LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Hard Drive Music Question

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-07, 06:30 PM
Luxofreak
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by BlackGS_06
Hi guys,

I am thinking about upgrading from my GS to a 460. I've been looking through the packages, and I am curious about the music recording feature.

The Mark Levinson of course makes it worth the price, but I am just wondering what people think about the hard drive music feature (dose anybody really record a lot of CDs???)
If you like sound quality you will not want to record anything into the HD. Not because the ML has a bad quality, but because ALL compressed music presents a big loss in imaging and depth, as well as low frequency response.

I have the 19 speaker ML but I NEVER use the HD. I rather listen to well recorded CDs. The whole iPod and mp3 phenomenon is a disservice to the music in my opinion. The 44.1Khz sampling rate of regular CDs is already a quality challenge, and the sound of compressed "portable" devices just plain sucks. But again, it depends on what each one perceives as "quality".
Old 07-09-07, 08:47 PM
Nospinzone

Received 419 Likes on 323 Posts

Originally Posted by Luxofreak
... ALL compressed music presents a big loss in imaging and depth, as well as low frequency response.

The 44.1Khz sampling rate of regular CDs is already a quality challenge, and the sound of compressed "portable" devices just plain sucks. But again, it depends on what each one perceives as "quality".
Luxo, I just love it when you talk dirty to us!
Old 07-10-07, 04:31 PM
Luxofreak
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Nospinzone
Luxo, I just love it when you talk dirty to us!
That makes life exciting!

In regards to the DVD/mp3 thing... the answer is simple: MP3 sound is low quality. ML does not want to have its system perceived as low quality because of a bad source. Lets face it, while more people have access to mp3 players and more companies are making millions selling songs in compressed formats, the makers of hi-fi equipment won't budge because they know their clientele.

Simply put, when you take one second of music and break it down in 1,411,200 pieces but you only store 320,000 pieces (320kbps) on the disk, quality goes out the window.

Mark Levinson can't create quality out of a crippled source file, so they rather not even allow it.

Last edited by Luxofreak; 07-11-07 at 12:05 PM.
Old 07-12-07, 08:24 AM
Johnny
Pole Position

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Luxo, I'm assuming your post refers to DVD quality recordings, right? I'm having trouble finding vendors of music DVDs in the Vancouver area. Other than Amazon which takes forever to deliver, what is the DVD selection/availability like in your neck of the woods?
Old 07-12-07, 01:07 PM
Luxofreak
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Burnaby
Luxo, I'm assuming your post refers to DVD quality recordings, right? I'm having trouble finding vendors of music DVDs in the Vancouver area. Other than Amazon which takes forever to deliver, what is the DVD selection/availability like in your neck of the woods?
No, it refers to MP3 quality recordings, regardless on what media they are stored. It could be on a CD or DVD (more space) or in the 460 HD, it doesn't matter.

You might ask, "If MP3 is so bad why Lexus gives us the option to rip songs to the HD in the car?" - I believe it's because ripping is popular, and Mark Levinson decided to allow only their own encoding algorithm to be used. The loss of quality happens during encoding which is NOT standarized in the industry. Decoding (listening) is somewhat standarized. So, ML says - well, you want to rip, fine. But you will have to use my encoder because I can't guarantee quality from other encoders.

I know this is a lot of mumbo-jumbo but hey... when you watch and listen the 5.1 surround RUSH R-30 concert in the LS-460 you'll probably ask yourself "who wants to listen to MP3 compressed crap anyways" ???
Old 07-12-07, 02:11 PM
Johnny
Pole Position

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Your mumbo-jumbo is clear enough; to me anyway, and I totally agree with your conclusion...

Having the versatility of multi-format loading/playbacks is a step up above the competition as well...

On the other hand, I wish they had gone multi-world on the DVD videos...
Old 07-15-07, 01:14 AM
encore888
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

The idea of specific quality restrictions affecting functionality is consistent with my discussions with Lexus techs; like the rest of Lexus, ML integration also takes into account quality and there is a "no compromise" approach which may be less versatile but always guarantees quality and the highest possible standard.