LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Happy with your LS460?

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-07, 01:56 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 187 Likes on 145 Posts

Originally Posted by mmorozov
I surely hope the Nav system wasn't designed with this idea in mind I, in fact, use it daily and wherever I go just because of the traffic information and automatic re-routing. Oh, sorry, I forgot that RX doesn't have the traffic info. But it actually serves as a good example here. People that are not bothered with enforced limitations in nav/audio/video simply don't have it, or don't use it. Now if you don't use something, you probably shouldn't have bought the option in the first place. You are only "happy" about it because you don't have the need for it. When you do, you will be hating your car for making you do stupid, unnesessary and unsafe things, like stopping on the freeway or driving 3 miles back to the "nearest" gas station, when there is one 4 miles away on your route.
well, i think his point was, do you enter address EVERY DAY? nav traffic are always there, and you can set re-routing to auto with traffic. those become automatic
Old 10-05-07, 02:06 PM
Helmar
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

3. Why your voice recognition system tries to display some POI category every time it can't understand my command? It looks like some kind of a "catch all" basket for unrecognized commands. I say "Destination", it says "Displaying gas stations. Cannot display more than 5 POIs, blah-blah-blah".
Your comments about the voice recognition system are certainly valid, it's awful. If it was better, it would help mitigate some of the the issues with the lockout.

The voice recognition system on the BMW was excellent.
Originally Posted by Maurice
I regret I traded my '04 LS430 for the '07 LS460.
I know what you mean. Except for the AWD, and the downshift hesitation, I wouldn't mind a bit being back in my '03 LS430... Even with all of the extra gee whiz gadgets ...

HBH
Old 10-05-07, 02:06 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Now that you mentioned POIs

I already have important POI's showing. When I am trying to display another POI category I get an error message - "Only 5 POI categories can be displayed, please delete some POI categories and try again". Here is my rhetorical questions to Lexus:

1. Why couldn't you display 6 POI categories? Or 10? Or ALL, like my Honda Odyssey does? What is the rationale behind this stupid unnecessary limitation?

2. Now if you system truly isn't capable of displaying more than 5 POI categories, why couldn't you make it a little user-friendly by simply deleting the oldest selected POI category and replacing it with the new one? If I am requesting to display a gas station, I want to see a gas station, like, NOW. I don't have the time to drill through the screens and menus and delete some POIs, which by the way isn't possible because of the motion lock-out.

3. Why your voice recognition system tries to display some POI category every time it can't understand my command? It looks like some kind of a "catch all" basket for unrecognized commands. I say "Destination", it says "Displaying gas stations. Cannot display more than 5 POIs, blah-blah-blah".

You call it a "generalization", but you actually prove my point. You don't see limitations because you don't attempt to use certain functions. If you don't use the "Find nearest" command and have all your destinations pre-set, obviously you wouldn't complain about this particular feature.

Respectfully yours.
you can say all you want but that's still just how YOU use YOUR system and how YOU feel about it. i can see that you try to use all the features while moving. why, that's beyond me, but for sure when i drive i would only want to focus on what's in front of me rather than what's on the screen. and please do make sure you don't stay behind me neither

i mean, i am not agreeing or denying any of your complains. you have them, that's fine. you think the system is an insult to you, by all means sell the car and drive the odyssey all day long. no one is stopping you from doing that.

but please don't generalize it and make it sound like everyone has to agree with you. it's YOUR subjective comments (well, share that with LL), while i am sure a lot of us respect you here, we don't have to agree with you.

plus, after turning a really big circle, from what i see, you are complaining and complaing about just the nav system. i don't know about you, but i hardly consider that majority portion of my car. there are so much more stuff on the odyssey that i even hate for that matter (bring quality on the table).

if nav system is of such great importance to you, then i have nothing to say. bottom line, there are a lot of goods and bads about every car, every single damn car out there. you can spend all day listing pros and cons for them. it ultimately is the buyers' decision to see the overall score which car is the best for them. in your case, honestly, sorry but i think you bought the wrong car. with that many complains (whether it's important to the rest of us is irrelevant), please do trade that in for a car that you think is better and worth more for the money. don't restrict yourself here and continue to let lexus insults you
Old 10-05-07, 02:08 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by Maurice
My answer is no.

I have owned Lexus cars (mostly LS) since 1992.
While as some said, the LS460 is a marvel of technology, I have the wind noise problem, and I cannot stand it. The fix is a patch - not a fix.
There is much to like in the car - but the wind noise is for real at least in my car, no matter what spin Lexus tries to give it.

I regret I traded my '04 LS430 for the '07 LS460.

There are other minor issues that have required dealer visits - something my previous Lexus cards did not.
really sorry to hear your problem on the ls460, seems like the swb is giving you a lot of problems. just to be fair i heard problems on the 04 ls430 (first yr faceleft) as well, so i can feel your pain
Old 10-05-07, 02:34 PM
mmorozov
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

>in your case, honestly, sorry but i think you bought the wrong car

You are so wrong! I didn't buy the wrong car. I leased it. Which means I am stuck with this [expletive deleted] for another 4 years. So forgive me for venting my dissatisfaction here. But where else would I go?

Besides, I never said I am speaking for everybody. I just see a healthy part of this community having the same issues that I do. Yes, I am a computer geek and I want to use every piece of technology I paid for. A quick glance at the screen doesn't distract me. I am looking at the screens all day long. It's not like I want to read a book off of that screen. I just want to see the name of the song playing on the radio. Is it too much to ask?

And believe me, when you start using things like in-route re-routing, going to "nearerst" places, and selecting from dozens of albums loaded to the HDD you will be angry too.

I don't complain much about other things, like wind noise and vibration, simply because it is clearly an unintentional design flaw, that Lexus is trying hard to fix. The motion lock-out, on the other hand is an intentional and intelligent decision that most people hate and I feel like ranting about it all I want The more people are aware of it, the better. Maybe Lexus will hear it at some point.
Old 10-05-07, 02:57 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

a bit OT, but i am sure you can give swapalease, etc... a try? a lot of people do that. you will take a hit, but that's just like if i bought and now sell the car

it could be a painful 4 yrs for you
Old 10-05-07, 03:08 PM
mmorozov
Driver

About wind noise:

According to my VIN, the car shouldn't have the wind noise. And it doesn't most of the time. But under certain conditions I do hear a prominent whistle. According to TSIB, the only "fix" is to install laminated windows, which I am not going to do since I already tinted the car.

But what's funny is how dealers try to downplay the issue. This is a real conversation:

-I have a question about the wind noise?
--Wind noise? Never heard about it.
-Sure you have. I didn't even ask if you've heard about it and you are already answering.
--Well, I've heard some people talking about the wind noise in their cars, but I've never heard about this being a Lexus issue.
-What would you say about this TSIB then? (showing him a printout, the guy gets angry)
--You can't expect me to fix all issues for which TSIBs exist. You can only describe the problem you are having, we will try to confirm it and then we will find a solution.
-This is exactly what I am trying to explain. There is a whistling noise that I hear under certain conditions.
--This is normal. See, Lexus has made the cars so exceptionally quiet, you can literally hear the car cutting through the air. If you drive any other car, the road noise is louder than the wind noise.
-Trading one noise for another seems pointless. Actually another thing I wanted to mention is the road noise and vibration.
--This also normal. See, in this luxury segment, Lexus wants to give the drivers the real road feel. Again, the car is so quiet, you can even hear the wheels grabbing the road.
-It might be just me. I guess I expected from this car a little more than I expected from Mazda MPV. Just to rule out the driver factor, can we take another LS460 for a spin together and see if it feels any different?
--We don't like to put miles on those cars.
-What about a test drive?
--It is only for the new customers. Only if you wanted to buy it.
-It's less than 1 mile around this block.
--One mile today, one mile tomorrow it all adds up to 150 miles before you know it.

At this point I just turned around and walked away. On the bright side, I am driving the ES350 loaner right now and even though it is not as insulated, the road feel is much better. On the LS the suspension is just too busy. I guess I'll need to go to a different dealership and pretend I want to buy an LS, so I can drive it. BTW, this is exactly what this dealer suggested as I walked away from him
Old 10-05-07, 03:45 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

that's exactly the kind of dealership we should all avoid. that service adviser sounds like a complete idiot. thank god i have never been treated that way otherwise the adviser is going to hear a lot from me
Old 10-05-07, 04:46 PM
mmorozov
Driver

Originally Posted by rominl
well, i think his point was, do you enter address EVERY DAY?
I don't ENTER it every day. But I select it from the list of recent addresses every day and this list is also disabled. In theory, I can prepare beforehand by moving those recent places to the 6 memory points that are always available. But my list of recent places changes almost every week. They really belong in the "Previous places" list and nowhere else. I can't even use voice to select the recent places. It wouldn't show me the list.

I actually bought this car partially because of the navigation features, such as traffic, multiple route suggestions and other geeky things. I knew about the motion lock out, I just didn't realize it would be crippled as much.

What's interesting, is that I began liking red lights. I actually love red lights now and anxiously wait for the opportunity to stop
Old 10-05-07, 06:01 PM
garyr
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You asked if I'm happy with my 07 460il Touring, I don't know. More about this car bothers me than I like like about the car. All the complaints above are true and aggravating as hell. Lexus advertises the pursuit of perfection, it skipped over this car....

It's not worth the 83-k I paid for it.

I do like the looks compared to whats on the market in it's class and the stereo is is killer for a stock car. The rest of the car IMO does not match up to others in it's class.
Old 10-05-07, 10:35 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by garyr
You asked if I'm happy with my 07 460il Touring, I don't know. More about this car bothers me than I like like about the car. All the complaints above are true and aggravating as hell. Lexus advertises the pursuit of perfection, it skipped over this car....

It's not worth the 83-k I paid for it.

I do like the looks compared to whats on the market in it's class and the stereo is is killer for a stock car. The rest of the car IMO does not match up to others in it's class.
nah, it skipped the rest of the lineup too coz' the ls is already best in the lexus lineup
Old 10-06-07, 12:24 AM
mmorozov
Driver

Perfection-shmerfection. It's just a marketing catch-phrase. The very definition of the perfect car changes every year.

I have a perfect car - 1996 Infinity Q45. After 10 years of ownership and 200K miles - zero complaints. Just pure love and affection. I still drive it from time to time. Maybe I will learn to love the LS460 some day. But never the same way. With Q45 it was love at first sight

I wonder, why Lexus wouldn't put a nice-looking analog clock on the dashboard instead of that ugly Casio piece?
Old 10-06-07, 12:38 AM
mmorozov
Driver

it could be a painful 4 yrs for you
It's not going to be too painful. It's not much worse than driving Honda Civic after all The wire-cutting hack is available and endorsed by the dealership. I am just waiting, maybe someone will find the software override.
Old 10-06-07, 07:13 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Perfection-shmerfection. It's just a marketing catch-phrase. The very definition of the perfect car changes every year.

I have a perfect car - 1996 Infinity Q45. After 10 years of ownership and 200K miles - zero complaints. Just pure love and affection. I still drive it from time to time. Maybe I will learn to love the LS460 some day. But never the same way. With Q45 it was love at first sight

I wonder, why Lexus wouldn't put a nice-looking analog clock on the dashboard instead of that ugly Casio piece?
lol, in my case, thank god there is no analog clock. that's what triggered my wife to say NO to ALL infiniti.
Old 10-06-07, 08:01 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 218 Likes on 146 Posts

lol, in my case, thank god there is no analog clock. that's what triggered my wife to say NO to ALL infiniti.
& the S550 too? While I have grown to like the new S-class more, that analog clock with the chrome vents on the middle of the dash is still an eyesore.

Quick Reply: Happy with your LS460?