LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

So, has anyone tried getting the Smart Card Key?

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-07, 05:48 PM
Nospinzone

Received 418 Likes on 322 Posts

I thought the idea of that is so that it would fit in your wallet. I'd be afraid that the first time I sat down it would snap in two!
Old 08-04-07, 07:17 PM
zzzzdoc
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

OK. Gotta play dumb here.

What does the "smart key" do? How is it different from the regular key?
Old 08-04-07, 08:29 PM
encore888
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

The smartkey technology, or Lexus SmartAccess, was introduced on the UCF30 II LS 430 (2004-).

It's the standard key now on the new IS/ES/GS/LS...where you can walk up to the car and it senses your presence, activating lights etc. Then you touch the door handle and it unlocks for you. You can also start the car without the key leaving your pocket.

http://www.lexus.com/models/ES/featu...artaccess.html

The LS page has a similar entry, but the ES page has animation.

The Smart Card is just a thinner, cooler version that fits in your wallet. It is 3.35 millimeters thick, making it the world's thinnest automobile smart key.
Old 08-04-07, 11:09 PM
uae
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

thats right
Old 08-05-07, 07:31 AM
Barrynsh
Rookie

Originally the use of a wallet key was in case the keys were locked in the car by mistake. This virtually can't happen with the LS460 because the car door won't lock with the fob in the car.

Personally I would find it inconvenient to use the wallet card in lieu of the key fob since I have my house keys on the same key ring with the Fob and therfore can't forget the house keys or I won't be able to drive the car.

It seems to me that having an additional source of entry to the car that also could be lost is just decreasing the security of the car.

A really nice feature of the Lexus is that it warns you if you are in the car and the engine is on but there is no keyfob. For instance if you drive up to your mailbox and open it with keys and forget to take the keys out of the mailbox when you leave. Another case could be where you pull out of the garage and leave the motor running when you go back into the house. If you drop you keys in the house
the car will warn you with a dashboard warning.

I can see one use for the wallet card and that is if you do lose you keyfob after you start your engine, as described above, then ignore the warning in the car and drive off a few hundred miles till you need gas. First clue without the wallet card would be that you can't start the car or even get in it after gassing up. This type of thing does not happen often, but I personally can vouch for it happening.
Old 08-05-07, 12:02 PM
encore888
Lexus Champion

Ah yes, the original wallet card for all Lexus vehicles...btw those owners who've left it in their owner's manuals, it's a good idea to take it out and store it someplace.

I assume that the Smart Card LS 460s and Smart Key LS 460s still feature the non smart-enabled wallet card as well?
Attached Thumbnails So, has anyone tried getting the Smart Card Key?-keycode.jpg  
Old 08-05-07, 12:57 PM
Johnny
Pole Position

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

I didn't get the Exec package, so when I first spotted that wallet sized Smart key, it was soooo high on my want list, but I opted to get it later. Now that I've read this thread, I'm glad I didn't spend/waste money on it. Not that I'm knocking it but for me anyway, it now seems frivolous...
Old 08-06-07, 01:31 AM
uae
Lexus Test Driver

Default More Pics

Old 08-06-07, 01:36 AM
encore888
Lexus Champion

Thx for the pics. Looks great. I realize it's an expensive option or not offered in the US, but for guys especially this is the next logical step of smart key technology. Now without having to take the key out of your pocket, this allows you to keep your pocket itself free of an extra item. If I owned the LS 460 I would want one of these. Whether I could afford one though depends...
Old 08-06-07, 09:26 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

i also think this is a great thing where you can just keep it in your wallet and that's it, not another thing dangling in your pocket or purse.
Old 08-06-07, 03:00 PM
Johnny
Pole Position

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

I like your "Made in Canada" wallet...

So, how many dirhams did you have to shell out for your baby?

Last edited by Johnny; 08-06-07 at 03:08 PM.
Old 08-06-07, 04:04 PM
zzzzdoc
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How do you open and lock the doors with the smart key?
Old 08-06-07, 04:11 PM
RXSF

Received 73 Likes on 44 Posts

How do you open and lock the doors with the smart key?
once you touch the door handles, the doors unlock...cool huh?

theres also a black rubber button on all four of the door handles that locks the doors.
Old 08-06-07, 04:33 PM
javyLSU
2IS OG

Received 30 Likes on 14 Posts

I tried to get a glimpse of one of these at Taste of Lexus yesterday, but alas, I failed...

Javier
Old 08-06-07, 05:04 PM
Nospinzone

Received 418 Likes on 322 Posts

Originally Posted by Barrynsh
I can see one use for the wallet card and that is if you do lose you keyfob after you start your engine, as described above, then ignore the warning in the car and drive off a few hundred miles till you need gas. First clue without the wallet card would be that you can't start the car or even get in it after gassing up. This type of thing does not happen often, but I personally can vouch for it happening.
Hmmmm, that brings up an interesting question. I thought somewhere in the 1000+ pages of the manuals, or maybe it was in a print review, I read that if the car drives off without the electronic key that it would stop running after a brief distance. Does anyone know about this?

Quick Reply: So, has anyone tried getting the Smart Card Key?