LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Nav Lockout - A deal breaker

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-07, 06:06 PM
avidude
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Nav Lockout - A deal breaker

I was about ready to pull the trigger on an 08 LS460, until, on a long test drive yesterday I realized that many of the nav features do not work while the car is moving. After grilling the salesperson, there are some phone and stereo features that is locked out too. This is absolutely crazy. No issues like this on my current E Class or the BMW 550i which is my second choice car.

I know this has been debated on this site already, but I'm wondering if anyone has found a work around for this??? I really don't care what is involved - a software hack or cutting the wire to the speed sensor or something.

Its unfortunate. Other than this issue, which is minor for some but major for me, the car is perfect. If I can't find someone who has found a solution and can document it for us, then I will move on to another car. Lexus - Please pay attention!

Can anyone out there help???
Old 10-18-07, 06:09 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

someone claims they found a way (or their shop) to override it, but it has to "rest" every 30 secs or so, which i think is a bit silly coz' your screen freezes every now and then.

hopefully very soon there could be something nicer or better alternative coming out -- very soon....
Old 10-18-07, 07:24 PM
encore888
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Yeah there are some unofficial workarounds, but question is which features you want to have...
Old 10-18-07, 08:03 PM
Luxofreak
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I have a bunch of speed dials programmed and that solves the problem for me. This whole lockout thing is nothing compared to how good this car is. I really don't care.
Old 10-18-07, 10:16 PM
Johnny
Pole Position

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by avidude
I was about ready to pull the trigger on an 08 LS460, until, on a long test drive yesterday I realized that many of the nav features do not work while the car is moving. After grilling the salesperson, there are some phone and stereo features that is locked out too. This is absolutely crazy. No issues like this on my current E Class or the BMW 550i which is my second choice car.

I know this has been debated on this site already, but I'm wondering if anyone has found a work around for this??? I really don't care what is involved - a software hack or cutting the wire to the speed sensor or something.

Its unfortunate. Other than this issue, which is minor for some but major for me, the car is perfect. If I can't find someone who has found a solution and can document it for us, then I will move on to another car. Lexus - Please pay attention!

Lexus sells 3,000 of these puppies per month. I don't think they're going to alter their legal strategy for any "one". Compared to last year's sluggish sales for the previous gen, and compared to the current MB & BMW equivalents, Lexus' numbers are in the stratosphere. Yes, an aftermarket solution to work around this issue will come along if it hasn't already. I'm certainly not losing any sleep over it, as my driving is mostly in-town, and any occasional jaunts are served quite well with the status quo.
Old 10-18-07, 10:34 PM
Nospinzone

Received 420 Likes on 324 Posts

Buy the LS. After a few days you'll learn to plan ahead for some functions you can't use while the car is in motion, and for those you can't ............. well the car so good, you won't even care!
Old 10-19-07, 02:52 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=313365

any reason not to get the car?
Old 10-19-07, 04:07 AM
daryll40
Pole Position

Received 420 Likes on 286 Posts

Originally Posted by Luxofreak
I have a bunch of speed dials programmed and that solves the problem for me. This whole lockout thing is nothing compared to how good this car is. I really don't care.

Exactly. I agree with the above comment 110%
Old 10-19-07, 04:56 AM
LexusLean
Driver School Candidate

Default Think about it carefully

While there are many good things about the vehicle, including probably the smoothest and most powerful ride you can get, I, for one, never get over the trade-offs dealing with the lockouts.

Many don't care about not being able to look at and select from album and track lists, not being able to select from a list of points of interest, not being able to even dial the number of a selected point of interest while moving with one button push, even though it is directly tied into the protocol of the system.

It disturbs me everyday. So much so, I bought a Garmin Mobile 10 suite for my Treo, which sadly, is the only reasonable work-around, since there'll never be a Lexus released override.

I'm always surprised that so many don't care. I guess I'm a tech nut that loves the Acura/Honda system, but don't like the actual driving dynamics of those vehicles. If only we could retrofit the Honda/Acura cutting edge trust the consumer culture into the Toyota Motor Co. USA conservative nanny mindset...
Old 10-19-07, 05:43 AM
daryll40
Pole Position

Received 420 Likes on 286 Posts

Actually, if it wasn't for the resale issue, I'd order a car without NAV altogether. I prefer my TomTom. And over the 3-4 years that I keep a car, the technology gallops along. But trying to sell a luxury car without NAV is sort of like trying to sell a car without air-conditioning...it severly limits the market and price fetched. Probably a loss greater than the savings upfront by not getting the option.
Old 10-19-07, 06:54 AM
luxury1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The easiest workaround is using the voice feature. You can enter an address while moving using the voice fuction... "Say a command"!

I used to have the E (2004) and let me tell you that this car squashes it. The Nav alone is 10 times better.
Old 10-19-07, 10:39 PM
Rocman
Pole Position

I get around it by not driving it. I let my wife deal with it.

When I do drive it, I never use the nav anyway. I know where I am going, and I never stop and ask for directions. Maybe that's why I am always late.
Old 10-20-07, 09:59 AM
spnj
Driver School Candidate

The lockouts are so annoying that I may trade the car in for an MB 550 or a 7 series. You are paying a premium for electronics that only work in the driveway. If you are technically saavy then you will hate this car as I do.
Old 10-20-07, 10:23 AM
Rocman
Pole Position

Originally Posted by spnj
The lockouts are so annoying that I may trade the car in for an MB 550 or a 7 series. You are paying a premium for electronics that only work in the driveway. If you are technically saavy then you will hate this car as I do.
Hate is a strong word. Perhaps you should rub your ears. Say it with me, woosaa, woosaa.
Old 10-20-07, 01:27 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by spnj
well, seems like you didn't check out the car completely before you paid the big cash.

or you can just do the override

Quick Reply: Nav Lockout - A deal breaker