LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

LS460 question (owner satisfaction)

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-07, 07:03 AM
dgn
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LS460 question (owner satisfaction)

I am a 3 time Lexus owner. I have owned the GS300, LS430 and an LX 470. I am picking up a new LS460 tomorrow and some of you are scaring me. The LX470 has been great but I am done with SUVS. My wife and I loved the Ls430, our only complaint was we were the only people under 50 driving it. (No disrespect to those over 50!) We started out looking at the Lx470 again, then the GX but could not stop looking at the LS460. I realize it is not a 7 series or a Mercedes but to me it is the best of both worlds. My question to many of you is about the wind noise. I did not hear it. Are you being over critical? I did not get the park assistant and never really thought it could work anyway so that does not scare me. Bottom line, for those of you that are complaining, are you dissatisfied with the car? If I tried I could find something wrong with any car. For those of you who love it I want to hear from you as well. Looking forward to your replies.........DGN
Old 07-15-07, 07:25 AM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Most quiet compared to everything out on the road...

Originally Posted by dgn
My question to many of you is about the wind noise. I did not hear it. Are you being over critical? I did not get the park assistant and never really thought it could work anyway so that does not scare me. Bottom line, for those of you that are complaining, are you dissatisfied with the car?
I find that the LS460L is ultra-quiet. Now, I must admit that wind will cause some noise, but compared to every other car out on the road, the LS is by far within the top 5% of cars with utmost cabin silence.

Park Assist (just the sensors, not the Automatic Parallel Park) is not necessary, but I do find it extremely helpful with such a big car. Depends on where you live; I live in a metropolitan area that requires it. Compact car spaces are the only ones around here.

Good luck and enjoy that new car!!!
Old 07-15-07, 09:12 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 225 Likes on 153 Posts

At least from this forum, it seems the ones that just recently picked up their LS460 swb are not complaining about wind noise as some of the early adopters do, so I don't think you should worry about it. There is also a fix anyway, & a least one that has done it had said the noise is gone.
Old 07-15-07, 09:57 AM
Craig B
Pole Position

Received 54 Likes on 38 Posts

I have the wind noise, but I really like my car. I wouldn't buy it without the Mark Levinson stereo. I am scheduled to have the wind noise fixed for the second time on July 24th. I only have the noise on the drivers side front window. When it's a windy day, the noise is much worse. It starts above 45 MPH. You should take the car out on the highway, turn off the radio and see if you can hear it. My car was delivered in November, so it was one of the early cars. Other than that, the car is great!

Good luck! I think you will enjoy the LS 460. I sold my LS 430 and like the 460 a lot more than the 430.

Craig
Old 07-15-07, 10:06 AM
Helmar
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by dgn
... I realize it is not a 7 series or a Mercedes ...
I've never understood this.

Other than a deliberate decision to trade some handling characteristics for a smoother and quieter ride (which, depending on your point of view, can be positive or negative) how is an LS inferior or a 7 series or a Mercedes?

HBH
Old 07-15-07, 10:10 AM
Luxofreak
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

It isn't. It's a matter of perception. It will take many more years until people understand Lexus is a better car overall. That's what I hope but in fact it might never happen.
Old 07-15-07, 11:12 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

i honestly don't see the wind noise as a problem *anymore*, since a fix is coming. if there is a problem and no one knows how to fix it, that's something you should worry about

of course, that's if you actually have the problem to begin with. test drive the exact car you are going to buy before you sign the papers, that's the best way
Old 07-15-07, 12:12 PM
encore888
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Most buyers are satisfied with the car!!! Congrats on your new LS 460, hope you enjoy it!
Old 07-15-07, 01:43 PM
luxury1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by dgn
I am a 3 time Lexus owner. I have owned the GS300, LS430 and an LX 470. I am picking up a new LS460 tomorrow and some of you are scaring me. The LX470 has been great but I am done with SUVS. My wife and I loved the Ls430, our only complaint was we were the only people under 50 driving it. (No disrespect to those over 50!) We started out looking at the Lx470 again, then the GX but could not stop looking at the LS460. I realize it is not a 7 series or a Mercedes but to me it is the best of both worlds. My question to many of you is about the wind noise. I did not hear it. Are you being over critical? I did not get the park assistant and never really thought it could work anyway so that does not scare me. Bottom line, for those of you that are complaining, are you dissatisfied with the car? If I tried I could find something wrong with any car. For those of you who love it I want to hear from you as well. Looking forward to your replies.........DGN
I love my LS460 and I bought it when I was 29 (12 days before my 30th)! You will love it!
Old 07-15-07, 02:29 PM
2007es350
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I really like my LS460 even with the wind noise and some crackling and popping noises coming from the dash area.

As far as the wind noise and my dash noises, I have been in contact with my local dealer who is aware of my minor issues and am confident will resolve them. BTW, I think my dash noises come from the creaky plastic surrounding the Nav unit; when the car flexes or goes over bumps, the plastic squeaks.

I really like the ride, the acceleration, and yes even the handling. I know it is not a sports car...in fact it's a big car. However, I feel confident when accelerating while making turns on city streets and on free cloverleafs. I can take turns at almost double the suggested speeds without inducing a squeal from the tires which is much better than my prior ES350.

Overall, the car is comfortable, fast, and quiet. In fact I'm sure that I can hear the wind noise and the occasional popping from the dash because the car is soooooo quiet.
Old 07-15-07, 06:54 PM
Nospinzone

Received 423 Likes on 326 Posts

I am picking up a new LS460 tomorrow and some of you are scaring me.

Some of them scare me too, but it has nothing to do with their comments!

First of all its unlikely you will have the wind noise and glove compartment problems. My car was built in May and it is defect free. Secondly, even if you do have a problem, you can rely on no better manufacturer than Lexus to deal with the issue.

Relax, go pick up your car and enjoy!