LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

LS460 - Uncomfortable driver seat?

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-07, 05:47 PM
sjpobox
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by thrang
Thanks for this - just curious though - earlier you indicated you had performed several of this seat padding repairs - this was done without a TSB, but covered by Lexus? If so, is it plausible to assume the "unofficial fix" you did earlier is becoming the official TSB?

Thanks
Hi, even though it is not a tsb it still is covered under your bumper to bumper warranty. so lexus does pay for the repair. basically we removed the seat, removed the seat cushion, stuffed 3 to 4 inch egg crate foam that we cut out and installed the seat cover over it. I always hate doing interior work because there is a possibility of the seat not looking factory when you put it back together. I doubt this will be the tsb but they are working on it.
Old 08-20-07, 12:59 PM
Saudi
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i do not agree with you the seats are very comfort and sporty on the same time
Old 09-02-07, 10:52 PM
Astie
Driver School Candidate

I'm having the exact same problem. Does anyone know if/when there will be a TSB? My dealer doesn't seem to want to do anything unless there's a TSB...
Old 09-03-07, 03:40 AM
thrang
Rookie

Originally Posted by Astie
I'm having the exact same problem. Does anyone know if/when there will be a TSB? My dealer doesn't seem to want to do anything unless there's a TSB...
My dealer apparently got the ok from Lexus to have an upholsterer add padding to the seat - this was done a few weeks ago - dealer removed the seat, gave it to an independent upholsterer (who specialized in custom car work), and he added quite a bit of padding.

No more bottoming out, and the work was first class. But overall, I still cannot get as comfortable in the LS as I could in my prior 750. You never feel quite "pocketed" in like you do in the 7, and in my case, the LS exacerbates my sciatica

But to your point - the dealer should be able to get this covered under warranty as was mine. Dealer also noted that the seat issue had come up in a weekly call with Lexus engineers, and that there likely would be a tsb, but he felt the "custom" fix I was going to have done would be more thorough than what the tsb would cover.
Old 09-03-07, 09:27 AM
acecert
Pit Crew

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I find this thread interesting because I don't seem to have a bottoming out issue, but I do think the seats of the LS are not that comfortable. I had a BMW 745 prior to this and those seats were really very comfortable and supportive. I don't find support to be the issue with the LS but the comfort of the seats could be improved. They seem to be hard and narrow. I'm 6' 180 lbs and my rear end is not wide at all (more info that what you probably wanted to know) but I do wonder for those with wider back sides how they must feel in these seats if I feel the right and left wings of them on the bottom pressing up against my sides. They seem to be very narrow.
Old 09-03-07, 09:56 AM
thrang
Rookie

Originally Posted by acecert
I find this thread interesting because I don't seem to have a bottoming out issue, but I do think the seats of the LS are not that comfortable. I had a BMW 745 prior to this and those seats were really very comfortable and supportive. I don't find support to be the issue with the LS but the comfort of the seats could be improved. They seem to be hard and narrow. I'm 6' 180 lbs and my rear end is not wide at all (more info that what you probably wanted to know) but I do wonder for those with wider back sides how they must feel in these seats if I feel the right and left wings of them on the bottom pressing up against my sides. They seem to be very narrow.
Exactly - I'm 5'11, 215, and the LS seating is not well proportioned for me - not something you could really tell on a couple of test drives, but once you drive for a while...

I haven't measured, but I bet the seat bottom is wider between the bolsters/wings on the 750 than the LS. I feel the sides of the seat tend to squish my hips together. Same with the seat back side wings - I feel pressure on the sides of my back because their so stiff. On the 750, the angle of those sie wings is power adjustable too.

The headrest is rock hard as well - on the 750, there is softer padding. 4 way lumbar control and more intelligent thigh extension support (the front thigh support only slides in or out on the 750, not the entire seat)

Lexus could stand to learn a thing or two from BMW when it comes to seat ergonomics and adjustability
Old 09-03-07, 10:03 AM
Luxofreak
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by thrang
My dealer apparently got the ok from Lexus to have an upholsterer add padding to the seat - this was done a few weeks ago - dealer removed the seat, gave it to an independent upholsterer (who specialized in custom car work), and he added quite a bit of padding.
Will this affect the seat heat/cool function?
Old 09-04-07, 05:45 PM
thrang
Rookie

Originally Posted by Luxofreak
Will this affect the seat heat/cool function?
I asked about this, and no, done correctly, the padding is added beneath the tubing for the ventilation. My ventilation works fine after the padding has been added
Old 09-13-07, 03:55 PM
motor778
Driver School Candidate

Unhappy Update on driver's seat

Dealership had replaced seat couishon in my car as well as added extra padding (not sure how much).

Unfortunately, it did not help.

I am going to dealership again later in September. Not sure what else can be done.
Old 09-13-07, 09:36 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

That's really unfortunately. One of the main reason why people buy the Lexus LS-series is for comfort.

It's not just you though. A lot of different Lexus I sit in (mainly my 99 GS), have horrible seats. I feel like i'm sitting on cardboard. My buns starts to hate the car after 10 minutes of driving