LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Sirius Users

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-07, 06:21 PM
kbinfl
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Sirius Users

Are there any Sirius users out there? I test drove an LS460 today, and was more than disappointed to find that Sirius is not available. Lexus claims that Sirius is not up to Lexus quality standards and therefore not currently available on the LS. Does anyone know if Sirius will be available in the near future? If so will it be able to be retro fitted?
Old 07-15-07, 06:28 PM
encore888
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Welcome to ClubLexus, kbinfl!

I have read that Sirius will be offered in the future, but there is no definite date set.

There are however existing aftermarket Sirius interface kits which are designed for 2007 Lexus models, possibly including the LS 460, which may be able to offer factory-like sat radio.
Old 07-15-07, 06:42 PM
Nospinzone
Forum Moderator

Received 431 Likes on 333 Posts

Sirius is going out of business. If they can get FCC approval they will merge with XM. If they can't, it is very likely they will file bankruptcy (don't shed any tears for Howard, he'll do just fine). With such a cloud hanging over Sirius, I can't see how Lexus would offer that option.

Personally I wouldn't waste money on their receivers at this point, however they if the merger is approved, they could remain on the air for a year or two.
Old 07-15-07, 07:21 PM
Craig B
Pole Position

Received 57 Likes on 40 Posts

I thought the FCC wouldn't allow the merger?

Craig
Old 07-15-07, 07:22 PM
Craig B
Pole Position

I have seen kits on Ebay to retro fit Sirius into the LS 460.

Craig
Old 07-15-07, 08:19 PM
Nospinzone
Forum Moderator

Originally Posted by Craig B
I thought the FCC wouldn't allow the merger?

Craig
They haven't made a decision yet. They just now ended soliciting comments from interested parties. Apparently the FCC may wait for the Dept. of Justice to rule on the anti trust issue. My guess is they would approve the merger because if they don't and Sirius goes bankrupt, XM will have a de facto monopoly anyway. At least if the merger is approved, they can have some say in programming, fees and other stipulations.

I don't know if this is true, but I've heard that it costs Sirius almost $200 per subscriber to pay Howard Stern. I don't know their monthly rate, but if its the same as XM, that's about a year and a half of subscriber fees just to pay for him.

One safer bet for KB is to wait until the dual Sirius/XM receivers are available.
Old 07-16-07, 03:20 AM
Craig B
Pole Position

Thanks for the info...

Craig
Old 07-16-07, 02:47 PM
kbinfl
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks for the warm welcome enigma, and thanks to all that had a reponse here! After I posted this question I noticed one of the site's sponsors has an interface module. Now I've somehow got to work all this into the deal! I was able to install Sirius into our Murano, but I had step by step instructions with pictures to easily walk me through the process. I'd hate to pull the Lexus apart without actual instructions for the exact car model.

Anyway, thanks again.
Old 07-16-07, 03:00 PM
IndyJeff
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Nospinzone
Sirius is going out of business. If they can get FCC approval they will merge with XM. If they can't, it is very likely they will file bankruptcy (don't shed any tears for Howard, he'll do just fine). With such a cloud hanging over Sirius, I can't see how Lexus would offer that option.

Personally I wouldn't waste money on their receivers at this point, however they if the merger is approved, they could remain on the air for a year or two.
They are not going out business. I swear people just make up anything and post it on the Internet.
Old 07-16-07, 04:10 PM
midnite c
Driver School Candidate

I own a 05' ls430 and had a "Sirius Connect" installed by the dealer and it changed my XM radio to a Sirius radio. It did not affect my GPS and it works well. They installed a piece of equipment in the trunk and added an antenna on the inside of my windshield. It was triangular and approx. 4" by 4" by 4". I hope this helps. By the way it cost me approx. $500.
Old 07-16-07, 05:55 PM
Nospinzone
Forum Moderator

They are not going out business. I swear people just make up anything and post it on the Internet.

I don't "make up" anything.

Have you looked at their balance sheet? I'm not a principal in the company so I can't make that up.

Forget the financials, and just use common sense. Their stock opened at $4.50 13 years ago, its been as high as $69.44 and its at $3.18 today. Meanwhile the Dow and S&P are at all time highs, and even the Naz is 400% above 1994 levels. Plus, they are desperate to merge with XM. What's wrong with this picture?

I have no stake in Sirius so I don't care whether they thrive or go bankrupt. Like walter Cronkite, I'm just reporting the way it is.

Put all your money in SIRI stock if you think I'm wrong, but don't think I "make up" anything.
Old 07-17-07, 03:04 AM
encore888
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

It's shocking how much Sirius paid for Howard Stern and to think that they may go under because of it!
Old 07-17-07, 06:11 PM
clambros
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If Lexus were to offer a Sirius option, how would XM TRAFFIC NAV work ?
Old 07-18-07, 09:12 AM
IndyJeff
Rookie

Originally Posted by Nospinzone

I don't "make up" anything.

Have you looked at their balance sheet? I'm not a principal in the company so I can't make that up.

Forget the financials, and just use common sense. Their stock opened at $4.50 13 years ago, its been as high as $69.44 and its at $3.18 today. Meanwhile the Dow and S&P are at all time highs, and even the Naz is 400% above 1994 levels. Plus, they are desperate to merge with XM. What's wrong with this picture?

I have no stake in Sirius so I don't care whether they thrive or go bankrupt. Like walter Cronkite, I'm just reporting the way it is.

Put all your money in SIRI stock if you think I'm wrong, but don't think I "make up" anything.
Stock performance has nothing to do with whether or not a company is going to go out of business (just look at Microsoft's dismal stock performance for the past 5 years). They haven't been at $69 since the dot-com bubble burst (their highest since 2003 has been about 9). And, the company has a market cap of $4.72 billion.

Give me some proof that their demise is imminent, otherwise I stand by my assertion that you're just making stuff up.
Old 07-18-07, 10:21 AM
Nospinzone
Forum Moderator

Originally Posted by IndyJeff
Give me some proof that their demise is imminent, otherwise I stand by my assertion that you're just making stuff up.
Well for starters, allow me to quote from their own 2006 Annual Report filed with the SEC (BTW, imminent is your word, not mine).

Our business might never become profitable.

As of December 31, 2006, we had an accumulated deficit of approximately $3.8 billion. We expect our cumulative net losses to grow as we make payments under various contracts, incur marketing and subscriber acquisition costs and make interest payments on our debt. If we are unable ultimately to generate sufficient revenues to become profitable, we could default on our commitments and may have to discontinue operations or seek a purchaser for our business or assets.

I won't bore everyone with all the verbiage (and the titles speak for themselves), but you might want to read the sections of the AR titled -

Our substantial indebtedness could adversely affect our financial health.

Failure to complete the merger for regulatory or other reasons could adversely affect our stock price and our future business and financial results.

Quick Reply: Sirius Users