LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Discounts from MSRP?

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-07, 08:51 AM
Mike_TX
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Question Discounts from MSRP?

The '08's obviously haven't been out long, but I'm curious about what sort of discounts off MSRP you guys have been getting over the past year.

I know when I bought my IS350 last year, the dealers in this area were holding pretty firm at list price, but I don't know how the LS's are trending.

Also, is there any "previous customer" discount? Lexus used to have a "loyalty" discount, but I don't know if it's still being applied (?)

Old 11-27-07, 09:30 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

it's all about region, you are in tx so i have no idea

here in socal, if you want ls460 swb, you have deals left and right. lwb is still in shortage in some places

discount on sales is all about individual dealerships, lexus has no control over, there is no such thing as previous customer discount. what you negotiate is what you get. but there are encore finance / lease rates
Old 11-27-07, 10:10 AM
gvr4wd
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yeah, it's pretty much depending on how much demand is in your area. I'm in Washington DC area and paid $5k off MSRP without any haggle on a SWB. I think I could have done better, but the car was just too nice to pass up or wait....
Old 11-27-07, 11:22 AM
astrotoy
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Costco, don't know whether they are in TX, has a prenegotiated discount on Lexus with local dealerships. For the LS it was $4K off MSRP - I got my LWB Exec Seating that way. The dealer is supposed to show you the discount sheet and the factory invoice if you ask. I saw the sheet and different models had different discounts - some were an amount over invoice (like the ES models) and some were an amount off of MSRP. You have to be a Costco member, but there is no charge for this. You are supposed to get a $50 service coupon from Costco after the transaction and filling out a questionnaire, but I haven't gotten mine yet ( it has been a month). I have a sense that the discount may change with time and there were some models that did not have a discount (the LS600 was the one I saw on the list).
Old 11-27-07, 12:19 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

4k off msrp? so 90k?
Old 11-27-07, 02:29 PM
astrotoy
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yes, 90K plus tax and license. So in California, enough under 100K to buy insurance and gas for a year or more.
Old 11-27-07, 02:38 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

icic, not too bad. i guess you didn't want to go through the trouble of negotiating with sales?

we looked at the costco pricing as well before we bought, but prices wasn't as good. didn't look into exec package of course
Old 11-27-07, 02:40 PM
Nospinzone

Received 421 Likes on 325 Posts

...I'm curious about what sort of discounts off MSRP .....

For starters, that's the wrong way to go about it. Never negotiate down from MSRP. Rather negotiate up from dealer cost.

Google the subject, there are some good web sites out there with tips and techniques. I'd also recommend Consumer Reports (I think for about $12-$15 you can get negotiating tips, MSRP and cost for all options, plus they give you the dealer holdback which you can't get on Edmunds, et al).

P.S. This week is an excellent time of the month. If you don't get it now, wait until the day after Christmas.
Old 11-27-07, 02:44 PM
Mike_TX
Lexus Test Driver

Good info - thanks! I AM a Costco member, so I'll definitely look into that when the time comes.

I think the thing with my IS was that they were pretty new on the scene last spring and in somewhat short supply (or at least the dealers wanted you to think that). But the Lexus dealers around here kinda like to play M-B and act like MSRP is the "only" price.

Old 11-27-07, 02:49 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

yeah, it's supply and demand. with fewer dealerships around, you have less bargaining power. maybe you can even get a car here in socal and ship it over, the final price might be cheaper. my friend from seattle just bought a gx470 through my contact. if you want me to help i can hook you up and you can compare prices
Old 11-27-07, 02:49 PM
rajwany
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

u can get here in dallas $2500 over cost. i think thats a great deal
Old 11-27-07, 02:51 PM
Mike_TX
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Nospinzone
...I'm curious about what sort of discounts off MSRP .....

For starters, that's the wrong way to go about it. Never negotiate down from MSRP. Rather negotiate up from dealer cost.
LOL. Yeah, nospin, I've been buying/leasing cars for 40 years, so I know the ropes.

I used that terminology only because we all know MSRP and people tend to speak in terms of how much they "got off list".

But I've also found the Lexus dealers in Dallas/Ft. Worth typically don't give a rat's rear about how much you know about invoice, markups, holdbacks, backrooms, and all that other stuff. They are frankly kinda snooty, and look at you like you're from Mars when you start negotiating. I had to walk on one of them last year when I got my IS because he wouldn't even discuss anything but MSRP. He lost a sale, too.

Old 11-27-07, 02:55 PM
rajwany
Driver

Originally Posted by Mike_TX
LOL. Yeah, nospin, I've been buying/leasing cars for 40 years, so I know the ropes.

I used that terminology only because we all know MSRP and people tend to speak in terms of how much they "got off list".

But I've also found the Lexus dealers in Dallas/Ft. Worth typically don't give a rat's rear about how much you know about invoice, markups, holdbacks, backrooms, and all that other stuff. They are frankly kinda snooty, and look at you like you're from Mars when you start negotiating. I had to walk on one of them last year when I got my IS because he wouldn't even discuss anything but MSRP. He lost a sale, too.

sorry but have to disagree been buying lexus's for the past 12 years and park place lexus in plano always treated me nice and gave me fair deal, which i have compared here on the forum. even now they r offering 2500 over invoice.
Old 11-27-07, 02:56 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by rajwany
u can get here in dallas $2500 over cost. i think thats a great deal
2500 over invoice for a swb? that's not too bad.
Old 11-27-07, 02:57 PM
rajwany
Driver

Originally Posted by rominl
2500 over invoice for a swb? that's not too bad.
yes, any pkg.

Quick Reply: Discounts from MSRP?