LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Hard Drive Music Question

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-07, 06:51 PM
BlackGS_06
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Hard Drive Music Question

Hi guys,

I am thinking about upgrading from my GS to a 460. I've been looking through the packages, and I am curious about the music recording feature.

The Mark Levinson of course makes it worth the price, but I am just wondering what people think about the hard drive music feature (dose anybody really record a lot of CDs???)
Old 07-02-07, 08:45 PM
SmackDaddy
Driver School Candidate

I personally love it. My salesman gave me the "it will only record original CD's, not burned CD's" spiel, but I knew that had to be crap since all CD's are "burned". I haven't been able to load mp3's, but I don't really expect to completely fill up the HD.

By the way, the quality of the sound, using mp3's that were originally saved from original disc and CD quality, variable bit, and then burned back to wav files to burn a music disc, is OUTSTANDING.
Old 07-02-07, 10:07 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

i think it's a very good thing except that it's done very stupidly. the fact that you have to RIP an AUDIO cd into its database, i would never ever understand.... it says it's for protection but i don't see any, especially when it ALLOWS to play a CD full of mp3 (please explain to me the difference).

so honestly, i don't care much about that feature. i would rather just burn a CD full of mp3 (figure around 150 to 200 of them) and just stick it in. it's much faster than putting in 15 to 20 CDs in the car and let it rip
Old 07-02-07, 10:09 PM
jpmotdyn
Pole Position

Originally Posted by rominl
i think it's a very good thing except that it's done very stupidly. the fact that you have to RIP an AUDIO cd into its database, i would never ever understand.... it says it's for protection but i don't see any, especially when it ALLOWS to play a CD full of mp3 (please explain to me the difference).

so honestly, i don't care much about that feature. i would rather just burn a CD full of mp3 (figure around 150 to 200 of them) and just stick it in. it's much faster than putting in 15 to 20 CDs in the car and let it rip
Very true!! I have had the car for 3 months now and have burned 2 songs on the HDD. And that was today!! I also usually burn an mp3 cd and play from there. Just my opinion
Old 07-02-07, 10:15 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by jpmotdyn
Very true!! I have had the car for 3 months now and have burned 2 songs on the HDD. And that was today!! I also usually burn an mp3 cd and play from there. Just my opinion
hahhaa, after all you want to test to make sure that function works
Old 07-04-07, 03:15 AM
george1688
Driver

Question

Can the CD player play burn discs? I'm not asking whether burned cds can import
to the HDD.
Old 07-04-07, 04:12 AM
encore888
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by george1688
to the HDD.
Yes, the DVD changer can play audio CD's including burned CDs. However the CDs should be burned properly during one session; if they're playable on a good stereo they should be fine and work in the LS as well.

For even more songs, the DVD changer will also play a CD-R or CD-RW that is loaded with mp3's or wma files.

Last edited by encore888; 07-04-07 at 09:53 PM.
Old 07-04-07, 09:51 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

and make sure it stays within 74 mins instead of 80 mins. a lot of times players can't get past 74 mins
Old 07-04-07, 01:01 PM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 533 Likes on 282 Posts

Originally Posted by george1688
to the HDD.
Yes it can. Make sure when you put a burned CD in, that it does not have an add-on printed label on it. There are higher chances of it getting jammed in the player as CD-R's tend to be thicker than store bought cds.
Old 07-04-07, 06:34 PM
dimapb
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by enigma888
Yes, the DVD changer can play audio CD's including burned CDs. However the CDs should be burned properly during one session; if they're playable on a good stereo they should be fine and work in the LS as well.

For even more songs, the DVD changer will also play a CD or DVD that is loaded with mp3's or wma files.
Maybe it's just me, but I have not been able to figure out how to play DVD MP3's. I can play CD MP3's, but not DVD MP3's. Are you sure you are able to do so? If yes, what program did you use to burn the DVD and what were your settings?
Old 07-04-07, 07:01 PM
exBMWowner
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have found the HD recoding feature to be quite useful. I have burned over 50 CDs to the drive, and I routinely listen to the music in random mode, so that I can listen to quite a variety of music without commercials or reception problems.

My biggest complaint about the feature is that it takes a ridiculously long time to transfer 50 CDs to the drive, and since I lease my cars and trade them in every three years, I will have to do this all over again each time I get a new car. They did not include a feature to transfer the content of the hard drive from one car to another. At least an Ipod can be transferred to a new computer when you need to.

Aside from that drawback, I would recommend the hard drive if you are going to buy an LS460. You are already spending a ridiculous amount of money for the car, so you might as well have all the toys.
Old 07-04-07, 09:59 PM
encore888
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by dimapb
Maybe it's just me, but I have not been able to figure out how to play DVD MP3's. I can play CD MP3's, but not DVD MP3's. Are you sure you are able to do so? If yes, what program did you use to burn the DVD and what were your settings?
Please excuse my likely error. It's probable that the system cannot play DVD mp3 discs. My experience with Lexus mp3 capability is with CD-Rs that have mp3s burned on them. I have edited my post to state that for sure the system can play CD-Rs and CD-RWs that have been burned with mp3s. The CD-R and CD-RW capability exists on other new Lexus models as well. Again, they will play only the first session burned on such a disc.
Old 07-04-07, 10:21 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

it can play mp3 cd, but it cannot play mp3 dvd
Old 07-05-07, 10:51 AM
SmackDaddy
Driver School Candidate

I wonder if this would work?

Probably take awhile to convert mp3's to AC3, but can probably get a ton of songs on there, and if you're creating true DVD's, the display info may all come through well.

http://www.audio-dvd-creator.com/
Old 07-09-07, 05:24 PM
encore888
Lexus Champion

I feel your pain, we can only hope that Lexus will add DVD mp3 capability in the future. If I designed the LS 460, I would have added the DVD mp3 capability, and made it easier for the HDD to be loaded with songs. However, Lexus is a very strict division when it comes to safety and technological implementation. That's why the NAVI lockout has been implemented, much to the chagrin of many CL users and elsewhere. As for the electronics, Lexus often guarantees reliability by implementing technology after they have been trial-tested in the JDM market, for instance the APGS. It's possible similar audio, HDD, onboard TV and security tech which is now available in Japan will be added to export versions in the future.

Quick Reply: Hard Drive Music Question