LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Went with the S550 over the LS

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-07, 09:39 PM
Nospinzone

Received 419 Likes on 323 Posts

....they've had BUGS and reliability problems which they've been aggressively working to address.

And how will we know if they have been successful?
Old 12-14-07, 08:43 AM
Thermactor
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

With MB leasing prices as they are, they are a very attractive car to lease right now.
Old 12-14-07, 01:14 PM
allklr
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Thermactor
With MB leasing prices as they are, they are a very attractive car to lease right now.
Thats for sure! Even though I got the 460L I still go back and forth about which car I like better.
Old 12-14-07, 01:28 PM
GC300
Driver School Candidate

Good choice the S550 is a nice car!!! but you should have gotten the S65 AMG thats nice!!!
Old 12-14-07, 02:45 PM
rajwany
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Thermactor
could somebody give me some idea what kind of lease rates they r offering

thanks in advance
Old 12-14-07, 03:32 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by rajwany
could somebody give me some idea what kind of lease rates they r offering

thanks in advance
i don't have solid numbers, but between my 85k ls460l, and the 110k equipped s550, the payment for the s class was very close to what i pay for my ls460l. you get the idea
Old 12-14-07, 04:50 PM
dimapb
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just a bit more news...
I went to MB dealership today to look at S550 (out of curiosity) and to compare it to my 460L. MB will lock out NAVI just like Lexus starting in 2008. They told me it was a Federal Law. All 2008 year model have this. 2007 do not, but from what I've been told, it's very difficult to get 2007 S550 now. I was also a bit disappointed by the cheap interior of the S550. I think LS460 interior is much better (this is just my opinion) and also room wise S550 is a lot smaller in the rear then my LS 460L. It does have a bigger trunk. I did not test drive it because I was pressed on time, but I'm sure it would feel butch better then LS based on my previous experience with S430 and S500. Again, these are just my opinions and observations.
Old 12-14-07, 04:54 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by dimapb
Just a bit more news...
I went to MB dealership today to look at S550 (out of curiosity) and to compare it to my 460L. MB will lock out NAVI just like Lexus starting in 2008. They told me it was a Federal Law. All 2008 year model have this. 2007 do not, but from what I've been told, it's very difficult to get 2007 S550 now. I was also a bit disappointed by the cheap interior of the S550. I think LS460 interior is much better (this is just my opinion) and also room wise S550 is a lot smaller in the rear then my LS 460L. It does have a bigger trunk. I did not test drive it because I was pressed on time, but I'm sure it would feel butch better then LS based on my previous experience with S430 and S500. Again, these are just my opinions and observations.
are you serious on the nav?! now that's a bummer when a lot of people are asking for the unlocking.
Old 12-14-07, 05:08 PM
dimapb
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by rominl
are you serious on the nav?! now that's a bummer when a lot of people are asking for the unlocking.
That's what I've been told by the MB sales manager. And this was after the fact that I told him I hate my LS because of it. I guess he could have lied, but why would he not promote MB?
Old 12-14-07, 05:24 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

That's what I've been told by the MB sales manager. And this was after the fact that I told him I hate my LS because of it. I guess he could have lied, but why would he not promote MB?
umm, maybe it's time for another trip to the mb dealership to check out the mb
Old 12-14-07, 05:58 PM
Mike_TX
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

2008 Acuras still have no nav lockout, so I think your news is BS.

Old 12-14-07, 06:02 PM
vollandt
Driver

Originally Posted by Big Jimm
And, I believe that “prestige wise” on the street, it elicits much
more respect than the 460L.
Big Jimm
If by respect you mean noticed, and people coming up to you. Call me selfish, but I would rather enjoy automotive perfection with the less attention, that’s why I went with an LS460.
Old 12-14-07, 07:29 PM
cjf_moraga
Rookie

Smile

Just a bit more news...

--

Actually I do not think that is true at all. I have a brand new MY2008 S600 and there is no lockout in my Navigation. Heck, it was one of the things that drove me away from another LS! (This time round - I tend to switch back and forth )

Chris
Old 12-14-07, 10:56 PM
v8lvr
Driver School Candidate

Just a bit more news...
Do you have to make up story to feel better ? People respect your choice of the LS460L, it's nice car, but there's no need to make-up story & lie about other car brands. It makes you look stupid & give Benz & BMW owners reason to laugh at LS owners for silly story like this.

My dad just bought an 08 S550 (after trying out the BMW, Jaq, Lexus, and Audi). The navigation system could be controlled at all time. The only change from 07 is the 08 have better bird eye view (like the Infinity). This help with city driving.

And the S550 have as much rear leg room, if not more, than the LS460L, don't take my words for it, check out the spec. Said all you want about the quality of the S class, since it's your perception. But if there's a cubic feet, it's the same whether it's in a lexus, ford, or a mercedes, so stop making that up.

I'm likely to upgrade my 2 years old LX to the new one LX, and won't make up story like this about the GL550 .

Last edited by v8lvr; 12-14-07 at 10:59 PM.
Old 12-15-07, 07:58 AM
dimapb
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by v8lvr
Do you have to make up story to feel better ? People respect your choice of the LS460L, it's nice car, but there's no need to make-up story & lie about other car brands. It makes you look stupid & give Benz & BMW owners reason to laugh at LS owners for silly story like this.

My dad just bought an 08 S550 (after trying out the BMW, Jaq, Lexus, and Audi). The navigation system could be controlled at all time. The only change from 07 is the 08 have better bird eye view (like the Infinity). This help with city driving.

And the S550 have as much rear leg room, if not more, than the LS460L, don't take my words for it, check out the spec. Said all you want about the quality of the S class, since it's your perception. But if there's a cubic feet, it's the same whether it's in a lexus, ford, or a mercedes, so stop making that up.

I'm likely to upgrade my 2 years old LX to the new one LX, and won't make up story like this about the GL550 .
WOW!!!. Take it easy dude!!!. I'm not making up any stories and I don't need to feel better about my choices and especially you respecting me. I do not own a MB and that is why I went to MB dealership to find out if maybe I made a wrong decision and should look at S550 next time (in 1 year when my lease is up). The sales manager saw me pull up in my LS and asked me why I was looking at MB. I told him my biggest dislike was the NAVi lockout and he said that I will have the same problem in S550 starting with 2008 models because it's a federal law and that is what I posted here. I did not do any more research into it as I'm not switching the cars now anyway. I will do more research when it's time for me to turn in my LS. Now in ref to the rear leg room.... I don't care about the specs, it was simply my observation and I'm pretty sure it was correct. One of the reasons I went with LWB was because of the rear leg room. I have 3 kids that I take to school and other activities and needed as much room in the back as possible. When I looked at S550, it did not have that room. Maybe you were comparing SWB and S550?
BTW, why are you taking this so personal? Did I offend you or your ego? I simply posted my opinion and the information that I have received at the MB dealership. As a matter of fact, if you are interested, I can provide the name and the phone number of the sales manager I spoke with. You are welcome to call him and confirm.

Quick Reply: Went with the S550 over the LS