LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

don't crack your windshield!

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-07, 12:33 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts
Smile don't crack your windshield!

so last week when i was driving on the freeway a rock flew by, bam, and upon hearing that noise i knew something cracked.... so i got this dime size crack on the windshield.

sigh.... i eventually got it repaired (thank god it's not too big) for 60 bucks, but while toying with the idea of replacing the windshield, guess what i found.

a brand new windshield from lexus is whopping 1800 bucks! there are several windshield available for the ls460, including the rain sensors (integrated into glass) and what not. i guess mine is probably among the most expensive, but man, 1800 bucks, that's quite some money.

i talked to couple of glass repair/replace shop. since the car is sill so new, none of them have any glasses available for this car yet. factory ones are the only options

now i pray i don't crack it again
Old 12-18-07, 12:48 PM
CEOEngr
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yikes!!!!!

In Houston metropolitan area it is a "truckers gift" that is bound to get you sooner or later. So far our record.

2001 LS 430 replaced 3 times. (sold)
2007 RX350 replaced once.
2004 Mini Cooper S replaced 2 times.
2005 G35 replaced once.
2005 CLK500 replaced once.
Old 12-18-07, 01:37 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,486 Likes on 1,633 Posts

Wowza. How was it 'fixed' for only $60? Not familiar with windshield repair.
Old 12-18-07, 01:42 PM
bsims_01
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I caught a rock on my windshield before the car was even 2 weeks old. Fortunately, the crack was small and repairable ($45). Unfortunately, the crack is directly in my line of sight and, while the repair job is good, it is not invisible. Sure beats dropping the big bucks for a new windshield though.
Old 12-18-07, 01:42 PM
Mike_TX
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I mentioned in another thread that one of the car mags had to have two of them replaced on their long-term tester. The first one cost them over $2,100! The second one was more in line with your $1,800 figure.

Not a windshield to be taken lightly!

Old 12-18-07, 02:36 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
Wowza. How was it 'fixed' for only $60? Not familiar with windshield repair.
if a crack is small enough (usually the size of a quarter is the reference point), they can repair it by putting some sort of adhesive into the crack. it will NOT remove the crack visually, but it will bong the glass together and prevent the crack from spreading.

so don't think the crack will go away. it might go away SOME, but you should still be able to tell
Old 12-18-07, 02:52 PM
GS3Tek

Received 168 Likes on 127 Posts

Somehow, I think the lexus glass is too fragile. I heard a slight crack and the crack was close to a dime size for my gs
There's a place nearby that did it for $65. They used a dremel with a supersmall bit, sucked out the air, and squeeze the adhesive in.

You can still see the line but it was to prevent from getting worst.
Old 12-18-07, 03:00 PM
Mike_TX
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by rominl
it will NOT remove the crack visually, but it will bong the glass together and prevent the crack from spreading.
So they've found another use for weed?

Old 12-18-07, 03:01 PM
Nospinzone

Received 427 Likes on 330 Posts

I guess insurance coverage is different in Massachusetts. If your windsheild cracks for any reason (stones, vandalism, sudden heating or cooling) its fully covered (no deductible). Over the years I've had windshields on my car or my wife's car replaced for all those reasons at no cost.
Old 12-18-07, 03:15 PM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 226 Likes on 153 Posts

Pricey but not surprising, I've heard MB charging prices in that range for the windshield of their top end cars like ages ago LOL
Old 12-18-07, 03:43 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by GS3Tek
Somehow, I think the lexus glass is too fragile. I heard a slight crack and the crack was close to a dime size for my gs
There's a place nearby that did it for $65. They used a dremel with a supersmall bit, sucked out the air, and squeeze the adhesive in.

You can still see the line but it was to prevent from getting worst.
i wouldn't really say that. my gs400 glass had been very strong. i strongly believe it's about the object and the angle of the hit. look at the video in the car chat forum on the audi glass. using a metal bar and hit didn't do anything, but a brick with the angle and force did the trick.

put it this way. i wouldn't try, but i think if you have a big fat tire come flying and hit the windshield, it might not crack. but a shape small rock like the one i hit, bingo. it's about pressure point

Originally Posted by Mike_TX
So they've found another use for weed?

lol, spell check owns

Originally Posted by Nospinzone
I guess insurance coverage is different in Massachusetts. If your windsheild cracks for any reason (stones, vandalism, sudden heating or cooling) its fully covered (no deductible). Over the years I've had windshields on my car or my wife's car replaced for all those reasons at no cost.
nop, not the case here in socal for sure. i specifically asked about it. you pay deductible, and believe it or not it goes into your record. happened to my friend and i am not going to risk it
Old 12-18-07, 03:54 PM
rjm
Lead Lap

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

$1800 is just the cost of the windshield. It's another $250 or so to have it installed.
Old 12-18-07, 04:34 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

yup, that's just the price of windshield
Old 12-18-07, 04:36 PM
Nospinzone

Received 427 Likes on 330 Posts

nop, not the case here in socal for sure.

In Mass. they treat it as a safety issue, hence the requirement for insurance companies to replace cracked windsheilds. Up through this year the insurance industry is highly regulated by the Commonwealth. However, next year there will be open competiton and new insurance companies will be entering the market. Now I'm wondering if things like windshield coverage will change.
Old 12-18-07, 06:22 PM
Craig B
Pole Position

Received 55 Likes on 39 Posts

It doesn't go against your record here in Missouri. I have 100.00 deductable for comp. and that covers glass. That sucks about your windshield. That happened a few years back on an LS 400 with 800 miles on it. The windshield had to be replaced, but I think it was 800.00...

Craig

Quick Reply: don't crack your windshield!