LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Why pimp out your LS?

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-07, 08:53 PM
usermel
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Smile Anyway, I have no problem with what others choose to do with there money

Let me say, please dont lay me out like some of you have done the gentleman who started this post. I have no problem with others adding to there cars, its there choice. Thank you! I didnt intend to offend anyone so before you give me the business read my comment like what my intent was, an opinion, not an order on how to live your life.

Thanks fellow members,

L.G.N.M
Old 12-13-07, 08:57 PM
tennisstar
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post

ditto derrick.....or maybe that was his goal?
Old 12-13-07, 09:08 PM
Isfast
Lexus Test Driver

Received 37 Likes on 24 Posts

It is a waste of time to reply to the original post. The individual is wondering why people mod cars. I am wondering how one cannot have the mental capacity to come up with possible reasons as to why people mod cars.
Old 12-13-07, 09:09 PM
LexFather

Well I guess when people buy a house, they shouldn't modify them either? No better grass? To hell with better furniture. You know what, forget that pool in the backyard....

Time to throw the watches out, b/c well, thats modifying myself as well.
No reason to wear different color contact either, thats just silly.

You know I should just eat a plain hamburger. Nothing extra, just a bun and a burger. No bacon, no cheese, no lettuce, etc.

Life is about customization. People want TO EXPRESS THEIR INDIVIDUALITY. Some people do that through tattoos for instance.

Some people get a masters degree. Some get a law degree. Some start their own business. People do things to make themselves happy and to show their spirit.

Customized cars have been around for decades. In this particular case, people modify a LS to be different. The LS is not a giant selling car, around 36k a year and some people want their LS to be different to others around.

We have all been to the mall and I am sure when we drive stock ( or still do), you have seen your car many times, sometimes in the same color (don't drive a Camry or Accord lol). Modifying makes your car different, it shows your personality.
Old 12-13-07, 09:26 PM
CK6Speed
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by D2-AUTOSPORT
It never ceases to amazes me, the individuals that join a website chat forum devoted to cars and wonder aloud why they are being modified.

Quite obviously this is a automotive enthusiast oriented site. Along with automotive enthusiasts comes some sort of enhancement, or personalization (even if its just a V1 radar detector, 3M clearbra, or a vanity plate). So my question is, why post such a useless question? Its almost like walking into a gym and asking "whats the big deal with this fitness crap?".

Just the wrong place to pose such a question.

What also amazes me is why people are so concerned with what other people do with their money. If they earn it, they can burn it for all I care. People can waste their own money however they see fit.

For me personally, why I would choose to modify my LS400 (Don't have an LS460) is because from my perspective there is no such thing as a perfect car. All cars are a compromise to appeal to the majority. I'd even mod an Enzo Ferrari because I think there are better looking rims and better audio systems out there.

From my perspective, there are two types of cars. 1) Basic transportation. If that is what you desire get the cheapest car that gets the job done. 2) Toys for grown ups. Anything more in a car then that what gets you from point A to point B is just pure luxury. No one needs AC, a radio, power seats, leather, and pretty much any accessory in their cars. They are all nice things to have though. So, if you are buying a luxury car, chances are you want something more than basic transportation. If mass marketed please the majority product is fine for you that is great. For those that want a little more personal taste in the cars so be it. Just like 1Sick said. People furnish their homes and paint their houses to their own taste. You spend most of your time in the house so why paint the exterior of the house the color you like? Might as well just leave it white, live in a white dry walled house, sit on a brown fabric couch, watch a 19" CRT TV, listen to AM radio....The list goes on.
Old 12-13-07, 10:04 PM
GS3Tek

Received 168 Likes on 127 Posts
Smile

Originally Posted by kidalex
I know that the rims and body kids have a great appeal with 15 year olds who watch MTV all day, but those who spend $80K on a car?? Why?

Is the fact that you're driving a top of the line luxury sedan not enough? You're still trying to get noticed?

I'm really lost for words when I see cars like that. Why??

Well, I think part of the problem is right there.
Pimp my ride is about throwing crappy $$$ products onto a crappy car....monitor on the mudflaps, rainbow brite skittle colors, 747 wings, hot burning flame decals.....I like the show btw

Surely you can not equate pimp my ride as the gold standard for "pimping" (a better term would be modify) your car?

Without being too rude, may I ask how old are you? I'll ASSume you're young b/c I don't think anyone older will call themself "kid"alex.
I'm going to be general and say:
If you're young, I can see the questioning since you are still fresh.
If you're old (I respect my elders), you might be on the conservative side.

I agree with D2 as to why people join an auto enthusiast forum and can't understand modifying a car. No one says you have to agree with the style....everyone have different taste and is respected for that.
Besides MTV has gone waaaaay downhill. No wonder it's polluting today's generation

Besides, if you don't like to "personalize", then you wouldn't mind wearing white short sleeve button shirt with black pant and black loafer all your life?

Lastly, like what rominl said, mercedes and bmw have the in-house tuner that seems like it came stock unlike lexus where it doesn't and people have to do it and customize it themselves.

Take no offense-you asked and we answer in many different ways.
Old 12-13-07, 10:38 PM
r00kie
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am curious to know if there are any cars out there that has not been modified in one form or another by someone

I'd also like to know what you think about those who modify their Lambos, Ferraris, etc??

You need to enjoy your car and not worry about what others do to theirs. The world will be a boring place if we all thought the same.

Last edited by r00kie; 12-13-07 at 10:51 PM.
Old 12-13-07, 10:56 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by r00kie
I am curious to know if there are any cars out there that has not been modified in one form or another by someone

I'd also like to know what you think about those who modify their Lambos, Ferraris, etc??

You need to enjoy your car and not worry about what others do to theirs. The world will be a boring place if we all thought the same.
In my reading it seems with the "old guard" of Ferrari owners, they look down at modifying Ferrari's. They feel stock is how "Enzo" meant it.

A lot of wealthy people buy Lambos and Porsches and modify them b/c the owners and crowd is more open to mods.
Old 12-14-07, 05:12 AM
luxury1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I agree that your post was really stupid Alex.

I am not doing many mods but I am adding a new set of 5 star rims to it to give it a better appearance. The standard 18" rims look they would be a perfect match for a Toyota Camry but not my LS.

My other mod is darkening my windows because I like the increased privacy.

To each their own but I wouldn't bash those who like to personalize their cars.
Old 12-14-07, 05:18 AM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,283 Likes on 1,389 Posts

Originally Posted by GS3Tek
I'll ASSume you're young b/c I don't think anyone older will call themself "kid"alex.
Originally Posted by luxury1
I agree that your post was really stupid Alex.

Folks please cease the rude commentary; it is not needed to make your point.
Old 12-14-07, 06:34 AM
19psi
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

why? are you jealous that other people's modded cars get postive attention while yours goes unnoticed? did someone park next to you and make yours look like a grandma car?
if you don't understand why people modify cars, it can never be explained. some people, including me, would modify anything. if i had a ferrari, i'd modify it with a twin turbo kit, suspension, wheels, etc. it doesn't matter. stock sucks.
any old grandma with money can go buy an expensive car, just becuase you can buy the car doesn't mean anything. it's what you do with it after you buy it that matters.
Old 12-14-07, 06:39 AM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,283 Likes on 1,389 Posts

Guys this is the final warning to keep this thread polite or it will be closed.
Old 12-14-07, 09:43 AM
GS3Tek

Received 168 Likes on 127 Posts

Originally Posted by DaveGS4
Folks please cease the rude commentary; it is not needed to make your point.
I apologize-it wasn't meant to sound rude. If anything, I'm the *** for assuming wrong
Old 12-14-07, 11:02 AM
RA40
Super Moderator

Received 470 Likes on 362 Posts

I enjoy seeing modded cars and how people want express themselves. The range varies, some I really like and others, not so. As Sick said, it is about expressing individuality and there are a variety of motivations behind that.
Old 12-14-07, 11:26 AM
USLEX
Intermediate

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

All of your stock LS460's are crap compared to mine! I pimped mine out with aftermarket all weather mats....

Daryl has me contemplating puting sheep fur seat covers in though. I did buy the purple pimp suit he has so I am not that original.

Some of you think this post may be dumb but I did sleep in a Holiday Inn Express last night......

Quick Reply: Why pimp out your LS?