LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

B pillar wear and tear????

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-11, 11:32 AM
OBRon
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'll go see mine and see if it's any different.

OK, just looked and it's very different. The part that sticks out and gets scuffed is just not there. It's hollowed out so there's nothing to catch on anything.

Last edited by OBRon; 01-15-11 at 01:33 PM. Reason: Additions
Old 01-15-11, 01:06 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

what I did like about the original design is the way it kind of extends the arm rest on the door. I dont need it but I am concerned it will look kind of funny afterwards. I also want to make sure that fit and finish of the work will match the factory
Old 01-15-11, 01:28 PM
OBRon
Rookie

Here's how my 2011 LS B-pillar looks:

Old 01-15-11, 11:10 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

Thanks for posting the pic. Thats a big help.
Old 01-22-11, 07:42 AM
Shibumi1
Lexus Champion

Received 86 Likes on 62 Posts

I love lexus..... car is jus outta warranty(2nd owner).. brought car into service, they not only replaced driver b pillar (no charge) they're sending someone to my home on tues to replace the passenger side..also no charge.. an apologized for the problem..
Old 01-22-11, 08:23 AM
g26
Driver School Candidate

Default Replaced twice already...

My original panels were all scuffed up and my dealer replaced them with the new ones (new design) free of charge under the TSB. The NEW panels also began getting all scuffed up (especially the driver one) and they replaced them again. I'm on the third set and there is already signs of wear on them. I try to be extra careful getting in and out of the car but still -- this material needs to be changed to something sturdier. It looks and feels nice, but just does not hold up to normal use.

I am 6'4" and have my seat pretty far back so I think that might be part of the problem too. Still... I've owned many many cars and never had pillar issues. Having to be "extra careful" when getting in and out of a car so as not to scratch the B pillar panel is a little ridiculous.

I am glad Lexus is providing support and replacements -- I'm sure most other companies would not.

Last edited by g26; 01-22-11 at 11:04 AM.
Old 03-08-11, 06:01 PM
sleeper41
Driver School Candidate

Default LS 460 "B" Pillar Upholstery Tears

The "B" pillar wear is apparently a wide spread problem known by Lexus. I have seen photos of the issue and will attempt to post two photos of my 2009 LS 460's problem. I am dealing with Lexus of Tampa Bay, who has been unresponsive. I wrote Lexus and they promised a contact within 3 to 5 days, but no one contacted me. Tonight I wrote a very direct email and within a half hour I received a call back asking me if the problem had been inspected by a dealer. "No". No one asked to inspect it. Will keep you posted on what happens. So far, Customer Service is sadly lacking.
Old 03-08-11, 06:02 PM
sleeper41
Driver School Candidate

I cannot locate a link to upload photos. Where is it?
Old 03-08-11, 06:33 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 189 Likes on 147 Posts

Originally Posted by sleeper41
I cannot locate a link to upload photos. Where is it?
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/pho...-one-post.html

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/pho...tml#post971362
Old 03-08-11, 09:44 PM
VA380
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You are going to have to tell them to keep replacing it. I highly doubt they will "buy back" the car and put in a different vehicle because of it.

I'm on my 3rd set on the drivers side, 2nd on my passenger side ... i'm 6'3 if that matters.
Old 03-09-11, 05:42 AM
rjm
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by sleeper41
I wrote Lexus and they promised a contact within 3 to 5 days, but no one contacted me. Tonight I wrote a very direct email and within a half hour I received a call back asking me if the problem had been inspected by a dealer. "No". No one asked to inspect it. Will keep you posted on what happens. So far, Customer Service is sadly lacking.
My experience with Lexus USA (Corporate) has been LESS than good. After being totally unresponsive to several emails and phone calls with automated responses that they would respond within 24 hours, I never heard from them. Finally after filing an Arbitration claim against Lexus, I received a form letter stating that all warranty issues would have to be settled with my local dealer. The offered ZERO help in getting it resolved. That was the last Lexus I will be buying. I sincerely hope you have better luck with them.
Old 03-09-11, 12:49 PM
highroler
Driver School Candidate

Default Could it be the same issue on a 2009 LS460?

Originally Posted by garyr
Someone beat me to it, here is my "B" Pillar with the wear marks. This has been replaced once. Looks worse, this was taken by my phone. I'm waiting on the new design. I was reading above the new TSIB may be out. next on my list when I visit the dealer.

Has anyone had this same B-pillar damage issue on a 2009 LS460?

I purchased a 2009 LS460 with 4,900 miles 2 months ago...

This past week I had the car into the Lexus dealership for the driver's seat that wont cool and showed him the driver side B-pillar that had these surface like pimples. He said it wasn't a defect...It was a bad repair job on what he quessed was an accidental door closing on the seat belt buckle. But after reading this thread it appears to be the same issue in garyr's post above.
The poorly repaired B-pillar matches the pattern in the picture above.

Thoughts? What would you do if you were me?

I will post pics when I get back in town...
Old 03-10-11, 04:49 PM
highroler
Driver School Candidate

Good news...Lexus called today to let me know they want to replace both left and right B-pillars on our 2009 LS460...sweet!

Plus they plan to take apart the drivers-side seat to see why the AC function is not working correctly...

Hope to report good things next week...including chilled buns ;-)
Old 03-14-11, 03:29 AM
sleeper41
Driver School Candidate

Default LS 460 "B" Pillar Upholstery Tears

UPDATE: The tears are from the metal end of the seat belt, the part that goes into the buckle. It is hard to image how it gets into the 1/2" space with the door closed, but it does. With the door closed, you can barely see the damage. Yes, it is, admittedly, a design flaw and they are working on a replacement. They will replace it for you under warranty. I spoke to Lexus of Tampa Bay (Mike Manzi, Svc Mgr) Thursday (3/10) who told me he would do it right away or I could await his call back after he checked to find out when the redesigned part would be available. I am awaiting for his call. I had to call Lexus' national number to get them to prompt the local dealership, who was apparently stuck in place and didn't know what to do and would not respond.
Old 04-12-11, 06:27 AM
sleeper41
Driver School Candidate

Default More on "B" Pillar wear and promised repairs

I have communicated with Lexus national customer care and they have spoken to Lexus of Tampa Bay (useless) and I am still awaiting a call to come in and have the B pillar upholstery trim parts replaced. The local dealer, despite having the parts sent by Lexus has yet to complete this repair. I call, they promise a call back and don't call. This has happened repeatedly. I just now wrote to the Customer Care requesting they intervene with this terrible dealership. It occurs to me the experience with owning a so-called luxury car is not only the car, but the dealer experience. The dealerships are beautiful, but their people . . . ugh! Like someone who doesn't know they should wear clean shoes with their tuxedo. Just pitiful. And I wait . . . . .

Quick Reply: B pillar wear and tear????