LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Nav Lockout - A deal breaker

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-07, 03:47 PM
Johnny
Pole Position

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by spnj
If you are technically saavy then you will hate this car as I do.
Does Mechanical Engineer (Gear Design) qualify? Feeling as strong as you do, I cannot help but think that your original purchase decision must have been made with a great deal of trepidation. In which case, you obviously moved too quickly. Given this circumstance, you best option is to trade for some other vehicle that was probably in your sights in the first place, while there is still a lot of value in your car. That would be the logical conclusion were I faced with your dilemma...
Old 10-21-07, 08:27 AM
luxury1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The lockouts are so annoying that I may trade the car in for an MB 550 or a 7 series. You are paying a premium for electronics that only work in the driveway. If you are technically saavy then you will hate this car as I do.
If you are going to trade for the 7 you should wait until the F01 is out as it is just around the corner.
Old 10-21-07, 10:25 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,419 Likes on 1,584 Posts

Originally Posted by luxury1
If you are going to trade for the 7 you should wait until the F01 is out as it is just around the corner.
And then wait a year after it's out.
Old 10-21-07, 02:34 PM
EyeKutr
Pole Position

Received 39 Likes on 25 Posts

I am with the original poster al the way, I am surprised the LS folks dont have the work around for this like the GS guys do. I tore apart my dash (real easy) and did a wire mod to allow the phone dial pad and Nav input while driving, I can even watch a DVD in the ML / DVD changer. I dont but when I have my 3 year old, she can watch it while I drive....damn WIggles LOL
Old 10-21-07, 03:48 PM
Johnny
Pole Position

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

All the power to you... However, Lexus knows this and has put in more impediments in the LS.
Old 10-21-07, 05:59 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by EyeKutr
I am with the original poster al the way, I am surprised the LS folks dont have the work around for this like the GS guys do. I tore apart my dash (real easy) and did a wire mod to allow the phone dial pad and Nav input while driving, I can even watch a DVD in the ML / DVD changer. I dont but when I have my 3 year old, she can watch it while I drive....damn WIggles LOL
blkis350 can probably say more about this, but i talked to someone else and the system is a bit more complicated coz' the ls460 has an electronically controlled foot brake system (which is required to play dvd)
Old 10-22-07, 06:26 AM
spnj
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by rominl
well, seems like you didn't check out the car completely before you paid the big cash.

or you can just do the override
It is not possible in a 10 min test drive to fully appreciate the limitations. The Dealership, sales and service, did not even know that the CD and HDD are greyed out when the car moves. I took my salesman for a ride 2days after I took delivery and he said "oh that sucks". I was the first to even show it to them.
Old 10-22-07, 06:53 AM
daryll40
Pole Position

Received 420 Likes on 286 Posts

I doubt it. They were probably just playing dumb.
Old 10-22-07, 07:09 AM
Nospinzone

Received 420 Likes on 324 Posts

They were probably just playing dumb.

I wouldn't be so sure he was playing!

I've seen sales people who were totally clueless about the product they were selling.
Old 10-22-07, 07:14 AM
sdbrandon
Lead Lap

Touch screens are unsafe when moving. Live with it. Is it really that big a deal to pull over to enter a destination? Or do it at a stop light?
Old 10-22-07, 07:40 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

IMO i do not want anyone driving a vehicle near me screwing with a Nav system, cell phone, etc

The lockouts are so annoying that I may trade the car in for an MB 550 or a 7 series. You are paying a premium for electronics that only work in the driveway. If you are technically saavy then you will hate this car as I do.
if you made this big of a deal on a nav lockout, i cant imagine what will happen when you say hello to iDrive/COMAND
Old 10-22-07, 07:44 AM
daryll40
Pole Position

Received 420 Likes on 286 Posts

Originally Posted by 4TehNguyen
IMO i do not want anyone driving a vehicle near me screwing with a Nav system, cell phone, etc

if you thought nav lockouts were bad say hello to iDrive

I don't want people driving near me with those distractions either. But that is the way of the world. And while the NAV lockout doesn't bother me at all (by using speed dial etc I can work around it fine), I can understand why someone might prefer the competition that does not play nanny.
Old 10-22-07, 10:57 AM
mmorozov
Driver

Originally Posted by sdbrandon
Touch screens are unsafe when moving. Live with it. Is it really that big a deal to pull over to enter a destination? Or do it at a stop light?
I don't know where you live, but in my parts 90% of the driving is on freeways. There are no traffic lights and it is very unsafe to stop on the shoulder, not to mention that some people were already ticketed for it. Taking an exit just to change the destination is quite inconveniet.

I have a Garmin unit on my other car and I have no problems using it without taking my eyes off the road for more than a quick glance. If I look at the screen for longer than a second I feel very uncomortable. I assume that there are some people that simply don't feel the danger of blind driving and this motion lock-out will probably save their asses.
Old 10-22-07, 12:23 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

now that's a rare ls460
Old 10-22-07, 01:11 PM
mmorozov
Driver

So this is what it looks like without the nav screen! Can you get it with ML?

Quick Reply: Nav Lockout - A deal breaker