LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Programming Features question

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-07, 07:50 AM
garyr
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Programming Features question

I haven't had time to see what I can custom program yet. Has anyone tired this yet.

I want to see if I can turn the power to the cigarette lighters on with the engine off to charge my cell phone.

Also I need to shut the power off to the garage door opener when the engine is off to prevent break ins to my home.

I'm not sure you can even do any of these things.

Thanks in advance for any help if you found out how do this.
Old 09-07-07, 08:55 AM
dfiorito
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by garyr
I haven't had time to see what I can custom program yet. Has anyone tired this yet.

I want to see if I can turn the power to the cigarette lighters on with the engine off to charge my cell phone.

Also I need to shut the power off to the garage door opener when the engine is off to prevent break ins to my home.

-----------------------

I believe if you hit the start button without your foot on the brake once, it turns on the power (not the engine) if you hit the button a second time, it does something else (not the engine). You can then charge your cell, listen to music, etc. all with the engine off. Be careful though, the battery will discharge after awhile. The less you use, the longer it takes. If you are not listening to music and the ac is off, you should be able to charge your cell for a long time.

As far as the garage door opener, maybe you need to take it into the house when you exit the car. I know it is a pain, but these things work by radio frequency. If the sender has a battery, you could remove that. Either way, a pain.
Old 09-07-07, 09:14 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

garage door opener, you mean homelink? if so, there is no way to shut it off when the car is off
Old 09-07-07, 09:57 AM
garyr
Pole Position

Sorry, I thought the "home link" was standard....never had that powered with the engine off before with any other car I've owned. I had that option on 3 other different brand cars. It seems to me a very bad choice on Lexus's part.

I don't always park in the garage, if someone wanted to enter my house just break the door glass of the car and in you go. I may have to install a hidden on/off switch to that feature.

Yeah, I know about the the start switch but that's to much of a power drain to leave on to charge a cell phone. Guess I'm spoiled, I would leave my cell in the BM overnight to charg......

WAIT!..... I just thought of the solution, I'll power the cigarette lighter with the home link power and the cig lighter to the home link. I'll get this car the way I want it yet and I'm sure it will effect my warranty and extended warranty....
Old 09-07-07, 11:42 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

haha that seems like a great solution

i don't know about other brands, but lexus has always have the homelink powered.
Old 09-08-07, 09:47 AM
Barrynsh
Rookie

WAIT!..... I just thought of the solution, I'll power the cigarette lighter with the home link power and the cig lighter to the home link. I'll get this car the way I want it yet and I'm sure it will effect my warranty and extended warranty....
I once had a car that had a live cigarette lighter when the car was entirely shut down. I must have accidently or purposely activated the cigarette lighter and forgot about it. It also stuck in the activated position instead of popping out and it entirely burned up the dash board.

I think it's comforting to think that everything inside the car shuts down after a given time.

In regards to the Home-Link I suppose that someone was thinking that it would be appropriate for you to be able to open the garage before you turn on your motor. Forgetting to do that could cause death, or if one is already brain dead, could prevent you from backing thru the garage door.
Old 09-08-07, 10:55 PM
350Dave
Lead Lap

Why not use the lighter to control your garage door, and charge your cell phone with your garage door. What is so hard to figure out here?
Old 09-09-07, 01:21 PM
Dave Mac
Racer

Received 72 Likes on 64 Posts

I have had the same issue with some cars in the past and always solved it by locating a hot wire and running it (fused) to the lighter that I wanted to be always on for charging etc..

I've never tried to change the power source for a homelink system but that too shouldn't be difficult. What I have done for years is to install a wall switch inside my house - not in the garage - and when I lock up each night or go away for an extended period I turn the power to the opener off. This not only prevents someone from openning the door from my car but any other kind of device they may be using.

Dave Mac