LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

driver side ticking / rattle sound?

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-07, 09:38 AM
newrr
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default driver side ticking / rattle sound?

Hi,
Have a LS460 SWB 2007. Noticed a very minimal creak / ticking sound of plastic? from the driver side after 1000 mile service. NOthing was really done on the driver side except for centering of the steering which I was told did not require any removal of parts inside.
Initially, it sounded like it's from the lower driver side panel, so I asked them to fix that...was told it's fixed...but now it's significantly more on any uneven surface you could hear it. And I think the sound actually is coming from above maybe around the windshield area? IT's very hard to isolate.

Just wonder if anyone has this problem? I've pushed around all the panels and it doesn't seem to be loose and doesn't eliminate the noise. I am wondering if this is the Windshield Tick noise from the service bulletin, but I am not sure if it's really coming from there.

Any suggestions will be great.

Thanks
Old 12-15-07, 09:47 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

there is a tsib for the rattle / squeak from the dash area. there are some clips on the edge of the dash where it meets the windshield. you can ask your dealership to fix that. unfortunately, that means the dash has to come out. if done right, it should help eliminate the problem
Old 12-15-07, 10:16 AM
Stoks
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

newrr,

Yes, I had the problem you are describing as well. Henry is right, in that there's a tsb for this problem.

I took my car in recently at 5k to do the first service and asked them to fix the "creaking", "rattling" noise coming from the forward area of the dash. They took the dash completely out and exchanged out some existing clips holding things in place, with new ones that had more padding. COMPLETELY eliminated the sound.

Also, when I got my ride back, I could not find any evidence that the dash had been removed. Everything was exactly the way it was prior to service, minus the rattle of course.

Good luck!
Old 12-15-07, 06:40 PM
ccds
Driver

here is somemore info on the dash rattle:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...ht=dash+rattle

Old 12-16-07, 12:28 AM
newrr
Driver School Candidate

Default rattling doesnt' seem to be from dash

Thanks for the suggestions. Unfortunately, this sound doesn't seem to be coming from the dash. I've listened to it more closely, and it seems to be from above..aroudn where the sunvisor is..more like behind is as the sound is not from the sun visor.

I've seen the TSIB for the dash but mine is after the production change code..so I dont' think it's relating to this...

I am thinking it's more related to the TSIB for the tick/creak/rattle from the top of the windshield area...not sure how well that fix work...seems like it's for all the LExus vehicle and some GS posts say it didn't fix it.

IT's also getting more apparent and I am getting very annoyed by it.
Old 12-16-07, 08:47 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by newrr
Thanks for the suggestions. Unfortunately, this sound doesn't seem to be coming from the dash. I've listened to it more closely, and it seems to be from above..aroudn where the sunvisor is..more like behind is as the sound is not from the sun visor.

I've seen the TSIB for the dash but mine is after the production change code..so I dont' think it's relating to this...

I am thinking it's more related to the TSIB for the tick/creak/rattle from the top of the windshield area...not sure how well that fix work...seems like it's for all the LExus vehicle and some GS posts say it didn't fix it.

IT's also getting more apparent and I am getting very annoyed by it.
i don't know about the ls460, but i know for cars like the gs350, there is a tsib for clips right by the roof lining and the windshield as well. i suppose the design of the ls460 is pretty similar to the gs350, if so, similar fix will apply
Old 12-16-07, 11:26 AM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 534 Likes on 283 Posts

Deja vu, is this the GS?

Seems like all the models are plagued with the dash ticking noise. I had this issue in a previous loaner ES and IS as well.
Old 12-17-07, 08:20 AM
newrr
Driver School Candidate

Default tick on driver side roof?

No, mine's a LS460. But I beleive the service bulletin is for all models.. and it's brand new.. just 2000 miles. I don'tknow how well the fix will be. Did the sound you experience come when it's on bumpy road?

I've pretty much isolated it to the roof area just behind the sun visor...so maybe top windshield area...don't find anything lose at all.
Old 12-17-07, 08:50 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...highlight=tsib

go to the link and look at the tsib, there is one i believe
Old 12-26-07, 04:43 PM
Lexuskid
Driver School Candidate

Having owned LS400 in the past, I recently bought the LS460. I was shocked to see after 2000 miles driving that there was a significant rattling sound coming from dashboard (both driver side as well as passenger side). I gave the car for repairs to the dealership today. I mentioned about the TSIB to the Service Department, but they said that this is the first LS460 that they saw with this problem. I hope that they fix the problem well, as I am sparingly using my car and love it a lot. Any comments?
Old 12-26-07, 04:51 PM
ccds
Driver

Lexuskid go here for somemore info on the dash rattle:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...ht=dash+rattle

Old 12-26-07, 05:03 PM
Lexuskid
Driver School Candidate

Thanks CCDS!

I saw the picture and the report on the work done. I hope that mine comes out with positive results. It is a shame that such a quality oriented car should give this problem so soon.
Old 12-27-07, 02:44 PM
Stoks
Rookie

Lexuskid,

I had that repair done on my LS460 recently and after I received it back, there was absolutely NO rattle from the dash area while driving. The fix worked like a charm.

Also, there was absolutely no sign that the dash had been removed and you could not tell visually that any repair work had been done.

Everything came back great!
Old 12-27-07, 07:14 PM
ccds
Driver

When mine was repaired it came back just like Stoks

couldn't even tell it was worked on

Old 12-28-07, 09:04 AM
Lexuskid
Driver School Candidate

Hi ccds and Stocks, and others:

After I received my car from dealership yesterday for curing the dashboard rattle problem, I noticed another squeaky sound coming from rear seat area. This seat is across driver’s seat. I wonder if you have come across this problem. What could be the source of this sound? It could be seat or the door area. I may have to sit in the back and have someone drive for me.

By the way, the dash problem seems to have gone! Thank God.

Quick Reply: driver side ticking / rattle sound?