LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Nav Lockout - A deal breaker

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-07, 03:54 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

i doubt. ML system has dvd playback, it would be silly to have ML system but no nav.

the other way exist though, nav without ML
Old 10-23-07, 10:05 AM
sdbrandon
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mmorozov
I don't know where you live, but in my parts 90% of the driving is on freeways. There are no traffic lights and it is very unsafe to stop on the shoulder, not to mention that some people were already ticketed for it. Taking an exit just to change the destination is quite inconveniet.

I have a Garmin unit on my other car and I have no problems using it without taking my eyes off the road for more than a quick glance. If I look at the screen for longer than a second I feel very uncomortable. I assume that there are some people that simply don't feel the danger of blind driving and this motion lock-out will probably save their asses.
I guess I am the only one that enters a destination before leaving my current location. Do all you folks not know where you are going until you are on the road. How do you even know you have to go somehwhere?
Old 10-23-07, 10:16 AM
GS3Tek

Received 165 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by sdbrandon
I guess I am the only one that enters a destination before leaving my current location. Do all you folks not know where you are going until you are on the road. How do you even know you have to go somehwhere?
Of course I input the destination ahead of time when I plan on being at that place.
But there are instances where you change your mind or something comes up at the last minute and have to go elsewhere

And how long is a stop light?

I sure don't want any incompetent person fumbling with the nav anyways.

The nav lockout doesn't bother me anyways, but at the very least to enable it when a front passenger is sitting there. They can do the input while I drive.
Old 10-23-07, 11:09 AM
KILLERGS4
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

it's probably in the work now.. a lockpick for the 08LS460... LS460 is so far superior to the E-class and 550i, this should be a very easy choice... now if your're compare the 750li and S550, that's a different story...
Old 10-23-07, 11:27 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by KILLERGS4
it's probably in the work now.. a lockpick for the 08LS460... LS460 is so far superior to the E-class and 550i, this should be a very easy choice... now if your're compare the 750li and S550, that's a different story...
well we know there is an override module for the car already
Old 10-23-07, 02:29 PM
mmorozov
Driver

Originally Posted by sdbrandon
Do all you folks not know where you are going until you are on the road. How do you even know you have to go somehwhere?
If you simpy drive your car to work every day you don't need the nav. But I would think, people buying a 70K toy don't drive to work daily Some people buy this car for leisure, which means driving to unknown places AND changing their route along the way. It is not just the destination that you need to enter. Gas stations, restaurants, stores and other POIs need to be accessible on the road. Here is a couple of reasonable scenarios that don't work in the LS460 because of the lockout:

1. Find the next gas station on the route
2. Find the next major gas station that accepts credit cards (some don't)
3. See a list of restaurants in the city ahead without exiting the freeway
4. Find a nearest XXXXX store because your wife just called you and asked to buy a YYYYY.
5. Get a list of the hotels in the destination city and call them one by one for reservations while driving.
6. See a list of albums in the HDD instead of scrolling through it one album at a time (which is more dangerous)

Basically it is not the lock-out that bothers me the most. It is the inability to see a simple list and choose from that list. IMHO it is unreasonably restrictive to the point of total uselessness.

I don't mind saying "Find nearest gas station", but I want to see a list of stations with distance and direction. It is a single glance and a single tap on the screen. It is no less safe than looking for a radio station or scrolling the map, trying to find the gas stations via the POI icons.

Good thing we have an override solution now. But I would not buy another Lexus simply because I was treated like an idiot. Cars of this caliber aren't just rides. They have to be loved, not hated. And some people love LS460 for other things and don't mind having a crippled nav.
Old 10-23-07, 03:04 PM
Nospinzone

Received 420 Likes on 324 Posts

Some people buy this car for leisure....

Yup, that's me, but because of that, I don't have to care where I'm going, the route I'm taking, nor the time I get there!

What I don't get is this preoccupation with finding the nearest gas station. I mean don't get me wrong, its not that I've never been desperately low on gas, but that's a very rare circumstance, not a regular one.
Old 10-23-07, 04:35 PM
daryll40
Pole Position

Received 420 Likes on 286 Posts

I pretty much fit into the leisure category as well. In fact, my 4 year old LS430 never was more than 150 miles away from my home! Ever! We take my wife's (now) 5 year old Mountaineer (Explorer) when we do any longer trips. Truth be told I could easily get by with a car costing 1/3 for "around town" as I use my LS. I guess I questioned Helmar spending $120,000 (give or take) for the 600 yet someone driving a Corolla could make the same observation about me driving an LS460!
Old 10-23-07, 05:04 PM
mmorozov
Driver

>I mean don't get me wrong, its not that I've never been desperately low on
>gas, but that's a very rare circumstance, not a regular one.

I never fill up mid-tank. When the light comes up I use the nav to find the nearest major gas station and go there. When I travel the need comes up every time I need to fill the tank.
Old 10-23-07, 07:04 PM
Nospinzone

Received 420 Likes on 324 Posts

Oh MM, my comment was directed at you. I've seen the reference to the "nearest gas station" several times in this forum. Like you I run my tank low (my wife panics if hers dips much below 3/4).

I've had the warning come on once on my LS and I still had at least 50 miles worth of gas left. Unless you're really in the boondocks, that will get you to a gas station easily, even without nav..
Old 10-24-07, 01:39 AM
mmorozov
Driver

Originally Posted by Nospinzone
Unless you're really in the boondocks, that will get you to a gas station easily, even without nav..
Wouldn't you rather USE the nav you paid for, instead of doing without it?

Yes, I can find gas stations without the nav, I can parallel-park myself, I can listen to the music in my high-quality headphones and I can get caller ID from my phone screen. But if I do all that myself, why did I pay the extra 10K in additonal features and packages?

I've had cars with GPS and handheld GPS units for quite a while and I always used them the way I wanted. I don't appreciate limitations. Guess I am not the "Lexus kind of a driver"
Old 10-29-07, 12:05 PM
mmorozov
Driver

A friend of mine leased LS460 a week ago. He said he loves the car so far. There is no wind noise or other issues, but he only drove it for 500 miles. Non-ML sound is so-so.

The motion lock is something he would even pay a monthly fee to get rid of. Interesting idea When I said there is a hack that costs $299, he said that money is no object when it comes to personal freedom