LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

B pillar wear and tear????

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-08, 10:48 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by daryll40
So what is wearing on the "B" pillar? Inside or outside? HUH??
lol, daryl, we are still waiting on pics right?

it seems like the buttom part or so of the b-pillar a lot of people scratch them. i still have no idea coz' mine was still like new before i sold it
Old 04-18-08, 11:00 AM
Mike_TX
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by daryll40
So what is wearing on the "B" pillar? Inside or outside? HUH??
It's the B-pillar trim inside the car where the seat belt rubs on it (from what I can gather). Mine is fine so far, so I can't speak from experience.

Old 04-18-08, 12:21 PM
2007es350
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Been too busy to take a pic and post it. My dealer has confirmed the abnormal wear and will replace with the new parts.

But yes, the wear is occuring at the notched portion of the b-pillar where the seat belt buckle rests when the seat belt is not in use. What has happened is that when the belt retracts, the fabric webbing portion of the belt rubs against the protruding end of the notch.

I am careful getting into and out of the car so I don't trash the seat bolster, and I also don't rub against the b-pillar. Plus my back rest is positioned forward of the b-pillar anway.

Over time no matter how carefully you let go of your seat belt so you don't dent your interior with the buckle, the notched portion of your b-pillar will wear down due to the belt portion rubbing against this section. If you look carefully, it starts with the outer (clear) film of the b-pillar wearing away so that the spot intiially looks cloudy and white. Next, the texture and grain of the b-pillar wears away. My b-pillar is black and it intially looks really bad but then looks better as the top layer is completely worn away. But I still don't expect this to happen at 9 mos and 4,000 miles.
Old 04-18-08, 12:25 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

interesting, thanks for the info. still want to see pics to see exactly what's happening. 9 mos and 4k miles is definitely quite fast. but then again my car with 8k miles had no problem.

good to see lexus is doing something to help fix the problem
Old 04-18-08, 12:36 PM
2007es350
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by rominl
interesting, thanks for the info. still want to see pics to see exactly what's happening. 9 mos and 4k miles is definitely quite fast. but then again my car with 8k miles had no problem.

good to see lexus is doing something to help fix the problem
I think it is less about mileage and more about frequency of getting in and out of your car. I drive my car every day...sometimes multiple trips within the same day.

Yes, it is good that Lexus now has a fix. My local dealer was very embarrassed about this problem and has replaced the b-pillar panel many other cars even before the "fix". I declined the fix of just replacing the panel with the same part...what's the point of doing that because it will only happen again.
Old 04-20-08, 02:59 AM
BUSTN
Instructor

The b pillar portion is leather. With getting in and out, seatbelts etc, causes the leather to get damaged and even tear. I'm 6'4" so my seat is all of the way back. It's covered so they say from Lexus Warranty.
Old 04-20-08, 01:29 PM
2007es350
Lead Lap

Here are some pics. The b-pillar is a soft rubbery synthetic product...don't know what is is called...but it isn't leather.

Earlier today, I took more pics of my car....they can be seen here...https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=350193

You can see near the buckle (where the point protrudes) where the surface texture and grain is worn away. It looks better now that I applied a conditioner to get rid of the white marks. It is also difficult to tell because of the lighting.

Last edited by 2007es350; 04-20-08 at 03:18 PM.
Old 04-20-08, 03:45 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

ic what the problem is then. when i take off my seat belt i always use my left hand to "deliver" it to the original position and let it rest down before i open the door, etc... i guess that's one reason why i never had problem
Old 04-20-08, 03:49 PM
RXSF

Received 73 Likes on 44 Posts

LOL is it just me or is that barely any wear. not sure if it was the miracle conditioner,but its must worse of my car.

picky ls drivers.
Old 04-21-08, 07:22 AM
garyr
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Someone beat me to it, here is my "B" Pillar with the wear marks. This has been replaced once. Looks worse, this was taken by my phone. I'm waiting on the new design. I was reading above the new TSIB may be out. next on my list when I visit the dealer.

Last edited by garyr; 04-21-08 at 07:36 PM.
Old 04-21-08, 07:41 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 225 Likes on 153 Posts

ic what the problem is then. when i take off my seat belt i always use my left hand to "deliver" it to the original position and let it rest down before i open the door, etc... i guess that's one reason why i never had problem
Yes, that's what I always do, I don't just let it go after I undo it.
Old 04-21-08, 08:03 AM
alsilverbullet
Instructor

Received 61 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by garyr
Someone bet me to it, here is my "B" Pillar with the wear marks. This has been replaced once. Looks worse, this was taken by my phone. I'm waiting on the new design. I was reading above the new TSIB may be out. next on my list when I visit the dealer.

Wow that looks pretty bad. As Henry stated I also always guide mine back as well. Glad to hear Lexus is replacing it under warranty
Old 04-21-08, 08:45 AM
garyr
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's not the seat belt that makes those marks........It's the button on my dress slacks. Your backside hits the "B' pillar while getting in, instead of the seat.

The Japanese did not design the car overall for some of us larger American frames.
Old 04-21-08, 09:42 AM
2007es350
Lead Lap

I do guide the seat belt buckle back so that the buckle does not hit the b-pillar. I'm not going to slowly guide the fabric web of the seat belt as it retracts back to make sure it doesn't come in contact the b-pillar.

I never had this problem on my prior car (1998 Accord with 120K miles).
Old 01-14-11, 10:08 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

sorry to bump an old thread but does anyone have pics of the redesigned b pillar trim??

Quick Reply: B pillar wear and tear????