LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Is the LS really no fun?

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-07, 07:42 PM
Mike_TX
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Question Is the LS really no fun?

The magazine reviews never fail to mention that while the LS460 is mechanically superior and well-built, it just isn't "fun to drive". Others like to say it just doesn't "have any soul". WTF does that mean?

I remember back in the days when I had my LS400's they were saying the exact same things, and frankly, I found them to be very satisfying rides.

Is it just that car mag guys like loud exhaust, manual trannies and sports car handling? I personally value a good ride, good power, good build quality, lots of "toys" (nav, bluetooth, heated and cooled seats, power everything, good sound system, etc.) a heck of a lot more than a high skidpad number, or a throbbing exhaust note.

Or is the LS *really* no fun to drive?

Old 12-05-07, 07:46 PM
Stoks
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Isn't the definition of fun relative?

I don't get it either. I think the magazines that say the LS460 isn't "fun" are using the wrong term.

I'm guessing that by their definition of fun, their favorite ride would be a go cart.
Old 12-05-07, 08:31 PM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

putting this kind of car through the same tests as sports sedans and weighing equally as tho its a sports sedan test is dumb too, needs to be a luxury flagship test
Old 12-05-07, 08:48 PM
Rocman
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Actually, I would have to say the car is not really fun to drive. It does what it is supposed to do, and I love the way it does it. It is a great car and I would buy another one. For me, if I want to drive something fun, I would get in one of my other cars. When I want to be comfortable, I get in the LS.

Drive an AMG or an M car, and you will know what they are talking about. That was not the driving experience I wanted from this car, which is why I got this car instead of one of those. I actually traded in my new M5 for my LS460L. When I get off of work, I am not trying to feel the road, or zip through corners.
Old 12-05-07, 08:54 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

the LS was never built to have fun. It's a large cruiser and it does a damn great job at it.
Old 12-05-07, 10:02 PM
Nospinzone

Received 424 Likes on 327 Posts

If by fun they mean a low slung car that requires the jaws of life to get in (and is even harder to get out of), rides like a Mack truck, breaks down more frequently than guests on Dr. Phil, and attracts more cops than flies on ****, I don't wanna have any fun!
Old 12-05-07, 10:12 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

like others say, what is "fun"? what's the definition? a lot of magazines, fun means performance, handling, road feel, response, etc...

if that's your definition, then the ls460 is definitely NOT the car. i am not saying the car is incapable. in fact it's a lot more capable then a lot of cars out there. but it's not "fun" in that sense.

if i were to buy a fun car? the ls460 would have been a mistake. but i want a car with presence, technology, class, status, and the ls460 is exactly what i look for.

i am never unhappy in the car, i enjoy driving it every single time. so it's a lot of fun to me for sure. but not in a sense of the car racing beside me
Old 12-06-07, 07:04 AM
Big Jimm
Pole Position

So far as being “fun to drive,” I would not say that the LS460
is really FUN to drive. When I test drove one, I did get a soft
luxury feel to it. Rode very nice.

I didn’t choose the 460. Instead, I got an 08 MB E-350 Sport.
You could say that it is “somewhat” fun to drive. Certainly
snappier handling. And, I like the smaller steering wheel on
the E-350. The LS steering wheel is the size of the 06 DTS
that I had. Too big. Like steering a ship. I think the smaller
wheel on my C6 has spoiled me. But, if you get used to a
smaller wheel, going back to a big “winding” wheel seems
laborious.

I believe that if the 460 had a smaller wheel, it would give a
crisper and “more fun” handling feel.

BUT, having said all that, I really don’t like the E-350 and am
sorry I bought it. Terrible, antiquated, pathetic electronics!
(And, I am an electronics lover!)

The hunt and peck Nav is 10 year old technology! The 460 has
GREAT electronics .. and, I loved it’s interior. The MB interior
replicates that of a nice pick up.

When the 2010 models come out, I will be dumping my E-350
and will again be considering Lexus.

Big Jimm

Last edited by Big Jimm; 12-06-07 at 07:08 AM.
Old 12-06-07, 07:57 AM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike_TX
Or is the LS *really* no fun to drive?
Merriam-Webster Definition of Fun: "what provides amusement or enjoyment."

Well, what would be your source of amusement and enjoyment? Is it being pampered and cradled by a luxo-cruiser, or being excited and thrilled by a sports sedan?

You have the have the right mentality while driving the LS to make it "fun": if you think you're driving a sports car, you won't have fun. If you know you're driving a luxo-barge, then you will have fun.
Old 12-06-07, 08:06 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 226 Likes on 153 Posts

I can have FUN driving BOTH a luxo-barge & a sports/sporty car, they can both be fun if they do what they're designed to do well, they just provide different kinds of satisfaction.
Old 12-06-07, 08:25 AM
Mike_TX
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I guess in a way, this was a rhetorical question. Several of you nailed it when you said it depends on your definition of fun.

For me, it's fun to laugh at bad roads because I know I won't feel every bump in my kidneys. It's fun to feel lots of horsepower when I head onto a freeway on-ramp, or when I pass a truck on a hilly two-lane highway.

It's fun to me to travel cross-country, knowing I'll do so in comfort and style, and that I'll be assisted and entertained by a good nav system, satellite radio, a good climate control system and a great sound system. And that I'll have enough room to relax and be comfortable in supportive, climate controlled seats that adjust to my personal preferences. And knowing also that I have a machine that has been meticulously engineered and constructed to be safe, quiet and dependable.

Okay, maybe it won't storm down Pikes Peak at 9/10's, and it won't whip a Z06 in a stoplight race, and it won't outdo a Porsche Cayman in the slalom. Who gives a flip? I don't do Pikes Peak runs, and I value my license too much to race Corvettes on the street, and slalom maneuvers are something you have to perform only very rarely in everyday driving. And 'Vettes and Caymans take a huge backseat to LS's in comfort and room and overall useability.

So, I guess it's just a matter of how you define it. And I think it's a shame in a way that car mag guys all seem to love Mazda Miatas and Triumph TR3's more than "real" cars.

But that's just me.

Old 12-06-07, 10:29 AM
CEOEngr
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Mike_TX
I guess in a way, this was a rhetorical question. Several of you nailed it when you said it depends on your definition of fun.

For me, it's fun to laugh at bad roads .................. engineered and constructed to be safe, quiet and dependable.

Okay, maybe it won't storm down Pikes Peak at 9/10's, ............take a huge backseat to LS's in comfort and room and overall useability.

So, I guess it's just a matter of how you define it. And I think it's a shame in a way that car mag guys all seem to love Mazda Miatas and Triumph TR3's more than "real" cars.

But that's just me.

Well put my fellow Texan.
Old 12-06-07, 12:22 PM
Johnny
Pole Position

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Fun is what I have with my SO.

The LS is a way to get from here to her.

So is any car or other means of transportation.
Old 12-06-07, 01:12 PM
ironhorse
Driver

to each their own, I have fun every time I drive my LS....
Old 12-06-07, 03:28 PM
LexFather

1. How much fun can anyone have in ANY 4500 lbs car? Its relative.
2. I have a belief people that review Lexus cars own Honda Elements and think they are sportier than a Lexus (lol, I kid).
3. Reviews looking for "fun" in 4500 sedans are missing the entire point.
4. Go to Europe, ask is a S350 fun or is a 735 if fun....

The internetz and car mags are getting more and more obsessed with the 1-5% of driving people do compared to the 95% of it.

Quick Reply: Is the LS really no fun?