LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Went with the S550 over the LS

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-08, 12:28 PM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 219 Likes on 147 Posts

S550 AMG is no real AMG. It usually only means S550 with the AMG kit, which is an option worth a few thousand dollars on a S550.

The real AMG S-class sedans are the S63 & S65.
Old 01-26-08, 05:24 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by Robarapta
S550 AMG is no real AMG. It usually only means S550 with the AMG kit, which is an option worth a few thousand dollars on a S550.

exactly. s63 and s65 are the real deal. as long as it says s550 at the back, it's really no amg
Old 01-26-08, 06:33 PM
INHOCJP
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Robarapta

Amen brother

To the OP, beautiful S550...love the color
Old 01-26-08, 06:41 PM
timeToy
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I was thinking about the real thing, not some poser badge engineering...
Old 01-26-08, 07:50 PM
richonenz
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

No one seems able to define " Status "
So how does one judge when it should be lost ??
There is no doubt that in 89 when the first LS came out that MB got one hell of a kick up the **** .
They hadn't been building as great a car as they could or should have been .
Personally I think that with the reliability problems MB have had since the first LS came along that they have " lost " their " Status "
Part of that status is being the best built car in the world and having awesome reliability , that is no longer the case , Lexus has been a better built car and way more reliable for many many years now and MB don't seem to be able to do anything about it ?
Notice that I used the word " Built " , I'm not talking about who or what is fastest or handles better or even looks better , this is about the quality of the build , how long can MB trade on it's past history ??
I would also say that MB in the bigger cars really had no one competing directly with them , the 7 series is not really a direct competitor for the bigger Merc's and no other brand was made in the same numbers , so to a certain degree it can be said that if you are the only one in the race then you must be the best by default !!
When the LS came along it showed MB how it should be done !!
Down with MB.....long live the new king !!
Old 01-26-08, 10:10 PM
dmvp29
Lead Lap

one word to answer ur question STATUS. either u have it or u dont. S550 definately has it. also I dont buy cars for others I buy it for myself, for my satisfaction.
I've never really considered the car one owns to be a significant factor in determining one's status. Regarding the tiny bit of "status" that a car does impart - it's wholly a function of price paid. $87K vs $71K does not indicate some super high disparity in status to me especially when you consider what I said initially - the car's contribution to "status" as a whole is very little to begin with anyway.

Rest assured I think the S550 is a terrific car. It's the car my brother purchased when he moved to California recently for his new position. I think it's great. However, I just don't buy the "higher status" argument for considering mercedes to be above lexus anymore. As a previous Mercedes owner, though, I do think Mercedes trumps lexus in a few key technical areas and falters in a few others.
Old 01-26-08, 10:57 PM
rajwany
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by richonenz
No one seems able to define " Status "
So how does one judge when it should be lost ??
There is no doubt that in 89 when the first LS came out that MB got one hell of a kick up the **** .
They hadn't been building as great a car as they could or should have been .
Personally I think that with the reliability problems MB have had since the first LS came along that they have " lost " their " Status "
Part of that status is being the best built car in the world and having awesome reliability , that is no longer the case , Lexus has been a better built car and way more reliable for many many years now and MB don't seem to be able to do anything about it ?
Notice that I used the word " Built " , I'm not talking about who or what is fastest or handles better or even looks better , this is about the quality of the build , how long can MB trade on it's past history ??
I would also say that MB in the bigger cars really had no one competing directly with them , the 7 series is not really a direct competitor for the bigger Merc's and no other brand was made in the same numbers , so to a certain degree it can be said that if you are the only one in the race then you must be the best by default !!
When the LS came along it showed MB how it should be done !!
Down with MB.....long live the new king !!

hey is my sig not visible,I own 2 lexus cars. reliability wise nobody could beat lexus. hands down. Gadget wise Lexus, but design wise u have to admit MB did a fantafaboulous job on the S550. even though they rank low on reliability, imho it still holds its own in a crowd. STATUS QUE

Give Credit Where Credit Is Due

Down With MB...R U 4 REAL
Old 01-27-08, 12:53 PM
woppenhe
Rookie

Obviously there is a difference between the buyers of these cars, but I don't think we want to go there.
Old 01-27-08, 03:46 PM
Maurice
Driver

"Went with the S550 over the LS"

I wish I would have made the same choice.....
Old 01-27-08, 04:57 PM
rajwany
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Maurice
"Went with the S550 over the LS"

I wish I would have made the same choice.....

why would u say that
Old 01-27-08, 08:11 PM
davidsong
Lead Lap

i currently own a couple of lexus and couple of mb. personally, if u bought the ones build with no problem, then its a great car, no matter if its a lexus or a mb.

as for the status issue, well, i am chinese and in my culture majority of the time, they think bimmer and mbz are always the best.... dont know why, but they just think that. they think if you drive it, then you are rich and have higher status, no matter if you own a 08 LS600L which cost over 100k, they will always think its a lexus, not a mbz or bimmer....

enough said, i am going for more drinks...
Old 01-27-08, 08:14 PM
LexFather

When Toyota studied the luxury market in the 1980s, they found that Prestige/Image was the #1 reason people bought the cars.

This is probably still true today, though Lexus has made incredible strides in a short 18 years.
Old 01-27-08, 08:56 PM
Maurice
Driver

Originally Posted by rajwany
why would u say that
Unresolved wind noise. Cavalier attitude from Lexus corporate.
Old 01-27-08, 09:14 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by davidsong
i currently own a couple of lexus and couple of mb. personally, if u bought the ones build with no problem, then its a great car, no matter if its a lexus or a mb.

as for the status issue, well, i am chinese and in my culture majority of the time, they think bimmer and mbz are always the best.... dont know why, but they just think that. they think if you drive it, then you are rich and have higher status, no matter if you own a 08 LS600L which cost over 100k, they will always think its a lexus, not a mbz or bimmer....

enough said, i am going for more drinks...
i guess wa people are still a bit old school? here i still see some people with that kind of mindset, but i do see tons of them doing lexus as the "new blood trend"
Old 01-27-08, 10:57 PM
davidsong
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by rominl
i guess wa people are still a bit old school? here i still see some people with that kind of mindset, but i do see tons of them doing lexus as the "new blood trend"
lol.... that ur wrong. although i currently reside in WA state, but i just moved up here from so cal couple of months ago. i dont interact with WA ppl; hated them, horrible + slow driver.

anywaz, not here to argue but rather just pointing out some things i have noticed... mayb its just my relatives/ families/ friends/ neightbors that judges, but, the most important thing is you chose to purchase the car because you loved it.

Quick Reply: Went with the S550 over the LS