LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

CD info database?

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-08, 02:19 PM
PatsSoxfan
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default CD info database?

Does anyone know from which database the sound system on the LS draws CD album and track information? The reason I need to know this is because my son has created a CD and would like to upload the information to this database. He knows that it is not the database that Itunes uses.
Old 01-01-08, 04:56 PM
vraa
CL Folding Team Starter

Received 358 Likes on 207 Posts

I think it's gracenote, it's cddb

I don't think it's open, it's not meant for burned cds and what not.

You should be able to have your recorder software burn the CD-TEXT to the cd though, I think that's within specifications and it should show up the track names on the system.

Actually on second though, I don't think iTunes does that, you might have to try Nero or something, or Toast if you're on a Mac.

Also, I think you can burn mp3s straight to a cd / dvd and the system will recognize it and play it appropriately

Too bad the system can't play any lossless compressed formats like apple lossless or flac.
Old 01-01-08, 06:01 PM
PatsSoxfan
Lead Lap

Default redbook audio

Thanks for the reply vraa. This is PatsSoxfan's son.

It really is too bad the system doesn't allow FLAC or ALAC playback. It's also too bad the hardrive import features are so limited. 128 or 256 kbps just isn't enough. Looking in the manual, I couldn't even find out what format the compression is in. I would assume it to be MP3.

Unfortunately, there's no way to encode title and track information via redbook audio. In this case, I used toast. However, it is possible for anyone to upload the info to a given database, so long as the disc has only one artist. I assume this is to keep people from uploading info for mix cds. At least, that's how the database that iTunes draws from works. I'll definitely check out Gracenote though.
Old 01-01-08, 06:41 PM
vraa
CL Folding Team Starter

Received 358 Likes on 207 Posts

I sent off a few emails to... somewhere, probably the abyss of Toyota, but I encourage you to do so as well.

If they are going to advertise that they have a good sound system, they better have the software capabilities to back it up. Lossy formats just sound *worse* on a good audio system.
Old 01-02-08, 03:09 AM
astrotoy
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I agree that 256K is not adequate to reproduce the best sound. It is much better than the 128K however. So far I have found that playing the lossless files from my ipod through the aux input works quite well. Also you can play a CD that you have already recorded or turn off the record switch and it will play the CD at normal CD resolution. However, the best sound I have heard is from playing DVD-A format music (not DVD's). They are not the easiest to find. I have about a dozen. The relatively new Beatles LOVE album in DVD-A sounds very good. It is the remixed (by Sir George Martin and son) compilation done for the Cirque du Soleil show in Las Vegas. Unfortunately, the sound system will not play SACD's in their true format -only the CD version from the hybrid discs.
Old 01-02-08, 08:55 AM
PatsSoxfan
Lead Lap

Default 1/8 inch line-in

astrotoy, do you find that the 1/8 inch line-in port (inside the console) is a high qaulity one? They're typically an area of major signal quality bottle necking. However, the line-out signal quality in most portable devices is also poor at best. The only possible way around this problem is to get one of Red Wine Audio's iMods.

The above paragraph was written by my son. That jargon is all "Chinese" to the PatsSoxfan.
Old 01-02-08, 12:08 PM
sbdan
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by vraa
I think it's gracenote, it's cddb

Originally Posted by PatsSoxfan
At least, that's how the database that iTunes draws from works. I'll definitely check out Gracenote though.
hi all,

i am pretty sure that it is gracenote's cbbd that is used. from their website http://www.cddb.com/ they indicated that they are indeed the same database used for iTunes.

the database on your ls460 hard drive does not update automatically, though. the dealers have the update info. my understanding is that gracenote updates are free at the dealer.
Old 01-02-08, 06:27 PM
astrotoy
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'll check more carefully when I get back home (I'm on an around the world trip) later in January. Currently I am in Hong Kong where I haven't seen any 460's. The cheif administrator has a new 600 - and I haven't seen it either. People with that kind of money (cars cost between 1.5 and 2 times what they cost in the US) typically have drivers - so you don't have to find a place to park (just about impossible in this amazingly crowded city.)

Originally Posted by PatsSoxfan
astrotoy, do you find that the 1/8 inch line-in port (inside the console) is a high qaulity one? They're typically an area of major signal quality bottle necking. However, the line-out signal quality in most portable devices is also poor at best. The only possible way around this problem is to get one of Red Wine Audio's iMods.

The above paragraph was written by my son. That jargon is all "Chinese" to the PatsSoxfan.
Old 01-03-08, 03:55 PM
Nospinzone

Received 427 Likes on 330 Posts

Thanks for the reply vraa. This is PatsSoxfan's son.

You mean they allow Pats/Sox fans to procreate?!