LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

LS460 SWB Harsh Ride

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-07, 11:40 AM
Anazaz
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am from Dubai, UAE, and i have bought a 2007 LS460 SWB in Sep. 2007. For the first month the car was perfect, but soon after i started to notice a slight vibration coming through the seats, and latter it became very apparent and visual vibration in the passenger seat. By the third month the glovebox started rattling, and i could feel the whole car flex over any broken pavement, this in spite of the dealer changing all four tiers under warranty. i have the 19 inch rims with 245/45R19 tiers and the steel suspension (not air). I have been reading many forums and talking to other owners in the UAE and abroad, with steel suspension or air, 18 and 19 inch rims, and all the three different kinds of tiers, and this is more common than it is appearing in this forum, This is not my first Lexus nor my first premium brand (BMW, Mercedes, among others). I am not disappointed in Lexus as much as the LS, but if Lexus dose not do something to fix the problem soon i will return my car and shop elsewhere.
Old 12-11-07, 05:35 PM
joeyb
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I'm not offering any advice, but after my test drives of the SWB, I've put off buying the car. My only reason was the poor ride quality.
Old 12-11-07, 05:40 PM
Johnny
Pole Position

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

I have the Turanzas on my SWB LS.

The ride is silent, smooth, cornering is excellent, tracking at high speed is accurate and very stable.

I would probably replace them with same when they wear out, unless something better comes out.
Old 12-11-07, 07:16 PM
rajwany
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Anazaz
I am from Dubai, UAE, and i have bought a 2007 LS460 SWB in Sep. 2007. For the first month the car was perfect, but soon after i started to notice a slight vibration coming through the seats, and latter it became very apparent and visual vibration in the passenger seat. By the third month the glovebox started rattling, and i could feel the whole car flex over any broken pavement, this in spite of the dealer changing all four tiers under warranty. i have the 19 inch rims with 245/45R19 tiers and the steel suspension (not air). I have been reading many forums and talking to other owners in the UAE and abroad, with steel suspension or air, 18 and 19 inch rims, and all the three different kinds of tiers, and this is more common than it is appearing in this forum, This is not my first Lexus nor my first premium brand (BMW, Mercedes, among others). I am not disappointed in Lexus as much as the LS, but if Lexus dose not do something to fix the problem soon i will return my car and shop elsewhere.

u r right it is very frustrating. ask the dealer to check your rims for any damages or bents. even slight bent rims will do what you r feeling in your car. 19's are easily damaged, specially in a heavy car like lexus.
Old 12-11-07, 08:23 PM
Mike_TX
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

This is so confusing. We have people saying the LS rides rough, we have people saying it's so soft it's floaty, we have people saying it rides beautifully.

Based on my two 1st Gen LS's, I can't believe the car rides rough, unless they've totally abandoned the mission of the car. I mean, could they have somehow forgotten how to make a car ride well? And if so, how can some of them ride well and others ride so poorly?

As someone sizing up the car for purchase, this makes my head hurt.

Old 12-11-07, 08:31 PM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 218 Likes on 146 Posts

Always check the tire pressures of the demo car to see if they are at the appropiate level before you test drive it if you want a good assessment of the ride.

I've heard they put very high pressure on the tires(which affects the ride) during shipping, & sometimes they forget to put the pressure back to normal before they let customers test drive them . . .
Old 12-11-07, 08:38 PM
Johnny
Pole Position

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike_TX
This is so confusing. We have people saying the LS rides rough, we have people saying it's so soft it's floaty, we have people saying it rides beautifully.

Based on my two 1st Gen LS's, I can't believe the car rides rough, unless they've totally abandoned the mission of the car. I mean, could they have somehow forgotten how to make a car ride well? And if so, how can some of them ride well and others ride so poorly?

As someone sizing up the car for purchase, this makes my head hurt.

My mantras: Always take anything I read on the Internet with a grain of salt.

The veracity of the content is proportional to the reputation of the poster.

Once you clear that hurdle, the only thing left is the subjectivity of the individual experience.
Old 12-11-07, 08:47 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by Robarapta
Always check the tire pressures of the demo car to see if they are at the appropiate level before you test drive it if you want a good assessment of the ride.

I've heard they put very high pressure on the tires(which affects the ride) during shipping, & sometimes they forget to put the pressure back to normal before they let customers test drive them . . .
Absolutely. They do that to protect the alloy wheels over bumps during shipping. But the factory switch to lower-profile 45-series tires on the LS460 (the old LS430 had higher-profile ones), even with the correct pressures, will stiffen the ride up a little anyway.
Old 12-11-07, 08:57 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 189 Likes on 147 Posts

Originally Posted by Robarapta

indeed, often times you see over 40psi
Old 12-12-07, 10:48 AM
Anazaz
Driver School Candidate

You are right with your mantra.

Now, this is my second LS (400 & 460) my third Lexus (including my second car the 2007 RX350), I never had such an issue with a Lexus before, but now i do. My car has the Bridgestone Turanzas with a heat rating of 1, and the roads in my town are going through a major expansion, so there are a lot of detours and bad temporary roads.

I have ordered a BMW 330 Convertible once i have that i will try with my dealer for the last time, if they cant fix it i will return it.
Old 12-12-07, 11:25 AM
Mike_TX
Lexus Test Driver

Now, this is my second LS (400 & 460) my third Lexus (including my second car the 2007 RX350), I never had such an issue with a Lexus before, but now i do. My car has the Bridgestone Turanzas with a heat rating of 1, and the roads in my town are going through a major expansion, so there are a lot of detours and bad temporary roads.

I have ordered a BMW 330 Convertible once i have that i will try with my dealer for the last time, if they cant fix it i will return it.
Anazaz - doesn't your dealer acknowledge the vibration?

If it's not the wheels or tires, one thing to have them check is the driveshaft. An out-of-balance driveshaft, or bad driveshaft bearings, will cause the vibration you are experiencing.

Good luck.

Old 12-12-07, 01:00 PM
rajwany
Driver

and bad temporary roads.

now iam confused. YOU WILL trade the or RETURN it. Did they give u a special 30day money back or something
Old 12-13-07, 11:05 PM
Anazaz
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by rajwany
now iam confused. YOU WILL trade the or RETURN it. Did they give u a special 30day money back or something
Mike_TX:
Yes it could be the driveshaft, but then again it could be the suspension alignment, or something else?? i will have them do all that when i go back to them.

rajwany:
The people at the dealer have acknowledged the problem and tried to fix it twice already (changed the 4 tires the second time).
Old 12-14-07, 06:55 AM
rajwany
Driver

good luck. i hope it works out fine 4 u
Old 12-14-07, 03:04 PM
Mike_TX
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by 460LEX
Come on Guys, anyone that knows the LS line knows the 460 rides firmer, why screw people around and talk about drive shafts and tire pressure everyone know higher tire pressure will make any car ride firmer, and there is no drive shaft problems with LS's. The Wheels are balanced at the factory better than any GPS 9700 can do. All bets are off if you put aftermarket wheels on or if you take you tires off and get them remounted. There are very few that can balance within .25 gram. The Damping on the 460 was increased and the spring rate is higher. Every one was complaining about how the LS 400 and 430 would wallow and float. So the firm things up and make it very close to the 745 ride and now some complain about the firm ride. Look if you want a softer ride buy and 430 the 460 is tuned to be stiffer.
Uhhh ... I think Anazaz is talking about a vibration, not how firm the ride is.

Quick Reply: LS460 SWB Harsh Ride