LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Do Paint Swirls Count As Excessive Wear for Leasing

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-07, 12:58 PM
luxury1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Do Paint Swirls Count As Excessive Wear for Leasing

When turning in a leased vehicle do swirl marks from automatic car washes count as excessive wear?
Old 11-01-07, 01:12 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

shouldn't be. when we returned the sc430 it had swirls and everything was fine. it's pretty different between swirls and scratches
Old 11-01-07, 02:52 PM
Nospinzone

Received 423 Likes on 326 Posts

I wouldn't think so, but a lease company will get away with whatever they can.

Just Zaino the car and they've got no case!
Old 11-02-07, 04:17 AM
Obsidiann
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

...but will it ever see a lowering kit. An inch will do some good, just an inch.
Old 11-02-07, 04:41 AM
daryll40
Pole Position

Received 420 Likes on 286 Posts

Please talk to me about ZANIO and about the microfiber towel thing. Do either REALLY get out/keep out swirls on dark colors?
Old 11-02-07, 05:10 AM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,270 Likes on 1,378 Posts

Originally Posted by daryll40
Please talk to me about ZANIO and about the microfiber towel thing. Do either REALLY get out/keep out swirls on dark colors?
No they don't. The microfiber will help keep from getting swirls when you use harder cloths that scratch. Using microfiber and quick detailer (QD) on a dirty car is still a recipe for significantly scratching sour paint. Only do that when there is a small layer of dust or spotting.

Check our detailing forum for a lot more information. There are hundreds of threads on 'swirls' and 'spiderwebs' and how to get rid of them. With a black Lexus it is an ongoing battle and while Zaino might help prevent them a bit (I use it exclusively on my GS) it won't get rid of them without proper paint prep.
Old 11-02-07, 05:32 AM
luxury1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I would say that I wash my cars 90% of the time but in the winter it is just too hard (I live in Pittsburgh). I do use Zaino, it takes a long time to do it right but I do like the results.
Old 11-02-07, 06:27 AM
ojah
Rookie

Originally Posted by DaveGS4
No they don't. The microfiber will help keep from getting swirls when you use harder cloths that scratch. Using microfiber and quick detailer (QD) on a dirty car is still a recipe for significantly scratching sour paint. Only do that when there is a small layer of dust or spotting.

Check our detailing forum for a lot more information. There are hundreds of threads on 'swirls' and 'spiderwebs' and how to get rid of them. With a black Lexus it is an ongoing battle and while Zaino might help prevent them a bit (I use it exclusively on my GS) it won't get rid of them without proper paint prep.

Could you please clarify what you mean by proper paint prep? I'm someone who has nightmares at the sight of ugly swirls. Thanks.
Old 11-02-07, 06:55 AM
zzzzdoc
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by luxury1
When turning in a leased vehicle do swirl marks from automatic car washes count as excessive wear?
Considering that my Black Opal LS600hL came full of them, I think not.
Old 11-02-07, 07:03 AM
zzzzdoc
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by ojah
Could you please clarify what you mean by proper paint prep? I'm someone who has nightmares at the sight of ugly swirls. Thanks.
It's a little complicated topic, but worthwhile to learn (read the detailing section here, cruise around http://autopia.org/forum/

Wash car with proper car wash solution. Don't scratch the paint with the grime on the car. Dry without scratching. This is the part where you can do a lot of damage. You need good quality microfiber towels. Not Costco stuff. I use an electric (not gas) leaf blower. Noisy, a little heavy, but very effective at drying without scratching.

Clay car to remove embedded grime.

Polish out swirls with good quality polish and a random orbital polisher (pros will use rotary, amateurs should avoid them, for the most part, like the plague. Most effective, but most dangerous.)

Seal car with a good polymer sealant (most longevity) or a good wax (best look). Or the combo of the two (wax over sealant, not vice-versa).

Periodically use a quick detailing solution to keep the surface clean and shiny, repelling water.

I do all my own cars, from the Lambo to the Lexuses. It takes a ton of work, and seems endless. The results, if done properly, can be breathtaking. I like working with my hands, so I find it therapeutic, if not quite tiring.

Unfortunately, my Black Opal LS600hL is my DD and sits outside 24/7. Pretty challenging to keep looking good. I'm constantly rinsing it on my driveway, and using a quick detailer on it when clean.

Prep is the most important step. If you don't remove the swirls, the car never has that wonderful, deep, wet luster. Light gets diffracted too much.

Anyway, long winded answer, but hope it helps. It might pay for a professional detailer to rotary out the swirls to get you started, and then you work on keeping it swirl-free.
Old 11-02-07, 07:21 AM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,270 Likes on 1,378 Posts

Originally Posted by 460LEX
If your car looks better post pictures.
Oh, did I just hear the glove drop ? My 1998 GS400 is a full 10 years old now and yes IMO my paint looks as good as yours (yes I looked at the Teleios pics you are just now posting) . All original Lexus Black Onyx paint except for the bodykit stuff. You car hasn't been through a winter yet either I suspect.

Some of these pics are a couple of years old, but the paint looks even better now than it did then. I've included some newer ones too and close ups.

At seven years

More current

Want to look close?
http://www.somniplex.com/gallery/Dub...MG_9528?full=1
http://www.somniplex.com/gallery/Dub...MG_9525?full=1

Come back and talk to me in 2017 with some pictures

Don't get me wrong, your car looks great. Ongoing maintenance with good QD products and MF can keep it that way. However, if you QD your dirty black Lexus car with significant road salt, dirt, etc even with the best microfibers you WILL get swirls and scratches. 110% guaranteed

As zzzzdoc mentioned, some great reading here in our forum and Autopia (a car care forum). MANY products out there and you can invest as much or as little time as you want in this. You might consider a pro detailer a couple of times a year and then maintain it between yourself.

Last edited by DaveGS4; 11-02-07 at 07:28 AM.
Old 11-02-07, 07:23 AM
ojah
Rookie

zzzzdoc,

Many thanks for this comprehensive response. I'll follow the recommendations to the dot.

All the best.
Old 11-02-07, 07:31 AM
LiCelsior
Retired

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

omg dave ur GS is absolutely beautiful, sorry for off topic.
Old 11-02-07, 08:19 AM
daryll40
Pole Position

Received 420 Likes on 286 Posts

Talk to me more about the leaf blower in lieu of drying rags/towels. I never thought of that but it's a GREAT idea. What should I buy? Does it REALLY dry the car? Is it faster, slower or about the same time as hand drying?
Old 11-02-07, 08:59 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by daryll40
Originally Posted by ojah
davegs4 and zzzzdoc pretty much hit it all. just in a nutshell, paint prep is far more important than the wax/polish you put on. autopia is a fantastic place to learn more. bottom line is in the beginning how careful you are to strip off all wax, make it a mirror finish, and then seal and protect it.

keep in mind not all microfiber are the same. some are still better than the others. definitely ONLY use microfiber to wash and dry your car, otherwise you are doing nothing but damaging your paint.

here's an example i did on my friend's black car.

before (i almost cried, look at all the swirls, scratches, uneven surfaces)

after (full paint prep, 8 hours of work to clay, polish, and seal)

Quick Reply: Do Paint Swirls Count As Excessive Wear for Leasing