LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Grrrr... Had to abandon LS tonight due to snow...

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-07, 12:45 AM
Johnny
Pole Position

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts
Angry Grrrr... Had to abandon LS tonight due to snow...

As mentioned in a previous thread, this car is next to useless in the snow - and I thought at the time the weight would be enough. I hope she survives the night - she's at the end of a hilly cul-de-sac. On the flats with the Snow setting it's not too bad, but freshly fallen or slushy surfaces set up a disaster waiting to happen. The weight, rear wheel drive and hills (even mild ones), create conditions that this car cannot handle with all-weather tires, and I doubt snow tires would overcome these challenges. Guess I'm in the market for a 4x4 as this car was obviously not made for Canadian winter conditions. Thankfully, these don't strike too often on the Left Coast.
Old 12-03-07, 05:45 AM
zzzzdoc
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Bummer. Hope your baby's OK.

I wonder if Helmar got any snow driving experience this weekend with the storm.
Old 12-03-07, 06:02 AM
carlos
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think you're under estimating the usefulness of snow tires and over estimating the usefulness of all-season tires.

On a car this expensive, I wouldn't chance it with all-season tires. Those tires are usually not really good at any thing (snow, wet, dry, etc.), while snow tires are good in... well, snow.

I'm sure you can get a set of snow wheels/tires for under $1k.
Old 12-03-07, 07:04 AM
syswei
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Burnaby
As mentioned in a previous thread, this car is next to useless in the snow - and I thought at the time the weight would be enough. I hope she survives the night - she's at the end of a hilly cul-de-sac. On the flats with the Snow setting it's not too bad, but freshly fallen or slushy surfaces set up a disaster waiting to happen. The weight, rear wheel drive and hills (even mild ones), create conditions that this car cannot handle with all-weather tires, and I doubt snow tires would overcome these challenges. Guess I'm in the market for a 4x4 as this car was obviously not made for Canadian winter conditions. Thankfully, these don't strike too often on the Left Coast.

Thanks for your post. I have been debating between the S550 4matic and an LS460L. I am thinking now that putting snows on a rwd car will probably be inferior to allseasons on an awd, at least in situations where I take the car uphill (like my driveway). There is one place on my drive to work where there is a traffic light at the top of a hill. So, after stopping for the light, I would need to get going from a standstill.

I would appreciate any input from others who have tried an LS with snows on moderate inclines.

Last edited by syswei; 12-03-07 at 07:19 AM.
Old 12-03-07, 08:13 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

definitely snow tires. i am not familiar with snow, but my friend came from snow areas. even on his integra, without snow tires it's a joke
Old 12-03-07, 08:28 AM
Johnny
Pole Position

Originally Posted by syswei
Thanks for your post. I have been debating between the S550 4matic and an LS460L. I am thinking now that putting snows on a rwd car will probably be inferior to allseasons on an awd, at least in situations where I take the car uphill (like my driveway). There is one place on my drive to work where there is a traffic light at the top of a hill. So, after stopping for the light, I would need to get going from a standstill.

I would appreciate any input from others who have tried an LS with snows on moderate inclines.
If you get regular snow during winter in Connecticut, it's a no-brainer as far as I'm concerned. Yesterday, we had to deal with eight inches out here, this morning (8:00am), it's almost gone - we get warm rains which clear streets fast. I used to drive an Audi 100 AWD, and never got stuck anywhere, even with three year old well-worn tires. If you're really stuck on Lexus, your choices are slim with the LS - only the 600 has AWD. Other than that, the other lines like the IS250 etc., have them at a lower cost.
Old 12-03-07, 08:34 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 218 Likes on 146 Posts

Originally Posted by Burnaby
Only a few days a year tops, thankfully.

Yes, I was snowed in too yesterday in my cul-de-sac, when the snow keeps falling until mid afternoon. My Infiniti G35 coupe had some problems going UP the slope that leads out of my Cul-de-sac in the morning when I attempt to get out. I decided not to risk anything & stayed home.

Thankfully, the snow stopped mid afternoon & I quickly cleared our driveway(my back still aching a little now LOL), & with the temperature rising a bit, snow turned to rain & washed away most of the snow on the road by late afternoon, I was finally able to go out and do my grocery shopping . . .

Your car should be fine by now as the rain & higher temperature had cleared the roads by this morning.
Old 12-03-07, 09:25 AM
Helmar
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've experienced the same snow problems with my previous two LS's. There's a steep driveway out of our garage and I sometimes couldn't get out.

That was a major reason for selecting the AWD LS600hL over the LS460L.

I just put four Blizziak snow tires on the car.

Unfortunately, we didn't get much snow (yet) in this last storm, so I can't see how well it drives, but I'm looking forward to it.

HBH
Old 12-03-07, 09:37 AM
Patric
Pole Position

My 95 LS was not much good in the snow either. Thats why I stayed at home dinning on beans and crackers the last couple of days while the snow came and went.

Time to head out into the driving rain now to see how bad the new one aquaplanes in water.

Pat
Old 12-03-07, 09:46 AM
syswei
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Helmar
That was a major reason for selecting the AWD LS600hL over the LS460L.
If the 600hL had lithium ion batteries (e.g. more trunk space) and a lower price tag, I'd go for it. But I guess I won't be holding my breath waiting on those items.
Old 12-03-07, 10:09 AM
luxury1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

My last three five cars have been RWD (Porsche/Mercedes/BMW x 2/Lexus) and with snow tires I haven't ever been stranded. Add a set of four tires, a little weight in the trunk and I am off. The only exception is deep snow.
Old 12-03-07, 10:18 AM
passnu2
Lexus Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

well we had our first mild snow/ice in chicago this past weekend. i have an IS350 and had just put the snow tires on. i must say that this car just isnt good in the snow and in fact its the worst car i have had in the snow. last year i drove the car in about 3 snow storms with the tires (performance not all season) that where on the car. i must say the car drives the same. i think the problem with the car is that on the IS it doesnt allow you to gain speed! I had a few BMW (RWD) and have never experienced a car in the snow like my Lexus. the AWD is definetly nice to have and i drove and Audi S4 year round with high performance tires and never had any troubles. i just think its how the Lexus is set up and hearing this it just seems like our cars are not good in the snow. we only see a handfull of snow storms so i wont worry but i am not sure i would waste the money on snow tires. if you can get a 4 x 4 or something else as a 2nd vehicle then i would go that direction.
Old 12-03-07, 11:56 AM
Craig B
Pole Position

Received 54 Likes on 38 Posts

I have driven the LS 460 in a couple inches of snow. I have an SUV that I drive in the bad weather. Without snow tires, I wouldn't try the LS on snow. Before I purchased an SUV, I would rent an SUV at Enterprise when a lot of snow was in the forecast. I agree, the LS is not made for snow with all season tires...

Craig
Old 12-03-07, 01:02 PM
Johnny
Pole Position

One thing that unnerved me at first was coming off a side street onto a main road. I waited for the traffic to go by and hit the gas, slowly at first - no response, I gave it a little more gas - still nothing. Cars accumulating behind me and the LS was going nowhere. I looked down and lo and behold, that lonely Snow switch that never gets used was beckoning my attention. I hit it, and the car negotiated the turn with no problem.

Later, when I reached my destination on an un-cleared side street, all control disappeared as the snow was at least 8 inches deep. What a sinking feeling that was. It was in a hilly cul-de-sac, so I managed to park it safely at the end, not before some hairy maneuvers getting it there however.

I have the car back intact now, but I'll certainly be making a side trip to the dealer sooner than later.
Old 12-03-07, 01:58 PM
encore888
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Thanks for sharing your experiences, Burnaby, those were definitely some nerve-wracking moments! Hopefully you can find an arrangement which works best for you and that weather!

Quick Reply: Grrrr... Had to abandon LS tonight due to snow...