LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Is the LS really no fun?

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-07, 08:21 PM
Mike_TX
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

You guys have me worried now - I rented a Buick a few years ago (had no choice - it was all they had) and it was murder on the highway ... I felt out of control about 80% of the time and it wore me out just driving it.

Surely to God the LS isn't THAT bad! I'm planning some behind-the-wheel time next week if the weather clears and I'll know more about how I feel then. But even the reviewers who panned it didn't make it sound like a pig!

Old 12-10-07, 08:29 PM
carfanmd
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I'm 42 and I have owned lots of cars. German, Japanese, American all of them. The LS is luxury and refinement with an engine that cannot be beat. I consider it fun even though it is not a sports car (and I have owned many of them), but because it delivers a balance of smooth ride, stable handling, excellent electronics, wonderful acceleration and seats that can't be beat. To me that is fun. Of course some may think only an M5 or M6 or CL600AMG qualify. If that is the case those fine cars are for you. They have their place. All of this is subjective. I put a lot of weight into the "feel" of the car and for that the LS can't be beat. Is it a little "sedan" like, yes. Is it a sports car, no. Is it fun, to me yes. Frankly, anyone who drives it will either love it or they will crave something it was not designed to give. In the latter case you can easily find your happiness in the MB, BMW, Audi or other fine cars offered by the competition. To each his own. But please don't say the LS is for my grandfather or some old guy who does not know how to live. Nothing is further from the truth. Jump in, drive, enjoy the ML stereo, feel the acceleration and be comfortable. No need to squeeze into the cockpit of a small machine with loud engine sounds to be "fun" or to fit the image of what fun is. Just MHO.
Old 12-11-07, 06:30 AM
Big Jimm
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by rogersmith
Lexus designed the LS460 with a stiffened soft ride ... It's smooth all right,
but the downside is that it rolls through turns, and bounces unpredictably when
it hits something in the road. It does not give the driver confidence that the
car is controllable heading down the road at 120 mph unless the car is heading
in a straight line.
From my demo ride - I would have to agree with that synopsis. While I HATE
the electronics in my 08 E-350 (and LOVE the Lexus electronics) I do have to
admit that the MB would certainly be considered a more “fun” car to drive ..
when you consider its crisp, snappy, “sure-footed” handling.

Big Jimm
Old 12-11-07, 07:10 AM
Helmar
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Moved back from a "fun" car back to an LS

Earlier this year I moved back to an LS from a BMW 330xi.

Give me the LS any day.

The "fun" BMW was far too harsh and noisy on normal roads and highways. After about 15 minutes of driving, it was truly grating.

After 4 months (or so) of my LS and a 3500 mile road trip, I've found the LS to be absolutely superb and capable of handling all of the driving situations I've experienced so far with aplomb.

About the only things I miss is the manual transmission and the far superior voice recognition system.

4 months and 7,000 miles and, as usual for an LS, no problems.

Well, one problem. If I don't take care when sitting down, the leather on the seat can "fold" into an uncomfortable crease, which I must then reach down and smooth out.

HBH

Last edited by Helmar; 12-11-07 at 10:15 AM.
Old 12-11-07, 09:37 AM
GS3Tek

Received 167 Likes on 127 Posts

I agree that if you live on carvy mountainous road, it definitely wouldn't be "fun" if your car is all over the road. A bmw or MB sport package or the LS touring would be fitting.
Otherwise, if 90% of the driving is straight away, the stiff/firm suspension and choppy roads will get to you.

Me personally, I don't care about road feel. I don't want to feel every bump and seed on the road
Old 12-11-07, 01:05 PM
Big Jimm
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Big Jimm
From my demo ride - I would have to agree with that synopsis. While I Hate
the electronics in my 08 E-350 (and LOVE the Lexus electronics) I do have to
admit that the MB would certainly be considered a more “fun” car to drive ..
when you consider its crisp, snappy, “sure-footed” handling.
To add to the above: I don’t know the steering ratios of either Lexus or MB,
but I'm betting that MB has a higher ratio (takes less turns) than the Lexus.
Combine that, with a bigger circumference steering wheel and you have an
apparent less responsive steering control .. which “could” reduce the fun.

Big Jimm

Last edited by Big Jimm; 12-11-07 at 01:09 PM.
Old 12-11-07, 01:15 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by Big Jimm
To add to the above: I don’t know the steering ratios of either Lexus or MB,
but I'm betting that MB has a higher ratio (takes less turns) than the Lexus.
Combine that, with a bigger circumference steering wheel and you have an
apparent less responsive steering control .. which “could” reduce the fun.

Big Jimm
but in that case you are comparing the e class to the LS, that might not be fair. i believe the s class has larger steering wheel too. and similar the GS has smaller steering wheel for better / easier handling

i don't know about the ratio as well, but some ls460 (including mine) has VGS (variable gear steering) which helps to turn the wheel faster when you need / want to

(not trying to discount the driving feel of mb or bmw of course, which i agree)
Old 12-11-07, 01:38 PM
Big Jimm
Pole Position

Originally Posted by rominl
but in that case you are comparing the e class to the LS, that might not be fair. i believe the s class has larger steering wheel too. and similar the GS has smaller steering wheel for better / easier handling

i don't know about the ratio as well, but some ls460 (including mine) has VGS (variable gear steering) which helps to turn the wheel faster when you need / want to

(not trying to discount the driving feel of mb or bmw of course, which i agree)
Your points are well taken.

Big Jimm
Old 12-14-07, 02:01 PM
LWGarnesJr
Driver School Candidate

When I drive the LS It makes me Happy, Its quiet, comfortable, safe, gorgeous, and decievingly fast when sport shifted. It can get you into trouble with 380hp, But Its the VSC, Trac, ECB, , EBD, PCS and 8 airbags that keep you out of trouble!
Old 12-15-07, 10:06 AM
LexFather

The LS in action...

Old 12-15-07, 06:05 PM
lexus111
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Mike_TX
You guys have me worried now - I rented a Buick a few years ago (had no choice - it was all they had) and it was murder on the highway ... I felt out of control about 80% of the time and it wore me out just driving it.

Surely to God the LS isn't THAT bad! I'm planning some behind-the-wheel time next week if the weather clears and I'll know more about how I feel then. But even the reviewers who panned it didn't make it sound like a pig!

I have had my LS 460L for almost a year now with 18000 miles on it and I love this car. I had a 2006 Acura RL also that I owned for 7 months and then traded it in for the LS 460L. The RL has that Great super-handling AWD system but that was about it for me. The Mark Levinson Audio System in the LS blows away the Acura RL system... The Lexus is much faster feeling and much quieter than the RL.

The RL also left me wondering where the power was until you stepped on it so the V-tech could kick in. I couldn't stand the RL for that reason and many others. I took an $8,000 bath on the RL which was worth every penny once I got my LS.

I have had an 88 Acura Legend and a 93 Acura Legend and loved both of those cars. Then I needed a couple of SUVs so I then had 2 Suburbans and lastly an Escalade ESV for 3 years until I my kids started driving so that I could get back to a car again. I unfortunately traded in my Escalade for the RL and was very dissapointed.

The LS gives me a good amount of handling and a Great amount of power without having to jump on the accelerator.

My mpg with the Acura RL was averaging 15.4 mpg. The same driving habits with the 460L and maybe even a little more accelerating have been producing an average of 19.5 to 21 mpg.

So in a nutshell buy the car