LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

nav, phone, and dvd playback at my finger tip (slightly 56k aware)

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-08, 01:38 PM
lfalkens
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Las Vegas Install

I am looking for someone in vegas to install the unit?
Old 04-17-08, 02:07 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by lfalkens
I am looking for someone in vegas to install the unit?
day trip to LA?
Old 04-19-08, 04:38 AM
gkw
Rookie

Default Boston installer

Another happpy customer here! I just had mine installed by Rayco Electronics in Shrewsbury.

We took a 350 mile trip yesterday and it worked great, both for navigation and video.

Thanks!

GW
Old 04-19-08, 05:01 AM
clemgrad85
Pole Position

Received 16 Likes on 6 Posts

Well....my install didn't go quite as well. Actually, the override part works as advertised, but I think there may have been an installer error as the GPS system does not seem to be on, which means either the antenna was likely not hooked back up correctly, or I have a bad unit. Before I have the installer go back in and check his work, I'm having a new unit sent to me so that in case it is a malfunction with the override unit, the installer can immediately put the new one in. If it is a unit problem, I will obviously have to be paying addional money to the guy each time he opens up the interior, so might as well keep my losses as low as possible and have a new unit on hand just in case. If it was the installer's error, then he'll fix it for no charge, and I'll just have to pay for the shipping on the additional unit.

Henry has given some great advice, so thanks to Henry. And also Mark at Prestigious Society has been extremely helpful with both emails and phone calls to make sure I was a happy customer. Mark has seen this problem in 2 other cases (no GPS signal after the install), but he feels that if everything else is working correctly, it is likely an installer error. Grrrrrrrrrr, just my luck.

The same installer did do a very good job on my SRX radar detector, so at least I'm not driving out there "naked" to police radar any more. That was a bit more challenging than he thought as there isn't as much room in the front grill as was on my GS300, so he had to get creative (mainly just moving the horn location I think) and make some brackets for the front mounted laser transreceivers. So, almost have my 460 where I want it!
Old 04-19-08, 08:51 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

glad to know you like it, gkw

clem, hopefully everythig works out fine! keep me posted if i can help
Old 04-19-08, 08:53 AM
Luxofreak
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by chopperpl
hahahaa...
Is this that simple ...
I though you have to extract the binary first then use special program to start reverse engineering process, locate all related lines of code, and comment them out ensuring none of other functions need it, recompile.... and put it back on dvd.... oh, did I mention cracking the checksum?
I meant... here's the skyscraper, and now make a blueprint from it....
Well yeah, you have to extract the binary first. But after that what you called reverse engineering would be easier if done in assembly language (like Borland's Turbo Assembler), not C++ or any other high level language. But I agree, the checksum will be a challenge if it really exists. In assembler the amount of instructions is HUGE so it would be a daunting task for sure but not impossible. If I knew how to pull a copy of the software out of the car I would give it a try. I used to play with x86 assembly language when I was a teen and since then nothing changed much when it comes to the set of instructions... it's all MOV, PUSH, POP, etc... - that refers to moving bits in and out of the main processor...
Old 04-19-08, 12:15 PM
lambo1125
Driver School Candidate

Jus got mine done this morning. Thanks to Mark for hooking me up with Henry to do the install. Very prefesional job.
Old 04-19-08, 01:13 PM
thrang
Rookie

Originally Posted by rominl
so you had the override when you updated your nav from 6.1 to 7.1?
Yes - the override was installed when the car had 6.1 - it was in place when the update to 7.1 was performed - and things are still working fine. Not sure if particular upgrade sequence was confirmed working (in fact, wasn't there someone who said the 7.1 upgrade "broke" their previously working 6.1 override?) - but for me, it is. (so far...)
Old 04-19-08, 05:09 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

it was nice meeting you lambo i miss my car

thanks for the info thrangm, that's good info!
Old 04-27-08, 08:53 PM
acecert
Pit Crew

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just wanted to add an additional confirmation to benefit the group that I had the override w/ ver 6.1 on the nav and upgraded to 7.1 last week and the override continues to work properly.
Old 04-27-08, 09:43 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

seems like so far all version of nav and upgrades are all ok
Old 04-28-08, 08:15 AM
jlawr
Lead Lap

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

What does "slightly 56k aware" mean in the title of this thread?
Old 04-28-08, 08:28 AM
Luxofreak
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

It means that for those that still have a dial-up connection to the internet (capped at 56k of download speed) will have a "slight" hard time looking at pictures on the 1st page because they will take forever to download. He was polite, I would have posted "56k = die"
Old 04-29-08, 06:14 PM
clemgrad85
Pole Position

Received 16 Likes on 6 Posts

Well....after an initial issue with getting my GPS back up after the override was installed a week and a half ago, I'm back up today. I'm still not sure if it was a bad unit, or installer error (I believe Henry will be checking out the first unit), but the second unit is working as advertised. Glad to have my GPS and my car back. Mark at Prestigious Society was very responsive to the initial problem and Henry was also very helpful....so thanks to both of them. Now I'll start to enjoy my car again.
Old 04-29-08, 06:29 PM
segdog2
Driver School Candidate

A+ would buy again.

Quick Reply: nav, phone, and dvd playback at my finger tip (slightly 56k aware)