LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Went with the S550 over the LS

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-07, 01:10 PM
gatorcb
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by texan629
Those articles are old post something recent.
Actually that first article is dated 8/3/07...but here you go...

Oct 2007

http://blogs.consumerreports.org/car...liability.html

"Despite this, Mercedes-Benz still hovers near the bottom in Consumer Reports' predicted reliability scores comparison."
Old 12-09-07, 06:04 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

wow that's some pretty nice deal on the 07 you got there!!! price isn't bad at all!
Old 12-09-07, 07:07 PM
encore888
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Mercedes-Benz has much more prestige than Jaguar or Range Rover. In the Luxury Institute national surveys, Mercedes consistently ranks in the top 3, whereas Jaguar and Range Rover have not reached that (Lexus has come in the top 5, and tied with Mercedes last year for #2).

Moreover, Jaguar and Range Rover, both marques, had quality problems long before Mercedes' reputation started to slide. They are also niche players--Range Rover only in SUVs, and Jaguar is on the verge of collapse (perhaps rescued by XF).

And, Mercedes vehicles have had class-leading innovations, technology, and reputation, which plus the badge has had them keeping large sales despite the quality problems. As for that, this is the latest CR data:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=317703

These include November 2007 CR results for the new S550. The difference between JD Power and CR is that CR does its own reliability testing in addition to reader surveys, while JD Power solely collects surveys and does not do testing. The latest JD Power survey also did mention electrical issues as still a potential gremlin in MB vehicles.

Here's hoping that the OP's S550 is one of those better-built vehicles. Besides, he's already planning to keep it within the warranty period, so that should help cover any issues.

Last edited by encore888; 12-09-07 at 07:19 PM.
Old 12-09-07, 07:18 PM
Nospinzone

Received 419 Likes on 323 Posts

I considered the S550 when I shopped for my car. I liked the exterior better than the LS460, but then I preferred the LS interior. The two factors that pushed it in the LS favor was the reliabilty (I keep my cars) and the $25,000 I saved.
Old 12-09-07, 07:24 PM
LexFather

Congrats on the S550, the car is wonderful!
Old 12-10-07, 04:37 AM
luxury1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by encore888
Mercedes-Benz has much more prestige than Jaguar or Range Rover.
I disagree with this statement. My Range Rover gets WAY more respect, admiration and looks than my Benz ever did. Your definition of prestige is subjective (as is mine). I think that one of the things that makes my Range Rover prestigious is the fact that it is unique where my Benz was very common. Others think the Range is pretigious because of the typical buyers; standard issue in Hollywood, common with professional athletes and with the Royal family.

In my mind there is nothing better than my Range Rover under $150,000.
Old 12-10-07, 10:27 AM
GS3Tek

Received 165 Likes on 126 Posts

Congrats on the new S550. Everyone have their own preferences.

If you're going to get a benz, it has to have at least the AMG package(of course the real deal AMG is better!) I love the perfect balance of their suspension: abc, airmatic, active bucket seats Otherwise, it's as plain and boring like a lexus....j/k
And you living on carvy roads need a vehicle with a sporty suspension.

Me personally, I still like the old 220 design. As crappy as their interior, I still like it over the new 221 (*cough* bmw interior ripoff *cough*....no offense). Hey I can bash b/c we 7 series in the family too.

Enjoy the new ride
Old 12-10-07, 05:20 PM
encore888
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by luxury1
I disagree with this statement. My Range Rover gets WAY more respect, admiration and looks than my Benz ever did. Your definition of prestige is subjective (as is mine). I think that one of the things that makes my Range Rover prestigious is the fact that it is unique where my Benz was very common.
Just wanted to clarify. I based my statement of prestige not on my personal, subjective definition but on the results of Luxury Institute surveys.

Luxury Brand Status Index (LBSI) - Most Prestigious Brands in the US luxury market:

2005: #1 Porsche, #2 Mercedes, #3 BMW
2006: #1 Porsche, #2 Mercedes, #3 Lexus
2007: #1 Porsche, #2 Lexus/Mercedes (tie), #3 BMW

http://www.theautochannel.com/news/2...13/003900.html

This survey measured Acura, Audi, BMW, Cadillac, Infiniti, Jaguar, Land Rover, Lexus, Lincoln, Mercedes, Porsche, and Saab.

Kudos to your Range Rover! It has the benefit of exclusivity, which is related to prestige, but also its own category

As for my personal view on which is the most prestigious brand, let's just say I think that some brands are great but not as prestigious as the ranking suggests, and other brands deserve more credit than the U.S. public may have suggested in this survey, and some brands were accurately measured.
Old 12-10-07, 06:15 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,393 Likes on 1,568 Posts

Originally Posted by gatorcb
"Despite this, Mercedes-Benz still hovers near the bottom in Consumer Reports' predicted reliability scores comparison."
CR is great at looking way in the rear view mirror. Maybe MB's in the early 2000's had problems, but they've come a long way since then.
Old 12-10-07, 06:21 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,393 Likes on 1,568 Posts

Originally Posted by irieblue
What really sold me on my 2007 MBZ S550 is the AMG suspension package. My car has Active Body control riding on 19" (255x40 )wheels . ABC keeps the car absolutely flat in corners and when accelerating and braking.

Through the santa cruz mountains or down the legendary HWY 1 in Northern California the car is an absolute joy to drive. You don't get that sensation of weigh transfer or body roll that you are used to in a large heavy vehicle.

Also, and this was a huge issue for me, none of the features in my S550 are locked out when driving, in fact when you turn the ignition on if you blink, you'll miss the brief warning that the driver should not be distracted by the Command Center.. Really Lexus get a clue here, that some people find your total control absolutely unacceptable.
Congrats! MB's ABC is a wondrous thing. And I agree, the overly restrictive nav/bluetooth/etc in the LS is a drag. I also think Lexus used way too much cheap plastic in the very busy center stack. I've also heard the voice recognition on the S is superior to Lexus but I don't know that first hand. If the money difference didn't concern me and I was looking at those 2 vehicles, I'd get the S class too, although the LS is still a VERY nice vehicle.

As a conversation piece, I'll take the night vision on my S 550 over the self park feature any day.
Do you find that feature useful or just a conversation piece?
Old 12-10-07, 09:36 PM
irieblue
Driver School Candidate

Compared to the Voice recognition in my 06 RX 400h, which I seldom use since it is so unreliable, the recognition in the S is very accurate. I haven't used it to enter an address in the NAV yet, but I do use it to tune radio stations and switching between the CD and Radio, it has never gotten my request wrong yet.

As for the night vision, I haven't had a reason to truly rely on it as yet since it does not provide much benefit when there are other light sources around (i.e Street lamps, other cars etc).

That said, It does outline the road very clearly, and allows you to see past the shadows which the headlights tend to cast in dark areas. For example I can see the bottom of dips in the road well in advance of getting to that dip. It does give an extra level of confidence that takes the stress out of driving in unfamiliar areas.

If only MBZ allowed you to record what the camera was seeing I could record all the crazy stuff I see while driving (at night).
Old 12-11-07, 07:02 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 219 Likes on 147 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
CR is great at looking way in the rear view mirror. Maybe MB's in the early 2000's had problems, but they've come a long way since then.
but this doesn't look too good for the S550, & it's the newest updated data :

Originally Posted by RON430

Enough data to say they're unreliable

Audi Q7 (V8)
Chevrolet Avalanche
Dodge Nitro
Mazda CX-7
Mazda CX-9
Mercedes-Benz GL450
Mercedes-Benz S550
Saturn Aura XR
Saturn Sky
Volkswagen GTI
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=317703

It's one of the few factors that made me pick the LS460L over the S550, otherwise, I would be just as happy with S550 overall, but I plan to keep the car for a long time . . .
Old 12-11-07, 07:14 AM
rjm
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I think you made a great choice. Congratulations. Mercedes quality has improved greatly in the last few years, although the S Series has more electronic problems than most. But if you are just going to keep it until the warranty runs out, that's not really much of a problem. the Merceds certainly beats the LS in the looks department....it's a great looking car.
Old 12-11-07, 07:23 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 219 Likes on 147 Posts

I've grown to like the looks of the S-class overall too, enough for me to buy one, but I still think the rear end is ugly, & I think the LS460L still looks better than S550 from all angles except the front.
The S-class design may attract more attention, but that does not necessarily equate aesthetic beauty to the eyes in my book, but it certainly has a lot of road presence.
Old 12-11-07, 09:35 AM
cjf_moraga
Rookie

Congratulations irieblue... Interesting... Your purchase reasons are almost exactly the same as mine... I am a former LS driver and still a current RX owner... Lexus have the worlds best navigation system... and they don't #%$^!@! let you use/update it in motion! After 3 Lexus I had just had enough! It makes me feel patronized by my car... It might seem irrational or emotional but it is THAT important...

I bought an S600 over the LS600h... With a full 7 year Warranty option, that it is a totaly new design, the flagship that Mercedes seems to have pulled the stops out for... I should be fine... I have had no problems whatsoever 2,700 miles in and the ride/performance of a V12 and the active ABC suspension is amazing... I did drive the LS600h, but it cannot compare with the S600 when it comes to ride or driving experience... (Or interior quality) No slight to the innovation of the LS600h or those who value it's other qualities...

BTW: Your sun-glasses can go in the flip town compartment above your head!

Chris

Quick Reply: Went with the S550 over the LS