LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Do Paint Swirls Count As Excessive Wear for Leasing

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-07, 12:27 PM
encore888
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Wow very nice contrast, big improvement.
Old 11-02-07, 03:46 PM
daryll40
Pole Position

Received 426 Likes on 289 Posts

Tell me more about using the leaf blower to dry the car. Does it really work? Which model blower should I get??
Old 11-02-07, 04:38 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

of course it works, it's a good way to dry the car, just make sure the leaf blower is ONLY used for drying the car, nothing else. you don't want to have any dirty of leaves or whatever to be in there, otherwise, with that high speed, you are guaranteed to put more scratches and swirls.

the whole idea is just like those car wash place using compressed air or air tools to blow away the waterq
Old 11-02-07, 05:20 PM
Craig B
Pole Position

Received 55 Likes on 39 Posts

People have been using leaf blowers to dry motorcycles for a long time. I've never dried my car with one. Stihl is hard to beat for a gas blower. I have a BG 85... Red Max also makes a nice gas blower.

Craig
Old 11-02-07, 05:53 PM
zzzzdoc
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Craig B
People have been using leaf blowers to dry motorcycles for a long time. I've never dried my car with one. Stihl is hard to beat for a gas blower. I have a BG 85... Red Max also makes a nice gas blower.

Craig
Prevailing wisdom is only to use an electric blower, as the gas ones can leave oil residue on the car.
Old 11-02-07, 06:00 PM
zzzzdoc
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by ojah
zzzzdoc,

Many thanks for this comprehensive response. I'll follow the recommendations to the dot.

All the best.
You're very welcome. This is what these forums are for. Lots of amazing experience out there.

Autopia is a great source of info. Constant disagreements between people, as there are MANY ways to skin a cat. You will learn whose advice you trust, who to ignore, and have lots of thought provoking posts. And there are many car care professionals that post there (and here, for that matter.)

Read, young Skywalker. And you will learn the ways of the force.

Then, I shall share with you the deep secrets of which products I personally like, for each car, and why. And I have different answers for each car, as they have different paint colors, functions, and lifestyles. I would imagine that many posters here will have their own favorites. There will be similarities. There will be differences.

Hopefully lots of members will jump in here. If not, start a new thread with people asking their favorite products and why. I'd imagine that would be very enlightening to all.

Last edited by zzzzdoc; 11-02-07 at 06:04 PM.
Old 11-02-07, 06:06 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

and just for the record, we have a detailing forum as well for all questions like these. i am keeping this thread here since a lot of new members here. but definitely explore other forums on CL. for the record, there are tons of brilliant detailers in the detailing forum!
Old 11-02-07, 06:15 PM
zzzzdoc
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by rominl
and just for the record, we have a detailing forum as well for all questions like these. i am keeping this thread here since a lot of new members here. but definitely explore other forums on CL. for the record, there are tons of brilliant detailers in the detailing forum!
Absolutely. My bad for not emphasizing that enough. I'm hoping some will jump in here and leave this conversation for professionals, not amateurs like me.

Last edited by zzzzdoc; 11-02-07 at 06:25 PM.
Old 11-02-07, 06:25 PM
zzzzdoc
Lead Lap

BTW, rominl, what's your favorite microfiber?
Old 11-03-07, 12:00 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by zzzzdoc
BTW, rominl, what's your favorite microfiber?
i used to get costco / walmart stuff, but they are not that good. still use them but only one very very daily driver

auto-car-care and poor boy they both have very good stuff. definitely higher price, but much better as well.

as stated, there are soooo much stuff out there, everyone has their own say on what's good and what's bad. the only way to find out, sometimes is to try them one by one
Old 11-03-07, 06:17 AM
zzzzdoc
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by 460LEX
Never seems to complete the job still have to let it sit for hours, can't get in the doors, most like it because you can blow the water out of the mirror's. But if you close your car door there always seems to be more water hiding. Thats why you see people self drying after they get out of the car wash and those blowers are bigger than yours. Like most things sounds good BUT....
Yeah, it does about 95% of the job, but you still have to lightly go over it with microfiber afterwards in spots. Where it excels is in getting a lot of the excess water off the grills, mirrors, gas cap area, roof, wierd nooks and crannies, trunk lid seams, etc.

Still leads to far less contact on the surface, and I do think works better. IMHO.
Old 11-03-07, 06:21 AM
daryll40
Pole Position

Received 426 Likes on 289 Posts

I bot a leaf blower last night and quickly hosed my wife's Explorer to test it. WOW! Thanks for this great tip. Yes, it took about 95% of the water off and did require drying touch up as I expected. But this is going to be a major time saver. Plus in the depths of nasty Pittsburgh winter, I can wash off the snow/sale/grime and quickly blow dry the car. In February it's a waste of time to fully dry and detail the car but it would be fine for a 95% dry after getting the crud off.

Why didn't I ever think of/hear of this? Thanks again!
Old 11-03-07, 06:26 AM
zzzzdoc
Lead Lap

The leaf blower really excels on my Lambo that have these honeycomb grills that soak up water like a magnet. There is no way to come close to drying the area with MF towels. Before the leaf blower, I'd do the job, and come back later to big water run spots (we have VERY hard water down here). Now I just blast the grills, and voila. I don't worry about sending 185mph wind through the grills because the car was designed for 208mph wind through the grills.
Old 11-03-07, 06:28 AM
zzzzdoc
Lead Lap

What are some of the stupidest things that people have been charged for (excessive wear and tear clause) when dropping their leased cars back off?
Old 11-03-07, 09:00 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

when we returned our sc430, the rear bumper was scratched and no problem at all. i know bmw is pretty strict on returns

glad you love the leaf blower darryl

Quick Reply: Do Paint Swirls Count As Excessive Wear for Leasing