LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Winter Tires On...Too Early

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-07, 08:12 AM
luxury1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Winter Tires On...Too Early

So I brought my car into the dealership yesterday and told them to switch off the summer tires and put on the winter tires since I don't want to go to the dealership again for a while. Since then, someone told me that winter tires wear very quickly in the heat (we are seeing unseasonably warm temperatures in the northeast - 70's and 80's). Do they really wear out that much quicker? Should I drive my other cars until it cools down a bit?
Old 10-03-07, 09:16 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

i never use winter tires for obvious reasons... but that's what people told me as well. unless it snows, etc... don't put on winter tires or they go out very quickly. i don't know (and not sure) why neither. i heard that from more than one person (and they are from vancouver and toronto)
Old 10-03-07, 05:25 PM
Helmar
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The rubber on winter tires is softer than on summer or all-season tires.

They do wear out faster on dry pavement.

I plan on putting snows on my car in December.

HBH
Old 10-03-07, 05:36 PM
Craig B
Pole Position

Received 54 Likes on 38 Posts

That's why I drive my SUV in the bad weather. I leave the LS in the garage...

Craig
Old 10-03-07, 06:34 PM
Nospinzone

Received 423 Likes on 326 Posts

Originally Posted by luxury1
So I brought my car into the dealership yesterday and told them to switch off the summer tires and put on the winter tires since I don't want to go to the dealership again for a while. Since then, someone told me that winter tires wear very quickly in the heat (we are seeing unseasonably warm temperatures in the northeast - 70's and 80's). Do they really wear out that much quicker? Should I drive my other cars until it cools down a bit?

The heat isn't going to be a factor unless you're running 130+ mph laps somewhere. Winter tires will wear faster because of their more aggressive tread and the compounds used to make the tire "sticky" on hard packed snow and ice. It is a tad early for snows, but whatever little extra wear there is on the snows is partially offset by the rubber you're saving on your summer tires!

BTW, I hope you had the snows put on their own wheels. It not only makes the twice yearly changeover faster and cheaper, but it will save your nice summer wheels from all that road salt.
Old 10-03-07, 08:58 PM
Nextourer
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yeah winter tyres wear out faster (and are noisier) on dry pavement. Probably best to wait until it at least starts raining (if you guys have a rainy period) and the temps drop below 50°F for an extended period.
The following users liked this post:
hotwings (12-05-23)
Old 10-04-07, 06:11 AM
luxury1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Nospinzone
The heat isn't going to be a factor unless you're running 130+ mph laps somewhere. Winter tires will wear faster because of their more aggressive tread and the compounds used to make the tire "sticky" on hard packed snow and ice. It is a tad early for snows, but whatever little extra wear there is on the snows is partially offset by the rubber you're saving on your summer tires!

BTW, I hope you had the snows put on their own wheels. It not only makes the twice yearly changeover faster and cheaper, but it will save your nice summer wheels from all that road salt.
Well thanks for all of the advice guys! I do have a dedicated set of snow tires which is much easier!
Old 10-04-07, 05:36 PM
1JZsoarer
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Winter tires will wear out faster, they will make more noise but also an important fact to consider, they will make your gaz consumption decrease greatly.
Old 10-05-07, 08:47 AM
Audriuss
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 1JZsoarer
Winter tires will wear out faster, they will make more noise but also an important fact to consider, they will make your gaz consumption decrease greatly.
Censored. Bad attitude. Moderators will. Sorry, my bad.

Last edited by Audriuss; 11-06-08 at 03:47 AM.
Old 10-05-07, 08:56 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by Audriuss
nonsence! it will actualy increase consumption even just because they make more grip to the surface i worm weahter. It makes a bigger resistance to the road, that causes more engine power and bigger consumptions..
umm, not really. better grip means more power to get it going and easier for the car to slow down, which both makes you need to use more gas to get the car going. though personally i think that's very marginal