LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

iPhone as iPod in the LS "How" ?

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-08, 08:18 PM
uae
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default iPhone as iPod in the LS "How" ?

Hello guys, i hate to be noob. But i have never used an ipod in a car before. I have managed to connect the mobile phone to the car with no problems.So can anyone explain step by step how to integrate the iphone in the LS and change the music using the steering wheel. Does it have to do with the bluetooth or i need a tranmitter as my friends say. I need more details.

Thanx in advance.
Old 01-03-08, 10:36 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

stock wise there is no ipod connection on the ls460

if you want, you can check out vaistech.com and see if they have anything for the car (but i don't know if the menu will work right since it's for english nav)
Old 01-04-08, 05:52 AM
ironhorse
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi uae, you can plug your iphone in the AUX outlet in the center console, what you do is: where the ear phones plug in the iphone there is a wire that you can get from radio shack that plugs into the AUX outlet, switch the radio to AUX and the ipod will play through the radio, you will not be able to use the steering wheel controls but the ipod will play. What some have done like me is to get a Ipod integrate kit, the one I got was from vaistech.com the dealer has to do the install but this kit will let you see your play lists and everything else that is on you ipod on the Nav screen and also gives you the steering wheel controls. I had the dealer install the kit in the center console so the plug is out of sight and best of all the kit also charges your iphone as well. Sorry I have not answered your PM till now. hope this helps
Old 01-04-08, 06:58 AM
guy999
Driver School Candidate

how much is the usual price including install for the vasitech stuff, and can you use it with 2 different ipods, ie mine and my wife's
Old 01-04-08, 09:04 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by guy999
how much is the usual price including install for the vasitech stuff, and can you use it with 2 different ipods, ie mine and my wife's
i think the install should be about the same as installing the nav kit, since everything has to come out. it will take probably 1 1/2 hour and good to have 2 people to aid the install

i don't see why you can't use two ipod, basically you just plug it in and play (and controls are just controls)
Old 01-04-08, 09:10 AM
ironhorse
Driver

Yes you can use 2 Ipods, like rommi said it is simple plug and play, I think the cost of the kit was in the 300.000 range, they were great to deal with, you can find their info on this site or just go to their site.
Old 01-04-08, 10:55 AM
uae
Lexus Test Driver

Guys can you please check this out ,,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zNUUw9ZAWbo

It is the Kensington Digital FM Transmitter/Charger for iPod, Model #: KML 33185

Im thinking of getting it, will there be any loses in sound quality or someone has used it and its perfect ? Is this better than the one that comes from vaistech.com ?
Old 01-04-08, 11:07 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

i don't think it will be better than the one from vaistech. it's a FM transmitter after all, i haven' heard the FM transmitter (not this particular one) for ipod, sound degraded

moreover, with vaistech, if they have one for the ls460 and it works on your car, you can have all the controls
Old 01-04-08, 11:08 AM
guy999
Driver School Candidate

i am going to install the ipod kit, and also the navi kit once i get my ls
Old 01-04-08, 12:43 PM
ironhorse
Driver

I have used one kinda like the one you listed above, sometimes you may have a little radio noise but most of the time it will work fine, you will not be able to use the steering wheels controls though. I would call vasistech they are great to deal with and will answer all your questions....
Old 01-04-08, 02:16 PM
uae
Lexus Test Driver

Thanks Guys all your comments mean too much for me.

Originally Posted by ironhorse
Hi uae, you can plug your iphone in the AUX outlet in the center console, what you do is: where the ear phones plug in the iphone there is a wire that you can get from radio shack that plugs into the AUX outlet, switch the radio to AUX and the ipod will play through the radio, you will not be able to use the steering wheel controls but the ipod will play. What some have done like me is to get a Ipod integrate kit, the one I got was from vaistech.com the dealer has to do the install but this kit will let you see your play lists and everything else that is on you ipod on the Nav screen and also gives you the steering wheel controls. I had the dealer install the kit in the center console so the plug is out of sight and best of all the kit also charges your iphone as well. Sorry I have not answered your PM till now. hope this helps

Is this the one ?

Can installation be done manually since i live in the middle east ?

Can video play while the car is in motion ? ( later on it will be a matter of copy - paste video files to the ipod)
Old 01-04-08, 02:35 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

they don't have video ipod kits yet. and if you get whatever kits they have now, it won't be an upgrade. it will be a completely different unit
Old 01-04-08, 03:41 PM
uae
Lexus Test Driver

Thanx henry ,

I sent inquiries to the company itself in an hour and i got quick feedback from them. I have been put on the correct track. The device needed is this SL2i:

But the problem is with the installation itself:
im not sure how im going to do all that by myself. I read the manual,I get lost several times. If any of you are an expertise in this particular thing and can break things down easy so they can be done manually i would be grateful:

-> Manual:
http://www.vaistech.com/manuals/Manual_SL2i.pdf

-> Source :
http://www.vaistech.com/

As seen from the picture below its easy to connect all wires except the ones i circled in red:

Could someone show the location of those on the LS please ??
.To the factory Audio harness
.To the head Unit

edit , update ( im still lost )

Last edited by uae; 01-04-08 at 04:09 PM.
Old 01-04-08, 04:29 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

trust me, it's not hard at all. once you pul out the head unit and the such, everything is trivial. there are only several connections at the back of the head unit, and most of them are totally different (at least the ones that you have to deal with here), so there is no way you can mess it up.

basically what you do is, unplug the harness from the audio unit, plug that into the harness provided by vaistech. and then the other end of the vaistech harness, you plug back into the audio unit

the idea is like inserting a T junction on the stock harness, like "tapping" onto the stock system
Old 01-04-08, 04:37 PM
uae
Lexus Test Driver

Sorry for insisting henry . But im still lost.
Originally Posted by rominl
there are only several connections at the back of the head unit, and most of them are totally different (at least the ones that you have to deal with here),
Where exactly should i insert the head unit. is it at the back of the car(if yes, then where) or at the front. ? If you could take a photo inside the LS of the location where the head unit is plugged , you would be helpful

Originally Posted by rominl
basically what you do is, unplug the harness from the audio unit, plug that into the harness provided by vaistech. and then the other end of the vaistech harness, you plug back into the audio unit

Similarly for the harness

Quick Reply: iPhone as iPod in the LS "How" ?