LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Regret Buying LS460 Wind Noise and Screen Lockout

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-07, 09:35 PM
lwilliams
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Regret Buying LS460 Wind Noise and Screen Lockout

I love my new LS460 but the Wind Noise is very bad especially if driving into the wind and the functions on the display that we are allowed to access while driving are completely ridiculous. I got rid of a beautiful Black 2007 BMW 750I for this Lexus and on the BMW I could access just about every function that I wanted to while driving or parked. I have talked to the dealer several times and they keep giving me this future date to repair the wind noise and of course nothing they can do about the locked out display.
Just wanted to vent my frustations.
Thanks

Moderator Note: For details on the LS 460 Wind Noise Fix, please refer to this thread::

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...295429&page=12

There within are details, customer testimonials, and pictures of the wind noise repair for affected LS 460s.

Last edited by encore888; 08-11-07 at 09:23 PM. Reason: added link to wind noise fix thread
Old 07-12-07, 09:40 PM
olddog
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default hey

Originally Posted by lwilliams
I love my new LS460 but the Wind Noise is very bad especially if driving into the wind and the functions on the display that we are allowed to access while driving are completely ridiculous. I got rid of a beautiful Black 2007 BMW 750I for this Lexus and on the BMW I could access just about every function that I wanted to while driving or parked. I have talked to the dealer several times and they keep giving me this future date to repair the wind noise and of course nothing they can do about the locked out display.
Just wanted to vent my frustations.
Thanks
ok? now that you vented, what next?
you guys complain too much
let me know when and i will gladly exchange my gs300 for your ls460
enjoy your LS460

Last edited by olddog; 07-12-07 at 09:48 PM.
Old 07-12-07, 10:05 PM
encore888
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Sorry to hear about your regrets.

The wind noise is something that probably can be repaired; as for the NAVI lockout that depends on whether an aftermarket solution or hack can be found. Your dealer may be waiting on the wind noise fix just as lots of us are, to see if it works in test examples.

Hopefully some things can be done to make your LS experience more enjoyable.
Old 07-12-07, 10:26 PM
nblexus15
Driver School Candidate

An aftermarket over-ride switch is in the works. They are going to put it on my car soon. I'll let you know when it happens.
Old 07-13-07, 08:15 AM
Rocman
Pole Position

Man, my LS is as quiet as can be. For some of you that are complaining, how much noise are you actually getting?

For the OP, your trade was an 07. What did you not like about that car? It seems that you are never happy with your car purchases.

As far as the lockout, it does not bother me that much. It just means more of you will not rear end me.
Old 07-13-07, 08:28 AM
RXSF

Received 73 Likes on 44 Posts

i wouldnt go as far as to say its a regret...that has to be an exageration. as others have said, the windnoise can probably be fixed since its just the simple weather strip right?

the lockout shouldnt bother you that much. everytime i get into my car, i just push the "i agree" button and thats it. perhaps sometimes ill find my way into the aircon menu. with that said, i dont have the bluetooth function so i dont know if it blocks that out.

the nav is basically for quick referance and or used when going on vacation. and during those times, its easy to pull over and do the typing.
Old 07-13-07, 08:49 AM
Luxofreak
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I think a little reading before posting helps everyone. The wind noise fix EXISTS and my car is at the dealer now. Soon it will be a TSB, and BTW this problem only affect a certain amount of cars.

I can't believe how many wind noise posts and threads exist here, lets keep'em all together folks
Old 07-13-07, 11:42 AM
garyr
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Iwilliams...... I HERE YOU AND FEEL YOUR PAIN MAN, I had 2 generations of BMW 7's and this car with it's problems is really starting to make me regret buying it.

I really disliked the design direction of Chris Bangle and what he did to the E-65. Most of the Lex only guys don't realize all the 7 series similarities in the 460, thats why I bought it. The last thing I thought when I bought this car is that I would have so many problems and I'm not getting any resolve with the dealer nor Lex corp. Not saying BMW is any better, their customer service is far from perfect.

I really can't stand comments members are saying about the wind noise "it's not a big deal" and "I can't believe all the whiners who own 460's" or "Lexus will fix it soon". For all of you that don't own the car or who are not experiencing the problem do me a favor and stop commenting or if you really feel the need to, please crack all your windows slightly and drive the car like that for 4-5 months, than please buy all means comment.

I paid 83-k for this car and to date their is no fix for the wind noise! my brothers new Honda Accord EXL is MUCH quieter!!!! I may get some some magnetic lemon stickers for the car until I can't stand it anymore or Lex decides to fix it.
Old 07-13-07, 12:53 PM
Rocman
Pole Position

Originally Posted by garyr
I may get some some magnetic lemon stickers for the car until I can't stand it anymore or Lex decides to fix it.
Post pics!
Old 07-13-07, 01:03 PM
LexusLean
Driver School Candidate

To "nblexus14"...you say an aftermarket override switch for the navi motion lock-out will be available, and "they" are going to install it soon.

Who are "they"?

I'd pay a $1,000 to effectively, and without damaging the components, override the navigation motion lockout. Let me know, please.

Last edited by LexusLean; 07-13-07 at 01:04 PM. Reason: clarity
Old 07-13-07, 06:17 PM
ayalda
Driver School Candidate

Default noise problem

I talked to a sells person and he told me that Lexus is aware of the problem and will be addressed in 2008 models.
Old 07-13-07, 09:10 PM
Luxofreak
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Reading some of the posts on this thread I have to say Good Lord, I am GLAD the "problem" is wind noise. Can you imagine how much of a pain would be to have the same electric problems other luxury cars have?

I'm not thrilled that the car has wind noise but at least this isn't a Merc nav system swap or a LR-3 nervous (i.e. electric) system breakdown or anything else major like that. The LS-460 is a tank - can't get a more reliable car than that. And I have to tell you, all things considered Lexus service rocks, I've been treated very well and they are working hard on the wind noise fix.
Old 07-14-07, 06:19 AM
lwilliams
Driver School Candidate

I agree with GARYR in the fact that for an 80K plus vehicle from Lexus I shouldn't have to call the dealer every few weeks to see if there is a fix yet and always with the same answer that it is in the works. I have tolerated this lame wind noise for several months from Lexus dealership and all they can say is it's in the works. I still say the whole nav and display access system is junky compared to the 750I BMW that I sold to buy the Lexus. I don't see that BMW and Mercedes have gotten lawsuits over being able to access the display system while driving and that's two very large companies.
Old 07-14-07, 05:00 PM
nblexus15
Driver School Candidate

"they" are an aftermarket company that works close with the local Lexus dealer. I just spoke to them and the hardware is 3 weeks out. It simply tricks the electronics that the car is at a stand still. One issue is the "voice nav" will not work while in the override mode..but you simply have to flick a switch back to the OEM setting and then the voice nav will resume. Once it's installed on my car I will report back the results and pass on the name.

It's not perfect...but it works. Beside this...the car is awesome and I love it more each day!
Old 07-14-07, 11:37 PM
LexusLean
Driver School Candidate

Thanks, nblexus...I'm in CA too, so, when you do get the work done, I'd love an evaluation and directions to the business that will do the same for me. I'll gladly give up the voice recognition for full functionality while moving...I hope it also will let me see the track listings on my CD's, and get a full listing of POI's, instead of just one gas station, or fast food restaurant.

Quick Reply: Regret Buying LS460 Wind Noise and Screen Lockout