated, the car shook like it was caught in an earthquake and the the dashboard lit-up like a Christmas tree when the car was only a few miles away from the dealership, it strikes me that there's a lot more than the engine that could be wrong with this car. Frankly, it's a fool's choice to consider choosing between forgiveness of the 1st month payment or free maintenance for life given the fact that this happened to a $70K+ car that is supposed to be NEW!
Old 05-29-07, 11:27 AM
TWQ83
Rookie

Default Glad I don't have to make this descission!!!!

I think you need to ask Mom and Dad how they feel about it ...... In the end it will be there decission!!! JD Powers and assoc. have rated Lexus with 24 Problems per 100 cars not zero problems per hundred cars! It may have nothing to do with Lexus but maybe some outsorced part that slipped through the numerious quality checks that Lexus does. It's a one in a Million problem that mom and dad happened against. The dealership doesn't sound like there trying to stick your parents with a Band-aid fix ( let's just fix the spring and let it go!) There willing to bring in a Brand new engine and I'm sure that the Lexus tech there putting on this is the oldest and smartest tech they have ...... I say good part on the dealerships side. They certainly don't want to lose your family business. We're also not sure if the dealership HAS offered your parents a New LS or not.

There are good points to both sides of this and I'm glad I don't need to come up with the right answer. Talk to your Parents and let them talk to us....... That way we'de be better able to assist in the decission process..........

Let us know what they decide.......
Old 06-08-07, 02:01 PM
Xwakeboard
Pole Position

Default Mega Update!

Hey guy’s,

So a mega update since I first posted the situation that had transpired with our new
LS460 L. Three weeks ago today we took delivery of a mercury metallic LS 460 L with the touring package. It dies two miles outside the dealership, they take it back tell us they will replace the engine. Last week the engine arrives, but an o ring is missing that is crucial to the installation so still no car. Close out week two.

Parents went to Tahoe yesterday and were hoping that the car would be ready, no dice. However, before they leave we get a call from the service department. The engine failed again, they don’t know what went wrong, the want to give us a new car. Here is the problem, we would really like an LS 460 L mercury metallic with the touring package, so the dealership is starting a search for another car.

My question is, is this in vain? I mean is this particular configuration truly as hard to find as they make it seem?
Old 06-08-07, 02:43 PM
daryll40
Pole Position

Received 420 Likes on 286 Posts

Hold out for what you paid for. If need be, make them order an '08. In fact, that might be better. Plus pay for a rental car/loaner until it arrives.

Look, stuff like this DOES happen from time to time EVEN with Lexus. That being said Lexus is fat and happy enough to take care of you and they don't want the bad press. So stand up for yourself and insist on a new car, exactly as you originally bought, and a decent loaner/rental until they can get it or build it if need be. Just do it.
Old 06-08-07, 02:55 PM
Nospinzone

Received 423 Likes on 326 Posts

Originally Posted by Xwakeboard
My question is, is this in vain? I mean is this particular configuration truly as hard to find as they make it seem?
Nope, they can make 1000's of them at the factory. Hold out for what your folks want and ask for reasonable compensation.
Old 06-08-07, 03:16 PM
encore888
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Best of luck on your search.

Interestingly, the only LS 460 L Touring I've seen, which was about two weeks ago, was a LS 460 L Touring in Mercury Metallic, with Longo Lexus plates.
Old 06-08-07, 04:52 PM
Xwakeboard
Pole Position

Originally Posted by enigma888
Best of luck on your search.

Interestingly, the only LS 460 L Touring I've seen, which was about two weeks ago, was a LS 460 L Touring in Mercury Metallic, with Longo Lexus plates.
We stopped by the dealership the other day and inside the sales managers office there was a print out of the rankings of all the dealerships in California, Longo Lexus was ranked number one.
Old 06-08-07, 05:25 PM
Yang1815
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Good luck and hopefully the 2nd car is normal!

Quick Reply: Humorous LS460L Delivery experience