LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

don't crack your windshield!

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-07, 06:48 PM
Mike_TX
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

In most states, a rock to the windshield is treated no differently from a dent from a hailstone or a crunch from a falling tree limb. It's all under something called "Comprehensive Coverage" (or "Other than Collision" in some places), and it's normally subject to a deductible.

But it's a safety issue, too, and if the crack is too big, or in the wrong place, you'll fail your annual safety inspection until you get it fixed. But most of us carry deductibles of $100 or $200, so it's not a huge hit. And glass companies openly advertise here that they'll absorb your deductible anyway (and they do).

Old 12-18-07, 06:49 PM
RFFG
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

wow that's a lot of $$$
Old 12-18-07, 07:45 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike_TX
In most states, a rock to the windshield is treated no differently from a dent from a hailstone or a crunch from a falling tree limb. It's all under something called "Comprehensive Coverage" (or "Other than Collision" in some places), and it's normally subject to a deductible.

But it's a safety issue, too, and if the crack is too big, or in the wrong place, you'll fail your annual safety inspection until you get it fixed. But most of us carry deductibles of $100 or $200, so it's not a huge hit. And glass companies openly advertise here that they'll absorb your deductible anyway (and they do).

the safety issue is what bugs me. i have no problem with deductible, but i am kind of against the idea of going on my record
Old 12-18-07, 07:52 PM
PatsSoxfan
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by rominl
so last week when i was driving on the freeway a rock flew by, bam, and upon hearing that noise i knew something cracked.... so i got this dime size crack on the windshield.

sigh.... i eventually got it repaired (thank god it's not too big) for 60 bucks, but while toying with the idea of replacing the windshield, guess what i found.

a brand new windshield from lexus is whopping 1800 bucks! there are several windshield available for the ls460, including the rain sensors (integrated into glass) and what not. i guess mine is probably among the most expensive, but man, 1800 bucks, that's quite some money.

i talked to couple of glass repair/replace shop. since the car is sill so new, none of them have any glasses available for this car yet. factory ones are the only options

now i pray i don't crack it again
Sorry to hear this romin. What a bummer! I had at least a couple windshields replaced over the years and one repaired (just 9 months ago on my LS430) and my insurance company paid for everything. I thought this was the rule throughout the entire country. I guess you need to move to the Midwest and also deal with snow
Old 12-18-07, 08:52 PM
USLEX
Intermediate

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Nospinzone
I guess insurance coverage is different in Massachusetts. If your windsheild cracks for any reason (stones, vandalism, sudden heating or cooling) its fully covered (no deductible). Over the years I've had windshields on my car or my wife's car replaced for all those reasons at no cost.
True for Florida too and it doesn't go against your record. Wish all states were like that.

Last edited by USLEX; 12-18-07 at 08:55 PM.
Old 12-18-07, 09:27 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by PatsSoxfan
Sorry to hear this romin. What a bummer! I had at least a couple windshields replaced over the years and one repaired (just 9 months ago on my LS430) and my insurance company paid for everything. I thought this was the rule throughout the entire country. I guess you need to move to the Midwest and also deal with snow
wish it's a rule but it's cool, have grown not to get gray hair for this
Old 12-19-07, 02:53 AM
CK6Speed
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I can believe the $1800 for the LS460 glass. Heck, a few years ago when my 93 SC400 windshield cracked a new glass from Lexus would have cost me $700. With the new glass technology, rain sensors, UV protection, and all that new stuff that came out since 1993 I'm not surprised Lexus charges that much. OEM Lexus parts are expensive.
Old 12-19-07, 05:30 AM
alsilverbullet
Instructor

Received 60 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Nospinzone
I guess insurance coverage is different in Massachusetts. If your windsheild cracks for any reason (stones, vandalism, sudden heating or cooling) its fully covered (no deductible). Over the years I've had windshields on my car or my wife's car replaced for all those reasons at no cost.
The same applys to S. Florida. Windshields are covered with no deductible.
Glad to hear you got it fixed for a minor cost.
Old 12-19-07, 05:43 AM
LeslieRC
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by rominl
if a crack is small enough (usually the size of a quarter is the reference point), they can repair it by putting some sort of adhesive into the crack. it will NOT remove the crack visually, but it will bong the glass together and prevent the crack from spreading.

so don't think the crack will go away. it might go away SOME, but you should still be able to tell
GEICO used the process you described on our GX and the crack is now barely visible. There's only a slight, small mark where the crack used to be.
Old 12-19-07, 08:23 AM
Mike_TX
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Windshield breaks don't go against your driving record in Texas, nor do they affect your premiums. But of course, an insurance company could deem you an undesirable risk if you turn up with too many of them and non-renew you. I don't think they are allowed to cancel your coverage for not-at-fault incidents.

My insurance agent tells me State Farm doesn't raise an eyebrow at one a year, although if you broke one every year, year in and year out, I think they would eventually get tired of you. Especially at $2,100 a pop.

Old 12-19-07, 03:50 PM
Nospinzone

Received 418 Likes on 322 Posts

What never ceases to amaze me about insurance companies is how upset they get if you have to file a claim. They just want you to pay and pay premiums and never ever have a claim.

Many years ago my wife was being kicked out of AAA. She had a lemon of a Saab 900S that was constantly breaking down. With her sixth breakdown in one year, they told her they would not cover it. I closely read all of their literature (she had AAA Plus no less) and there was nothing in there about how many claims you were allowed.

My wife is too accepting of things, but I raised holy hell. I told them I'd go to the State Attorney General, the Boston Globe, the Better Business Bureau and anyone else I could think of if they left her stranded. They backed off, but it left a very bad taste in my mouth. I have no problem if they stated up front how many claims you were allowed, but right up to today there is no mention of that anywhere in their literature.

OK, rant over.
Old 12-19-07, 05:32 PM
zzzzdoc
Lead Lap

I once had to replace the rear windshield of a Porsche 924. It cost $2639.56. That was in 1986. Can't imagine what they cost now.
Old 12-19-07, 07:56 PM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 533 Likes on 282 Posts

BMW glass is about the same. And i'm only talking about the 3 & 5 series.
Old 01-25-08, 07:20 PM
JKarger
Rookie

Henry

So the wife came home with a crack in the windshield (DAM). First I wanted to kill her, because I read your thread earlier. So I took it down to a shop and indeed it was to be 1800 dollars. What choice do I have since it has already started to spread about 12 inches by now. So he has to order the glass, so I leave the car so he can prep it so that when the glass comes in he can pop it in. Two days go by and I call him, to say the least, a little concerned. He calls lexus and they proceed to tell him that the glass is on back order now until Feb 13th and that the sells person mis-informed him that it was in stock. He calls back and talks to the manger of lexus, after a long discusion with him was told that there is another windshield that has a heater in it that is an upgrade from him for an additional $400. WTF are you kidding me so my options are to wait 3-4 weeks or pay $2200 now. After some words he agreed to do it for the original amount so I should get it back tommorrow but we will see. After all this I said F it im turning it in to my insurance which informed me that it wouldn't go against me and all I have to pay is the deductible.

Lexus is definitaly having some problems and unless they straighten up I highly doubt that I will be buying another.

Jason

Last edited by JKarger; 01-25-08 at 07:24 PM.
Old 01-25-08, 11:45 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

jason, i think you are overreacting. do you really just trust whatever the guy tell you? i don't know how long the back order is, if there is one, but i agree if it's 4 weeks it's kind of stupid. i doubt it's going to take that long though

moreover, heated front windshield? have you heard it before? i certainly haven't. i don't know of an option on the ls460 where there is a heated windshield? i know of the rain sensor.

bottom line, i wouldn't just trust what the guy say like that. you have to think and find out what makes sense, or if someone is trying to make more money off you (for the record my car is already the 86k one, one step below exec package. so unless exec package has something that i don't, namely heated windshield?)

i guess i'd be more willing to deal with this problem than electronic problems on the s class and is never fixed throughout warranty

Quick Reply: don't crack your windshield!