LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

LS 460 L front windshield unremovable dust !

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-07, 10:23 PM
uae
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by enigma888
So you can 'feel' it by moving your hand over it? Does that mean there is the 'normal' glass underneath and the number is some sort of residue/marker etc? Would using tape and trying to stick to the number and pull the residue off work?
Its like even the window in that area is not smooth. Its like something really strong has been used to drill the numbers in. When water is spilled in that area and you sit inside the car you can see the numbers really really well. So definetly the window is engraved ( The numbers are holed in the window ). I hope im making sense to you buddy.
Old 09-06-07, 11:20 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by uaexuae
Its like even the window in that area is not smooth. Its like something really strong has been used to drill the numbers in. When water is spilled in that area and you sit inside the car you can see the numbers really really well. So definetly the window is engraved ( The numbers are holed in the window ). I hope im making sense to you buddy.
man in that case i don't think it can be "fixed" at all, seems like it's "etched" into the glass already
Old 09-20-07, 08:00 AM
uae
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by ragjr2
I too have discovered on my L that I have numbers showing through my windshield when the windows fog up. Were you ever able to resolve your problem? If so, how?
Thanks very much for your help.
Thanks
Originally Posted by uae
Not yet buddy
Originally Posted by ragjr2
You may be interested in knowing that my Lexus dealership has had the problem before and they have asked me to bring the car in and they will buff it out of the glass. They say they have done it before and have yet to fail on the removal. According to the dealer it is caused by the shipping labels from the factory. Sometimes they show and sometimes the don't.
Aha. Let me know if there are any updates man i hope the PM are moved to here so everyone else benefits from this issue. Thanx
Old 09-25-07, 11:12 AM
KILLERGS4
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

if you are saying the glass is NOT SMOOTH, use the razor blade to scrap it off (as if you had a sticker on you window). IT IS EXTREMELY UNLIKELY THERE IS SOMETHING ENGRAVED IN YOUR WINSHIELD, EXTREMELY UNLIKEY. Sorry for the all caps... Most likely, when the cars arrived on the boat to the Middle East, the cars were numbered on the windshield, maybe your car, or another car got scraped loading and unloading the car, therefore they had to do some paint work "at the port". THIS DOES HAPPEN (I use to sell lexus), dealer does NOT have to disclose this information. That's why I am saying try using a razor blade to scrape of the overspray on your windshield.. Good luck.
Old 09-25-07, 12:11 PM
zzzzdoc
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Other thoughts:

Use a clay bar, then polish that area of glass. Glass can be polished just like the clear coat of paint can. The abrasives in the polish might get rid of it.

That being said, I'm not sure this approach is safe, considering the UV treatment the window has (most car glass doesn't have this treatment.) Can anyone else chime in as to whether this is worth a shot. I can't imagine that if this was normal glass this couldn't be polished out with a random orbital and fine polish. Does this apply to Lexus windshields.
Old 09-26-07, 03:10 PM
GS430X6
Pole Position

Originally Posted by uae
Im not so sure how that would help

1- As i mentioned the writing is engraved.
2- There is big risk in scratching the window and making it get worse.
3- Maybe you meant another kind of blade ( not the one im showing the picture off )
What in the world are you smoking?

I'd like to buy an ounce what ever it is.
Old 10-11-07, 04:21 AM
zzzzdoc
Lead Lap

Guess what. We finally have passed the spontaneous combustion season down here, so the car defroster is needed in the morning.

On the drivers side of my windshield, when it is being defogged, I see the number 8038. So my car has it too.

I haven't noticed it once the window defogs, but WTF??? Who's stupid enough to systematically damage cars to identify them?

I'll work on claying (already did that when it arrived) the glass, and next maybe glass polish to see if it comes out. Also I'll check to see if I can feel the numbers etched into the glass.

But, mainly, who is dumb enough to do this, and how do we get corporate to stop the practice?

Last edited by zzzzdoc; 10-12-07 at 12:23 PM.
Old 10-11-07, 06:11 AM
uae
Lexus Test Driver

Havent taken any action yet, kept it as it is. Keep us posted if you found a solution.
Old 10-11-07, 07:20 AM
GS430X6
Pole Position

OMG, are you kidding, scrape the crap off using a razer blade you buy from Home Depot and lets get over this already.
Attached Images  
Old 10-11-07, 07:34 AM
zzzzdoc
Lead Lap

Is yours inside or outside the windshield? Cause if it's outside, I'll be nuking the crap out of it.
Old 10-11-07, 09:01 AM
uae
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by zzzzdoc
Is yours inside or outside the windshield? Cause if it's outside, I'll be nuking the crap out of it.
Outside, How will you nuke it ?
Old 10-11-07, 12:17 PM
zzzzdoc
Lead Lap

Tried something this afternoon which I think worked. I won't know for sure until the morning when it fogs up again.

I'll post tomorrow, but I think it's all fixed. Took about 5 minutes.
Old 10-11-07, 03:12 PM
uae
Lexus Test Driver

Keep me posted buddy. Theres another way to make the numbers show , try spilling water on the front glass. " Mines show when i do that also". Anyways let me know if what you did worked or not.
Old 10-12-07, 09:20 AM
zzzzdoc
Lead Lap

OK. Cold front comes through here this morning (relatively speaking), plays with the dew point, and no condensation on the car this morning.

So probably solved the problem, but won't know for a few days.
Old 10-12-07, 11:21 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

time to sleep in the car doc

Quick Reply: LS 460 L front windshield unremovable dust !