LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Regret Buying LS460 Wind Noise and Screen Lockout

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-07, 01:51 PM
KILLERGS4
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

The wind noise probelm was brought up in the Car&Driver Magzine couple months ago:

2007 Lexus LS460L - Comparison Tests 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6
Fifth Place: Chauffeur Showdown: 2007 Lexus LS460L
Introduction
Fifth Place: Lexus LS460L
Fourth Place: Jaguar Super V-8
Third Place: BMW 750Li
Second Place: Audi A8L Quattro
First Place: Mercedes-Benz S550

2007 Lexus LS460L

Highs: Tranquil environment, flawless finish, comprehensive standard luxury equipment.

Lows: Soft in roll, squishy tires, small trunk, long stopping distances.

The Verdict: May be the most indulgent luxury car in the segment.

For a car that some of us thought might win going in, fifth place seems astonishing. But you have to blame the Lexus’s obsessive isolation from noise and vibration for this outcome. Although the LS460L cossets its occupants with comfortable seats and all kinds of creature comforts (such as an air diffuser over the rear occupants to avoid drafts and an extraordinary DVD sound system), its dynamics don’t hold up in hard-driving situations.

Blame goes mainly to the all-season tires and the car’s soft roll motions, but the variable-ratio steering was also cited for its uncommunicative nature — if not its accuracy — and the electrohydraulic brakes were similarly peculiar in operation, producing longer-than-expected stopping distances.

Persuading the Lexus to negotiate our famous lane-change test was akin to driving a coach. When the vehicle-dynamics system (VDIM) is switched off — a “VSC off” light illuminates, making us wonder which acronym applies here — the LS460L indulges in long, wide slides. Leave the system on, and it still allows the car to get well out of shape before stepping in to confuse the driver.

In normal twisty surrounds, the Lexus reverts to a safer understeering mien, squealing its all-season rubber and rolling like a dinghy in a squall when pushed hard. But the true essence of the car is quite spectacular, with a tuneful V-8 and slick eight-speed automatic. The steering mechanism rotates as if on roller bearings (it might well be), and the sound levels are low enough inside that imperfect door seals on our preproduction vehicle produced wind noise that seemed hurricane-like in comparison.
But if the back seat is where you spend most of your time, then Lexus has its priorities correct. A comfortable ride, a quiet and scrupulously climate-controlled atmosphere, multiadjustable seating with Peltier cooling pads, and video entertainment with one of the best car stereos ever devised are at your disposal. So chill. You made the right decision after all.

And LEXUS still couldn't fix the problem!!!!
Old 07-17-07, 01:52 PM
KILLERGS4
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

http://www.caranddriver.com/comparis...us-ls460l.html

here's the address
Old 07-17-07, 02:06 PM
fteiii
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

MUCH louder than a 2002 GMC ranch truck. I'm actually going to use a sound pressure level meter to determine exactly how loud the 460L is and compare with the ranch truck.
Old 07-17-07, 02:20 PM
encore888
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Please note: LS 460 Wind Noise fix:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...=290201&page=8

Details are in this thread. Based on posters who have asked at dealerships, and the experience of recent LS 460 owners, it appears that the wind noise issue is resolved in the latest 2007 builds, and will simiarly be the case for the 2008s.

For those 2007 LS owners with the wind noise issue, Mallory has reported in the above thread of a successful fix done by his Lexus dealership, in conjunction with Lexus HQ technical support.

As for the screen lockout, here is a thread with ongoing discussion, abboushi is attempting to get the screen lockout/DVD blackout removed. That may also shed some light on accessing other functions while in motion.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=293806
Old 07-17-07, 02:48 PM
Luxofreak
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Well, the end of that thread is what matters, "So chill. You made the right decision after all."
Old 07-17-07, 02:59 PM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

No car is perfect. Some of the LS owners IMHO are being unreasonable with their complaints about the new LS. It's impossible for the new LS, or any car for that matter to be problem-free, but it almost feels as though some LS owners are expecting a perfect car.

The important thing is that Lexus is aware of the wind noise problem, and it looks like a fix is being implemented right at the factory as well as at dealers.
Old 07-18-07, 06:33 AM
Matsui
Intermediate

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Regarding screen lockout, what Lexus should have done was put an option to go to unlock mode with the warning on the screen saying "I understand that I may get into an accident while using the navigation system during driving and I shall hold myself solely responsible when I do. I release Lexus of any liability if I get into an accident while driving in this vehicle." Clicking on "OK" with some sort of biometric technology on the screen would be a signature to waive Lexus of any liability. This would be a win win situation for everyone
Old 07-18-07, 07:15 AM
MSMLexIS
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

"and the sound levels are low enough inside that imperfect door seals on our preproduction vehicle produced wind noise that seemed hurricane-like in comparison." Two things that stand out to me Preproduction and Interior levles are so low. Thye also said the LS had a tranquil enviroment. Did you get the laminated windows.
Old 07-18-07, 08:20 AM
thrang
Rookie

Originally Posted by nblexus15
"they" are an aftermarket company that works close with the local Lexus dealer. I just spoke to them and the hardware is 3 weeks out. It simply tricks the electronics that the car is at a stand still. One issue is the "voice nav" will not work while in the override mode..but you simply have to flick a switch back to the OEM setting and then the voice nav will resume. Once it's installed on my car I will report back the results and pass on the name.

It's not perfect...but it works. Beside this...the car is awesome and I love it more each day!
Is this going to be a locally available product only, or will they be selling kits across the country that I can have installed locally by an experienced car a/v installer?
Old 07-18-07, 06:50 PM
dgn
Driver School Candidate

Default Could not be happier

When I first read about some of the wind noise problems I was quite concerned and posted a question and only received 10 replys but well over 200 people read it. One can say that means the problems are isolated. To me, this car is amazing! The wind noise issue would upset me if I had it but I do not. As far as the navigation goes I have dealt with that on my last 3 lexus vehicles. It is simply a safety issue, are we that spoiled? You may be able to use it on BMW but it also takes a month to turn the dial on BMW to get what you want! The "****" on BMW is ridiculous. Should we not all be happy enough being able to afford these cars?

P.S.-Saw a brand new E Class being put on a flatbed this morning on the way to work. HOw would you like to be him?
Old 07-18-07, 07:03 PM
Luxofreak
Lead Lap

^^ Agreed.
Old 07-18-07, 10:18 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by dgn
P.S.-Saw a brand new E Class being put on a flatbed this morning on the way to work. HOw would you like to be him?

well to be frank it depends on what it is for. lexus also has flatbed service to bring your car for an oil change
Old 07-18-07, 10:48 PM
GS3Tek

Received 165 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by rominl
well to be frank it depends on what it is for. lexus also has flatbed service to bring your car for an oil change
Depends if that car was picked up at home or on the freeway.

Naw, S class has been pretty good-from what I read, much improved over the horrible w220s. Not sure of other models.

Wind noise is nothing when it's electrical or mechanical that will you leave stranded.

I agree the nav lock out is stupid. I feel a little better that my friend's jeep grand cherokee does it too and it's broken/dead *cough* POS *cough*
Old 07-19-07, 08:51 AM
Luxofreak
Lead Lap

Just for the record, wind noise is fixed.
Old 07-19-07, 08:57 AM
Craig B
Pole Position

Received 54 Likes on 38 Posts

Did they damage anything? I talked to the dealer and they told me, if anything was damaged, they would replace the whole door panel. Mallory said they damaged his car. If they damage mine, they will either replace what they damaged, or get me another car. This will be the second time they've had my door panels apart for wind noise. I take my car in next Tuesday.

Craig

Quick Reply: Regret Buying LS460 Wind Noise and Screen Lockout