LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H
View Poll Results: How do you feel about the Lexus NAVI lockout?
I'm glad it's there, it keeps me from crashing
1.87%
Could care less one way or another
4.10%
Annoying, but tolerable
18.28%
Really Annoying - worst "feature" of the car
60.07%
Untolerable - Major factor keeping me from purchasing a Lexus
15.67%
Voters: 268. You may not vote on this poll

Lexus NAVI Lockout

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-08, 11:28 PM
encore888
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Just to clarify, the NAVI lockout refers to not being able to use parts of the navigation system, and video being blocked out while driving.

What I think you are talking about when turning on the car is the "I Agree" screen which, in your 2008 LS 460, is no longer there. Instead it goes to the regular NAVI menu, or possibly bluetooth command etc.

The NAVI override, an aftermarket solution, is discussed here: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=313365

Already there are quite a few members who have successfully installed this and it allows use of the NAVI while driving and watching DVD video (but be careful!).
Old 02-05-08, 02:13 PM
ES350Bob
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This guy got a NAV rebate of $ 2,650 from Lexus after enough complaining or other effort and it seems has opened the door or window maybe for others who are not pleased to get the same.

"12/15/07 Well, we received A REBATE Now let's get you one too!"
http://www.lexusoverride.com/
Old 02-05-08, 02:37 PM
encore888
Lexus Champion

Wow, that's a hefty sum for a complaint. But methinks he doth protests too much...it the inconvenience worth that much money???
Old 02-05-08, 02:48 PM
ES350Bob
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by encore888
Wow, that's a hefty sum for a complaint. But methinks he doth protests too much...it the inconvenience worth that much money???
I thought it was severe too, but then again he is holding a rebate check

I got the impression he himself would not attempt to go around it but pay others maybe if need be so it is to offset that maybe
Old 02-08-08, 11:56 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

this is sooooo in america imho. i can never understand that. you buy a car without enough knowledge, and then you whine over the whole country about something you don't like, and eventually got a check from lexus for something that's not their fault at all. (which btw the original override method was not supposed to be public, only for diagnostic use by lexus tech)

amazing, just amazing.
Old 02-08-08, 01:14 PM
Mike_TX
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Yes, this guy is making a minor federal case out of this, but I'm completely with him in spirit. Regardless of the fact the previous override was a tech service tool, it was widely known and it did allow use of the nav like God intended it.

I think if a car maker disabled the stereo or CD player, or the cruise control or power windows when the car started moving, people would run away from them in droves and they'd go broke. But when they disable the nav - a driving aid - while you're driving, people seem to just shrug and accept it.

I knew the Lexus nav greyed out while moving, but to be honest I bought the LS only because I had read about the PS override here, and figured I could work around it. But the REAL solution here is for Lexus to stop acting like pussies and let owners actually use the system they paid some big bucks to have.

I find no evidence using a nav system while moving increases the possibility of accidents and lawsuits. Certainly not any more than using the CD player, or the satellite radio, or adjusting the rearview mirror or dropping a cigarette while driving, or playing with a cellphone or iPod, or any of a hundred other things while moving. If it DID, Garmin and Magellan and Acura and Honda and BMW, etc., etc. would be sued out of business. To single out the nav system and disable it is absurd and chikencrap.

Heck, if Toyota/Lexus can stand the liability arising out of people hurtling a 4,000 lb. hunk of steel down the road at 70 mph, using the nav system is nothing. I say fire the lawyers who try to eliminate all forms of liability and turn the nav system back on.

Old 02-08-08, 01:37 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

no, i completely disagree. if some menu / methods / procedures are ONLY available to company or technicians, and are NOT included as part of the feature list of the product, then the company / manufacturer has every right to take away those features and they don't own anyone anything. that's even if the information is leaked out and widely known.

i am in electronic design. on almost all devices these days, there are secret menus or different ways for you to "hack" or "get into" the devices and do a lot more than what it's advertised to. that's nothing special.

look at iphone (or a lot of different phones hacking procedures). there are ways to hack into it and get things done so you can use it anywhere. iphone keeps on changing to new firmware or new hardware design to defeat that purpose. do you see iphone people suing apple for making their lives miserable? answer is no.

bottom line, widely known or not, the previous method was sole property and proprietary to lexus and lexus ONLY. you and i or everyday joe are NOT supposed to have access or use them. having a dvd upgrade and that menu being closed down, that's your problem, it's not lexus.

your example on stereo and cd player does not apply. those are advertised feature of the car
Old 02-08-08, 05:45 PM
Mike_TX
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by rominl
no, i completely disagree. if some menu / methods / procedures are ONLY available to company or technicians, and are NOT included as part of the feature list of the product, then the company / manufacturer has every right to take away those features and they don't own anyone anything. that's even if the information is leaked out and widely known.

i am in electronic design. on almost all devices these days, there are secret menus or different ways for you to "hack" or "get into" the devices and do a lot more than what it's advertised to. that's nothing special.

look at iphone (or a lot of different phones hacking procedures). there are ways to hack into it and get things done so you can use it anywhere. iphone keeps on changing to new firmware or new hardware design to defeat that purpose. do you see iphone people suing apple for making their lives miserable? answer is no.

bottom line, widely known or not, the previous method was sole property and proprietary to lexus and lexus ONLY. you and i or everyday joe are NOT supposed to have access or use them. having a dvd upgrade and that menu being closed down, that's your problem, it's not lexus.

your example on stereo and cd player does not apply. those are advertised feature of the car
You missed my point about the stereo and other stuff. It was just to illustrate how people would react if other commonly-used things in the car were to be crippled like the nav is.

I know the backdoor override was a service tool, not intended for public use, and Lexus can take it away. Although they could have turned their heads and let it live if they wanted to.

But I'm complaining about the whole concept of crippled navigation systems, and I'm sorry (no I'm not), but I think it's CS of them to sell us something that's rendered largely useless under most circumstances. And as far as the nav system being proprietary Lexus property, I disagree - when I buy it, it's mine, and how I use it is no longer their business. That's why I figure the PS nav hack is also my business and they have no say in it.

This guy's point is not real strong, since it relies on the use of a Lexus service tool. My point, though, is that nav systems shouldn't be locked, unless of course they want to charge half-price for them. Others selling the same kind of system for the same price don't lock you out, so you automatically get less with a Lexus system.

Just my opinion.

Old 02-08-08, 06:34 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

i was trying to say the secret menu is proprietary to lexus ONLY, not the nav system. please read again what i said (previous method -- meaning method to override)

having complain about lexus system locking out while in motion that's one thing, i am not against that, COMPLETELY fine with me. but i am pointing at this guy and say he's stupid coz' he's making it like it's lexus fault for something that doesn't really belong to him.

it's ok to complain about how stupid lexus nav is and then walk away and and buy a bmw or mb, but if someone buys the car (with or without the knowledge of nav lock) and then later complain and whine about it? that's stupid imho. if anything, blame self for not learning enough about the system
Old 02-09-08, 07:39 AM
Mike_TX
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by rominl
i was trying to say the secret menu is proprietary to lexus ONLY, not the nav system. please read again what i said (previous method -- meaning method to override)

having complain about lexus system locking out while in motion that's one thing, i am not against that, COMPLETELY fine with me. but i am pointing at this guy and say he's stupid coz' he's making it like it's lexus fault for something that doesn't really belong to him.

it's ok to complain about how stupid lexus nav is and then walk away and and buy a bmw or mb, but if someone buys the car (with or without the knowledge of nav lock) and then later complain and whine about it? that's stupid imho. if anything, blame self for not learning enough about the system
Can't argue with that!

Old 03-23-08, 09:48 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by jc3103
Just wait until people start pulling over and stopping on the turnpike, and are rear-ended. When Lexus gets sued a few times, they may wake up.
you choose to stop at turnpike, what can i say
Old 03-28-08, 12:14 AM
Luxofreak
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

This problem could have been solved by Lexus if they would offer the option of having it grayed out or not. They could simply put some kind of "I agree" nag screen just before the user would opt to use the system not grayed out. It's that simple. Lexus could not be sued over the user decision - after proper warnings - of having the system operating with the "safe lock" turned off.
Old 03-28-08, 07:46 AM
Mike_TX
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Luxofreak
This problem could have been solved by Lexus if they would offer the option of having it grayed out or not. They could simply put some kind of "I agree" nag screen just before the user would opt to use the system not grayed out. It's that simple. Lexus could not be sued over the user decision - after proper warnings - of having the system operating with the "safe lock" turned off.
That is, BTW, exactly what Garmin has done for years with their aftermarket units ... you make the decision to accept full functionality (and the responsibility that goes along with it) or not.

Old 03-28-08, 05:28 PM
Johnny
Pole Position

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

A point to consider: Who owns the car anyway?
Old 03-31-08, 10:37 PM
encore888
Lexus Champion

You do own the car indeed...

Quick Reply: Lexus NAVI Lockout