LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Why is Lexus Link not standard?

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-07, 03:47 PM
ghmundt
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Why is Lexus Link not standard?

I can't believe that GM can equip every car with Onstar and not only is Lexus link not standard on the 460, it is not even included in most of the packagings of the SWB 460. Something is wrong there.
Old 06-23-07, 04:48 PM
Mallory H.
Driver

Originally Posted by ghmundt
I can't believe that GM can equip every car with Onstar and not only is Lexus link not standard on the 460, it is not even included in most of the packagings of the SWB 460. Something is wrong there.
I could be wrong but I dont think to many Lexus buyers care to have Lexus Link (ON Star). I know a few Lexus customers were upset when we had the anntena for Lexus Link but it was no longer available. With the Blue Tooth phone system I felt I could live without the Lexus Link so I did not get it on my 460 but when I purchased my 2005 LS430 I wanted it but it was not available although the car was equiped with the antenna for it.
Old 06-23-07, 05:32 PM
garyr
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ghmundt.....I hear you, have no idea why such a great safety feature is not available on the flag ship.....Lexus has done some dumb things with this car. I'm almost tired of repeating myself over and over when people ask me how I like the car.
Old 06-23-07, 11:29 PM
encore888
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Well that's why---customer demand. Not enough Lexus customers order it or competitively seek it, so it's an option that was discontinued on the LS 430. At least they brought it back for the LS 460.
Old 06-24-07, 06:13 AM
Nospinzone

Received 423 Likes on 326 Posts

I assume its like Onstar in that you have to pay a monthly subscription fee. I don't see what it would do for me that my Nav system and cell phone couldn't do. Except of course maybe like in some of those horrid Onstar commericals where the driver becomes incapcitated in an accident or has some kind of seizure. My wife can't stand any of their commercials, she switches the radio station every time an Onstar commercial comes on.

Besides, I have enough recurring monthly bills, I don't need another!
Old 06-24-07, 10:55 AM
Johnny
Pole Position

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

I'm glad they didn't include Lexus Link as standard. BT is just fine, and gets the same if not better results.

I've always looked at OnStar as a cash cow. The ads promoting it are pathetic.

It'll disappear soon enough, when the revenues die out.
Old 06-24-07, 11:40 AM
Barrynsh
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Lexus Link (which I believe is actually On-Star) affords nothing that an extra wallet key and a cell phone wouldn't solve. In addtion, the phone charges are pathetic. I have never continued the service beyond the 1st year in 3 separate cars.

In the few instances where I needed directions or reservations, I arrived at the final location before I got an answer.

The traffic alerts are about the only thing that could be useful, but in each instance the alert didn't tell me anything I already didn't know and by the time I got to the location it was all cleared.

I agree this is a cash cow which is trying to create a need for some services which are either not needed or already available.

As far as locating a stolen car, LO-JACK provides a better service which has its own power supply and allows location of the car directly from sensors in a patrol car.
Old 06-24-07, 11:51 AM
Helmar
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I only use my cell phone in the car.

I was therefore considering getting rid of my cell phone and using the Lexus Link phone feature, which can originate and receive cell calls.

Does anyone have any experience with the Lexus Link cell phone feature?

HBH
Old 06-24-07, 12:25 PM
Craig B
Pole Position

Received 54 Likes on 38 Posts

Aren't the rates high using On Star as your only cell phone service?

Craig
Old 06-24-07, 02:00 PM
Johnny
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Helmar
I only use my cell phone in the car.
So Bluetooth should do just fine, and there are no ongoing charges for having it.
Old 06-24-07, 06:16 PM
ghmundt
Driver

You folks are totally missing the point of the best features of the system. BMW, Mercedes, most other highline companies have it. Most important use is safety related, an automatic emergency call if airbag(s) have been deployed. Next remote unlocking if your keys are left in the car. Third, periodic diagnostic of key vehicle systems. Next vehicle tracking in the event your car is stolen.I could go on, but cell phone calls, reservations not important on this system. As to demand from Lexus, it is a bit of a joke to say it is not ordered because 7 of the 8 Lexus cars I have purchased came with prepackaged option combinations determined by some Lexus employee either here or in Japan.
It just seems the car Lexus boasts being most technologically advanced vehicle out there should include simple technology that can be very helpful that every chevy sold in this country comes with. It seems to be included on most of the 460Ls but not SWB 460s.
Old 06-24-07, 06:43 PM
Johnny
Pole Position

Default Important for some, Insignificant for others...

You make a good point, but for me anyway, it's superfluous.

Lexus must think so as well, or it's a cost item whose demand is marginal.
Old 06-24-07, 07:37 PM
2007es350
Lead Lap

It's not important to me at all. We have an Acura with Acura Link (which is Onstar like Lexus Link). The only possible useful feature is the automatic emergency notification when the airbags deploy. Not needed for us since we rarely travel along desolate highways. Also not worth the $200/year basic subscription fee for this feature.

Oh and the lockout feature....when was the last time anybody locked themselves out of their LS460? With the Lexus keyless locking and unlocking (when you have the key fob in your pocket), it is impossible to lock your key fob in your car; in fact, I don't think the car will allow you to lock your car with the key fob still inside the car!
Old 06-24-07, 07:56 PM
Nospinzone

Received 423 Likes on 326 Posts

Those are some nice features Ghmundt, and I see your point. Personally though the only one that I would find useful might be the notification when airbags deploy. That's why I wouldn't want to pay $900, or the $760 dealer cost, to have it standard with the vehicle.
Old 06-24-07, 08:26 PM
ghmundt
Driver

Its interesting in GMs its a no cost option. Why $960 from Lexus. And if you look at the option packages for the 460 on the Lexus website, it is included in all of the packages for the L, but only the most expensive package for the SWB.
Just explain what the Lexus product planners are thinking by packaging it as an upscale option like that?

Quick Reply: Why is Lexus Link not standard?