LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Went with the S550 over the LS

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-07, 08:31 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,394 Likes on 1,568 Posts

Originally Posted by Robarapta
& how many samples did those articles take to reach their conclusion of "much better", & if they told you, why & how do they pick those samples ? Do they follow a particularly sophisticated method of statistical sampling? If so , what are they & how did they do it ? Or are they hearsay or something similar ? Did you ask the same questions you raised for CR too before believing those articles you read are credible ? If so, why are they more convincing to you than CR ?
Good points and you're right, but I don't claim to have reached my conclusions by statistical methods.

Originally Posted by Nospinzone
If the models over the last couple years have by MB's own admission had problems, how can we believe the writers of articles who say they have been much better?
No MB a couple of years ago (I think) admitted big problems and said they're on a warpath to fixing them (see gengar's post).

Who are these writers? Did they drive the cars long term, like the owners who reported to CR? Did they actually buy, or lease, the cars with their own money, like the owners who reported to CR, or did MB provide the vehicles gratis?

Their articles raise more questions than provide answers.
More good points. Let's just say I don't think much of CR's methods and piety.
Old 12-17-07, 08:34 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

I just don't get why someone would want a large car like an LS460L with only a 12cu. ft trunk unless it's only a daily (or infrequent) driver and not used for trips with lots of luggage or big shopping trips.

I like the LS but would never get the exec seating package.
Old 12-17-07, 08:38 AM
syswei
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by PatsSoxfan
syswei, what do you mean by "standard trunk"? Most of the LS460L' s that show up at the dealer come equipped with rear seat upgrades and therefore only a 12cf trunk. I ordered mine without the rear seat upgrade for this purpose and I have a nice big 18cf trunk. According to the specs provided by romin above, the S550 has a 16cf trunk.
As far as I know there are 3 kinds of rear setups (not counting executive), and only the one with 4-zone climate control (a/c unit in the trunk) has a small trunk. The cars I've checked had the middle setup and so (I was told by the salesman) had the standard (largest available) trunk.

As far as awd vs rwd I still think there is a difference on hills, especially from a standing start; see the thread that starts "Grrrrr" by some fellow in Vancouver.
Old 12-17-07, 08:54 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
I just don't get why someone would want a large car like an LS460L with only a 12cu. ft trunk unless it's only a daily (or infrequent) driver and not used for trips with lots of luggage or big shopping trips.

because i will never take my ls to pick up someone from airport? there are better cars for that job to me

and missing exec package wont' solve your problem though, you need to eliminate rear seats upgrade, that's the key
Old 12-17-07, 09:16 AM
PatsSoxfan
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by syswei
As far as I know there are 3 kinds of rear setups (not counting executive), and only the one with 4-zone climate control (a/c unit in the trunk) has a small trunk. The cars I've checked had the middle setup and so (I was told by the salesman) had the standard (largest available) trunk.

As far as awd vs rwd I still think there is a difference on hills, especially from a standing start; see the thread that starts "Grrrrr" by some fellow in Vancouver.
I thought that there are two (I could be wrong) rear seat set-ups not counting the executive: 1) the rear seat upgrade (includes the the cool box and 4 zone AC; 2) without the rear seat upgrade. Mine comes with reclining rear seats (maybe this is the 3rd option?), but it still has the 18cf trunk.

I am sure you are correct and there is a difference on hills between awd and rwd but my point is that it is considerably improved over the LS430. For example, early this morning I climbed our rather steep parking lot (about 1-2 inches of snow and some ice underneath) to get to my parking spot with no trouble at all with snow tires. In the past, with the LS430, I had a lot of difficulty getting to my spot under similar conditions with snow tires.
Old 12-17-07, 09:18 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 219 Likes on 147 Posts

For my purpose, this car will be a weekend driver for me to take out family members/friends, & I no longer take cross-continent road trips anymore(been there, done that), we prefer to fly for our vacations, even within the continent.

As for shopping trips, you are talking to a person who always managed to do weekend grocery/shopping trips with a SC430 & never encountered any problems with space Yes groceries for 3 for a week is fine even with the SC430 trunk with the top up, & I often don't even need to put too much stuff in those back seats, so the LS460L exec.package will be no problem for sure.
A weekend getaway to resorts only a few hours' drive away should be fine too, it's how you pack & the kind of luggage bags you use, you shouldn't need too much luggage for a weekend trip anyway, unless you want to bring back boxes of wine from the wineries, but we aren't big drinkers & usually only buys a little.
I think the Touring Package would be more suitable for you - Tighter handling plus no rear-seat upgrade available = more trunk space.

Last edited by Gojirra99; 12-17-07 at 09:21 AM.
Old 12-17-07, 05:38 PM
Nospinzone

Received 419 Likes on 323 Posts

More good points. Let's just say I don't think much of CR's methods and piety.
Fair enough. I look at everything skeptically.

I have always looked at CR's ratings when I buy any purchase of consequence. I must say that I have found their ratings spot on. That having been said, I do realize they are also mere mortals. It was a substantial mea culpa during the child seat fiasco. However, I did like the fact they admitted their blunder publicly (most others would try to cover up or make excuses).

Another factor could be manufacturers stacking the deck with their own employees to distort "owner" evaluations. However, I don't know anywhere else you can get such long term owner evaluations as well as unbiased third party evaluations.

I have always been suspect of for profit entities evaluating any product. They depend on advertising and often accept gifts and other gratutities from the companies they are evaluating. In my mind they often compromise their objectivity, you know, like politicians!
Old 12-17-07, 08:02 PM
KILLERGS4
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

S550 AMG > LS460L
end of story...
Old 12-17-07, 08:04 PM
KILLERGS4
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

did you know MB offers FREE roadside assistance for the life of the car... I used to work for both Lexus and MB, S-class is the superior car... LEXUS can't touch the ABC suspension controller!!!
Old 12-17-07, 08:14 PM
PatsSoxfan
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by KILLERGS4
did you know MB offers FREE roadside assistance for the life of the car... I used to work for both Lexus and MB, S-class is the superior car... LEXUS can't touch the ABC suspension controller!!!
I respect your opinion, but I disagree with it.
Old 12-17-07, 08:53 PM
gs400jon
Advanced

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

I just don't get it. Why are people hung up about comparing two cars that have a base price difference of $16K?
Old 12-17-07, 09:24 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by gs400jon
I just don't get it. Why are people hung up about comparing two cars that have a base price difference of $16K?
Maybe because base prices are meaningless?

Most people buy medium to fully loaded models and many lease anyway, and with German manufacturers offering attractive leases the ownership costs can come out not far off (not that I've fully analyzed it).

Last edited by bitkahuna; 12-18-07 at 02:53 PM.
Old 12-17-07, 11:36 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by gs400jon
there are a lot of ways to define cars in the same league. price is one way, but a lot of times people might define them by class, size, etc... that's why the s class is put together with the ls and 7 series (which ls has the advantage on price)

if you group them by price, then mb will have to take the e class to the contest
Old 12-20-07, 10:28 PM
vanlex
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Congrats - great car. I love their looks. My business partner has one, I drove it a couple weeks ago and instantly noticed (appreciated) the torque of the larger engine.
Old 12-22-07, 09:59 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by KILLERGS4
S550 AMG > LS460L
end of story...
Thanks for putting that in 900 font. There is no ownage here, both have plusses and minuses. Neither is far superior to the other.

Please try not to provoke "flames".

Quick Reply: Went with the S550 over the LS