LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

my review of the ls460l

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-07, 11:03 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts
Default my review of the ls460l

so after owning the car for several months (as opposed to some people who said i don't own on ), here's my little review of the car. won't make it too long, just want to give it some highs and lows. our car is ls460l (lwb) with rear seats upgrades, etc.... (pretty much everything minus the exec package)

pros:
- car is fast with a lot of power to spare
- car is very quiet
- the 8" nav is awesome
- air suspension is very soft and nice rebounce
- huge rear space
- very comfortable seats
- very nice dash cluster design
- quite powerful brakes
- ml system is phenomenal

cons:
- blind spot is kind of hard to see
- stock wheels are too small for the car
- trunk space is small
- pain in the butt to wash

first off, i don't have any wind noise problem. i have a very long review on that already so i will skip that. i do wish the mirror design could be better so there is less turbulence at higher speed (only thing i could hear). otherwise, the car is really dead quiet at all speed. the only car i have experience that could come close would be the s550. that's also a very nice car. another thing is the engine "noise". from stop, when you start to accelerate, i could hear engine noise from the front, if those could be reduced as well that would be much better

while this car doesn't have crazy power, but for its size and weight, i think the car is very powerful and fast as is already. pick up at any speed is flawless special thanks to the 8 speed tranny of course. one "problem" is at freeway, you can easily get to 85 or 90mph cruising and you have no idea you are going that fast. several times already, some other cars wanted to hang with me and i totally walked away from them. comparing to our gs400 and sc430, this car blows them away in speed despite of its size

handling of the car is surprisingly good as well i should add. i didn't expect the handling to be very good coz' of the floaty suspension, the length, and weight. but the car doesn't really handle any worse than our gs400 and sc430 (both modified on suspensions). and the braking of the car is very good as well. granted we only have the standard brakes not the larger ones on the touring package, it's definitely nice to have more confidence in my driving

interior is just fabulous, personally i love it. the dash is very nice, nothing i had seen before (the graphics). the nav layout and design is very good too. some people complain about the nav lock out, to me it's ok, plus now i hiave the override, there is nothing to worry anymore. seats are very comfortable, indeed, so comfortable that every time my wife is in the car, she falls asleep.... (not sure if that's a good or bad thing). due to the size of the car, the car is spacious and i guess to small persons like my wife, it's a bit hard. she'd 5' and when she drives, she said she could hardly reach the armrest on both sides.

the rear seats are very nice with recline and indiviaul AC capability. although the trunk size is quite silly. but since we didn't get the car for trunk space, it's not that big of a deal to us.

one thing about the driving position. mainly due to the length of the car i suppose, blind spot is a bit hard to see. on our sc430 and gs400, it was a lot easier, but several times already on the ls460l (specially the first 2 weeks of ownership), i wanted to change lanes (no cars in mirrors) only to find a small car right at the blind spot. so be careful on that

last but not least, the ml system is just insane. for the price i think it's a big bargain. we also have the gs350 with ML and sc430, they were no match at all, not even close. the system on the ls460 is just fabulous. some people say the base is too strong, but to me at least there are base, you just need to lower it if you want (i actually had to raise it). on some other lexus, i put it to max and it's still not enough.

overall, we are very happy with the car. it's quite a bit more money from other lexus, but to us it's worth the money and it delivers all we want.
Old 11-29-07, 12:41 PM
encore888
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Thanks for the review and congratulations on your new LS!!!

Got the air suspension...nice! Yes it is a BIG car and I hope you will be able to put those rear seats to good use.

And naturally the ML stereo is quite spectacular. Maybe in the future they could add a blind spot warning system. Definitely gotta love the power...although like you said be careful it's so effortless speeding is quite easy.

BTW what color did you get, any hints? Thanks again for the review!

Last edited by encore888; 11-29-07 at 12:47 PM.
Old 11-29-07, 12:52 PM
jlawr
Lead Lap

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

I've had my LS 460 SWB for a week and love it too. I don't have air suspension or 19" wheels, but even though the car "rolls," I have never lost the rear end in a turn or experienced any over- or under-steer on the front end. I'm not sure it would make sense on a SWB to go to larger tires or beef up the suspension. Other opinions welcome.

Even thought the handling "feels" different than a BMW, the ride AND handling seem surperb to me in the LS 460. I really "pushed" all three LS's at a "Taste of Lexus" and still only knocked over one or two cones -- but I never lost control! Wanna see how good the VSC is? Just disable it and try driving hard (in a large, empty parking lot of course). I now know never to disable it again.

As far as blind spot, I just swing the side mirrors out a little more than usual and -- no blind spot!

Oh, yeah, I love the ML system too!
Old 11-29-07, 01:07 PM
Duonguyen
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

BTW what color did you get, any hints? Thanks again for the review![/QUOTE]

"pain in the butt to wash"
Black I think,from the expression.
Old 11-29-07, 01:14 PM
USLEX
Intermediate

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Duonguyen
"pain in the butt to wash"
Black I think,from the expression.
That is unless he is buffing it with his booty
Old 11-29-07, 03:13 PM
Nospinzone

Received 418 Likes on 322 Posts

I would second the blind spot comment. I have still kept my Infiniti Q45a and backing up with that car is much easier than with my LS460, but then my Q won't park itself!
Old 11-29-07, 05:17 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by encore888
Thanks for the review and congratulations on your new LS!!!

Got the air suspension...nice! Yes it is a BIG car and I hope you will be able to put those rear seats to good use.

And naturally the ML stereo is quite spectacular. Maybe in the future they could add a blind spot warning system. Definitely gotta love the power...although like you said be careful it's so effortless speeding is quite easy.

correct. going with lwb was a firm decision right from the beginning. the car looks better, and also the air suspension is better on ride quality and also very easy to lower the car. love it

the ml on the ls460 is spectacular. but honestly i can't say the same for the rest of the lexus lineup. read my review of the gs350 in the 3gs forum. it's good, but nothing close

Originally Posted by jlawr
I've had my LS 460 SWB for a week and love it too. I don't have air suspension or 19" wheels, but even though the car "rolls," I have never lost the rear end in a turn or experienced any over- or under-steer on the front end. I'm not sure it would make sense on a SWB to go to larger tires or beef up the suspension. Other opinions welcome.

Even thought the handling "feels" different than a BMW, the ride AND handling seem surperb to me in the LS 460. I really "pushed" all three LS's at a "Taste of Lexus" and still only knocked over one or two cones -- but I never lost control! Wanna see how good the VSC is? Just disable it and try driving hard (in a large, empty parking lot of course). I now know never to disable it again.

As far as blind spot, I just swing the side mirrors out a little more than usual and -- no blind spot!

Oh, yeah, I love the ML system too!
indeed, a pro driver took us around in the ls460l at TOL event. i couldn't believe how hard he pushed the car and the car just kept on going where it should be. i was thoroughly impressed

and the color? well, will soon post about. it's all vip
Old 11-29-07, 05:25 PM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 218 Likes on 146 Posts

All I had is just ONE picture from you several months ago

Thanks for the review, glad you're enjoying it so far
Old 11-29-07, 05:26 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

actually i forgot i posted pics already. here you go

Old 11-29-07, 05:27 PM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 218 Likes on 146 Posts

Can't see the wheels ...
Old 11-29-07, 06:22 PM
jlawr
Lead Lap

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts
Talking

Originally Posted by Robarapta
Can't see the wheels ...
I think the wheels are on the bottom of the car (lol)
Old 11-29-07, 06:39 PM
LexFather

Great write-up Henry and congrats!!!!
Old 11-29-07, 06:45 PM
encore888
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Nice pics!!!
Old 11-29-07, 06:47 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by Robarapta
Can't see the wheels ...
lol, soon?
Old 11-29-07, 08:11 PM
RA40
Super Moderator

Received 470 Likes on 362 Posts

Nice garage mates there. Congrats!

(MY imagination working here) The next pics will be with the air controller, those special 22's that are on the way or sitting in boxes in front of the car waiting to be unpacked...hmm...such a tease.

Quick Reply: my review of the ls460l