LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

NAV Question

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-07, 04:24 PM
daryll40
Pole Position

Received 418 Likes on 285 Posts
Default NAV Question

OK, I am getting to understand the NAV by playing with it, from use of my NAV in my old LS430 and from reading the manual.

I cannot find a function that EASILY and CLEARLY lists the routes like my TomTom does. I want to know if I am missing a function that will list it like this (or close to this):

1. Turn right on Elm Street (2 miles)
2. Turn left on Oak Street (.7 miles)
3. Turn right onto Interstate 80 (10 miles)
4. Exit at Exit 45, "Boulevard Drive"
5. Arrive at your destination

Also, TomTom allows me to touch one of the lines, above, to be EXCLUDED and re-routed around. Anything that easy, simple and USEFUL with the LS460NAV?

Also, I noticed that I cannot transfer a call from the Bluetooth back to the phone while in motion. Right? Or is there a way? If my mistress calls while my wife is in the car, I'll wanna transfer the call quickly
Old 10-15-07, 04:37 PM
SC400MAN
Pit Crew

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Once you have set your destination, go to the Map View button, and then choose the Rute Overview button on the next pop up. This gives a list of the turns. I'm not sure there is a way to exclude one particular road. You can block off "Expressways" or "Toll Roads" in general. There is also an "areas to avoid" choice, but I'm not sure whether that would do what you wanted.

On the Bluetooth issue, during the call, you have a button on the nav scren on the right side that says "Transfer Cal". To use this, when your mistress calls, open your phone so that it is active and hiut the Transfer Call button. This moves the call back to your phone, out of the dar, for that call only.
Old 10-15-07, 04:55 PM
daryll40
Pole Position

AH! YES! Thank you for that. I see that those two do work as you said.

My divorce lawyer, however is sad about this feature.
Old 10-15-07, 05:15 PM
Duonguyen
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The car without navigator always get to the destination faster than if I follow the voice of the lady in the car,please advise how so,that way I can feel better of my money not wasted.A big chunk of money for the option,still have some doubt of its usefulness.
Old 10-15-07, 05:57 PM
Patric
Pole Position

Navigation usually shows the shortest route even if it has many stop signs which in some cases would not equate to being the fastest route compared to a longer one without stop signs.

Pat
Old 10-15-07, 06:03 PM
Nospinzone

Received 418 Likes on 322 Posts

When I enter a destination it always gives me 3 possible routes with the distance and approximate driving time. I can then choose whichever route I prefer.
Old 10-15-07, 06:29 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by Duonguyen
The car without navigator always get to the destination faster than if I follow the voice of the lady in the car,please advise how so,that way I can feel better of my money not wasted.A big chunk of money for the option,still have some doubt of its usefulness.
without a nav you can't even get to a place you don't know where it is... that's the main purpose

and with the nav traffic on ls460, if data are available, it helps you avoid traffic. works very well
Old 10-16-07, 08:37 AM
daryll40
Pole Position

Originally Posted by SC400MAN
Once you have set your destination, go to the Map View button, and then choose the Rute Overview button on the next pop up. This gives a list of the turns. I'm not sure there is a way to exclude one particular road. You can block off "Expressways" or "Toll Roads" in general. There is also an "areas to avoid" choice, but I'm not sure whether that would do what you wanted.

On the Bluetooth issue, during the call, you have a button on the nav scren on the right side that says "Transfer Cal". To use this, when your mistress calls, open your phone so that it is active and hiut the Transfer Call button. This moves the call back to your phone, out of the dar, for that call only.

I found out today that when the car is in motion, you cannot bounce the mistress call back to the (more private) handset. You have to be stopped for the "transfer call" button to be activate-able. My wife's divorce lawyer is gonna LOVE that.
Old 10-16-07, 08:57 AM
allisonb1013
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by daryll40
I found out today that when the car is in motion, you cannot bounce the mistress call back to the (more private) handset. You have to be stopped for the "transfer call" button to be activate-able. My wife's divorce lawyer is gonna LOVE that.
You have to push a button on your actual phone. Every cell phone is slightly different, so you'll have to figure yours out. Transferring back and forth from the bluetooth is a function of the phone, not the bluetooth transmitter. It's very easy.
Old 10-16-07, 09:55 AM
zzzzdoc
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by rominl
and with the nav traffic on ls460, if data are available, it helps you avoid traffic. works very well

But in the OC, isn't traffic everywhere? So does the car just stop and give up when you use the NAV?
Old 10-16-07, 10:39 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by zzzzdoc
But in the OC, isn't traffic everywhere? So does the car just stop and give up when you use the NAV?
lol, it actually gives out smoke and some burning smell

seriously, it will actually tells you to go get on local street and go through the traffic. i tried, it actually helps quite a bit seeing myself moving along side the freeway when cars are stopped on the freeway
Old 10-16-07, 11:14 AM
daryll40
Pole Position

Originally Posted by allisonb1013
You have to push a button on your actual phone. Every cell phone is slightly different, so you'll have to figure yours out. Transferring back and forth from the bluetooth is a function of the phone, not the bluetooth transmitter. It's very easy.

Well, I'll try that, but it doesn't seem what you are saying is right. Because when the car is NOT in motion, the "transfer call" option becomes available. But locks out when in motion. So it's a LEXUS function really, NOT a cell phone function.
Old 10-16-07, 11:15 AM
daryll40
Pole Position

Originally Posted by rominl
lol, it actually gives out smoke and some burning smell

seriously, it will actually tells you to go get on local street and go through the traffic. i tried, it actually helps quite a bit seeing myself moving along side the freeway when cars are stopped on the freeway
How much extra (beyond the radio XM) does the XM Traffic cost?
Old 10-16-07, 11:28 AM
GRAND_LS 4
3UZ-FEEEE

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by daryll40
Well, I'll try that, but it doesn't seem what you are saying is right. Because when the car is NOT in motion, the "transfer call" option becomes available. But locks out when in motion. So it's a LEXUS function really, NOT a cell phone function.
Actually, it has nothing to do with Lexus. Your phone treats your car as a headset... and the phoen is always the source... my phone gives me the choice to switch to the private handset anytime im connected via bluetooth, whether its in the car, or my ear headset.

So ignour the transfer button altogether... it just saves you from having to pull out ur phone which your gonna do anyhow if you want to handle a private call.
Old 10-16-07, 11:45 AM
daryll40
Pole Position

I see your point, but that button is handy. I can hit it before the passenger really figures out what is going on. I was of course only kidding about the mistress, but there ARE times (particularly with my kids in the car) where I want to quickly transfer the call. Lexus DOES allow that "quick push-n-transfer" as long as the car is stopped. But it won't while moving. THAT is what I am trying to get confirmed (or maybe there is a way to have that button work while moving too????)

But yes I am sure the phone itself has some sort of transfer button and that will be my next job to figure out. I'll bet it requires two or three different maneuvers...much more unsafe than pushing "transfer call" while in motion!

Quick Reply: NAV Question